Old 04-26-2008, 10:11 PM
Billie Walsh

Default Video settings

I replaced my SuSE install [ it was trashed anyway ] with Kubuntu 8.04
on my secondary computer to play with. I share the monitor with a KVM
switch between the two computers. In 8.04 the monitor flickers. I need
to change the refresh settings. In System Settings I'm not given the
option to do so. The Monitor is an IC Power 900G. A search for IC Power
and 900G fails to bring up anything useful.

Is there some way to reset this outside System Settings?

Old 04-26-2008, 10:46 PM
Bruce Marshall

On Saturday 26 April 2008, Billie Walsh wrote:
> I replaced my SuSE install [ it was trashed anyway ] with Kubuntu 8.04
> on my secondary computer to play with. I share the monitor with a KVM
> switch between the two computers. In 8.04 the monitor flickers. I need
> to change the refresh settings. In System Settings I'm not given the
> option to do so. The Monitor is an IC Power 900G. A search for IC Power
> and 900G fails to bring up anything useful.
>
> Is there some way to reset this outside System Settings?
>
> --
> Life is what happens while your busy making other plans.

I would think "monitor & Display" would do it.

No mention of what video card you are using.

Old 04-27-2008, 02:31 AM
Billie Walsh

Bruce Marshall wrote:
> On Saturday 26 April 2008, Billie Walsh wrote:
>
>> I replaced my SuSE install [ it was trashed anyway ] with Kubuntu 8.04
>> on my secondary computer to play with. I share the monitor with a KVM
>> switch between the two computers. In 8.04 the monitor flickers. I need
>> to change the refresh settings. In System Settings I'm not given the
>> option to do so. The Monitor is an IC Power 900G. A search for IC Power
>> and 900G fails to bring up anything useful.
>>
>> Is there some way to reset this outside System Settings?
>>
>> --
>> Life is what happens while your busy making other plans.
>>

> I would think "monitor & Display" would do it.
>
> No mention of what video card you are using.

The video card is an Intel 845 and uses the i810 driver.

The monitor is configured correctly in 7.10 with the proper refresh
rates as "Plug and Play" monitor. In 8.04 it set the refresh rate to low
and there is no option to set it correctly so I get flicker. Very
annoying and hard on the eyes.

I've used the same monitor with Kubuntu 7.0*, 7.10, OpenSuSE 10.3, and
Windows XP without any problem. I'm thinking somewhere there is a config
file that I can edit to set things right but I don't know what it would
be. Something with "x" I would think.

Old 04-27-2008, 05:43 AM
"Dana J. Laude"

Billie Walsh wrote:
> I replaced my SuSE install [ it was trashed anyway ] with Kubuntu 8.04
> on my secondary computer to play with. I share the monitor with a KVM
> switch between the two computers. In 8.04 the monitor flickers. I need
> to change the refresh settings. In System Settings I'm not given the
> option to do so. The Monitor is an IC Power 900G. A search for IC Power
> and 900G fails to bring up anything useful.
>
> Is there some way to reset this outside System Settings?

If know what your correct specs are for monitor, you can manually edit
your xorg.conf file, which is located in the /etc/X11 directory. I
would suggest you do cp xorg.conf xorg.conf.org, (or something similar)
prior.., just in case. For example, my monitor section looks like so:

Section "Monitor"
Identifier "Generic Monitor"
HorizSync 30.0 - 65.0
VertRefresh 50.0 - 100.0
Option "DPMS"
EndSection

The important parts are HorizSync and VertRefresh. You should put YOUR
monitor manufactors specs in there, or possible monitor trashing may
occur. Hope this helps.

Dana

Old 04-27-2008, 06:05 AM
Nils Kassube

Billie Walsh wrote:
> >> I replaced my SuSE install [ it was trashed anyway ] with Kubuntu
> >> 8.04 on my secondary computer to play with. I share the monitor with
> >> a KVM switch between the two computers. In 8.04 the monitor
> >> flickers. I need to change the refresh settings. In System Settings
> >> I'm not given the option to do so. The Monitor is an IC Power 900G.
> >> A search for IC Power and 900G fails to bring up anything useful.

Was the KVM switched to the 8.04 machine while the xserver started? If the
KVM is switched to another machine, the xserver can't read the specs from
the monitor and uses safe settings.

> I've used the same monitor with Kubuntu 7.0*, 7.10, OpenSuSE 10.3, and
> Windows XP without any problem. I'm thinking somewhere there is a
> config file that I can edit to set things right but I don't know what
> it would be. Something with "x" I would think.

You could copy the section with the monitor specs from /etc/X11/xorg.conf
from e.g. 7.10.

Nils

Old 04-27-2008, 01:22 PM
Billie Walsh

Nils Kassube wrote:

> Was the KVM switched to the 8.04 machine while the xserver started? If the
> KVM is switched to another machine, the xserver can't read the specs from
> the monitor and uses safe settings.
>

>> I've used the same monitor with Kubuntu 7.0*, 7.10, OpenSuSE 10.3, and
>> Windows XP without any problem. I'm thinking somewhere there is a
>> config file that I can edit to set things right but I don't know what
>> it would be. Something with "x" I would think.
>>

> You could copy the section with the monitor specs from /etc/X11/xorg.conf
> from e.g. 7.10.
>

> Nils

For Dana - Thank you, that was the file I was thinking of.

The KVM switch was set to the proper machine for the whole install process.

Here's the pertinent section of xorg,conf from the 8.04 machine:

Section "Device"
Identifier "Configured Video Device"
Boardname "Intel 845"
Busid "PCI:0:2:0"
Driver "i810"
Screen 0
Vendorname "Intel"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
Identifier "Configured Monitor"
Vendorname "Plug 'n' Play"
Modelname "Plug 'n' Play"
modeline "640x480@60" 25.2 640 656 752 800 480 490 492 525 -vsync -hsync
Gamma 1.0
EndSection

From the 7.10 machine:

Section "Device"
Identifier "ATI Technologies Inc RC410 [Radeon Xpress 200]"
Driver "fglrx"
Busid "PCI:1:5:0"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
Identifier "Generic Monitor"
Option "DPMS"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
Identifier "Default Screen"
Device "ATI Technologies Inc RC410 [Radeon Xpress 200]"
Monitor "Generic Monitor"
Defaultdepth 24
SubSection "Display"
Modes "1280x1024" "1024x768" "832x624"
"800x600" "720x400" "640x480"
EndSubSection
EndSection

The native resolution for the monitor is 1280x1024 with a horizontal
refresh of 80 and a vertical of 75. It almost looks to me like the 8.04
is running 640x480@60 BUT the resolution on the screen is not 640x480.
It "looks" more like 1280x1024. The "60" would explain the flicker though.

I'm open for suggestions. *<[)

Old 04-27-2008, 02:06 PM
"Jonas Norlander"

2008/4/27 Billie Walsh <bilwalsh@swbell.net>:

> The native resolution for the monitor is 1280x1024 with a horizontal
> refresh of 80 and a vertical of 75. It almost looks to me like the 8.04
> is running 640x480@60 BUT the resolution on the screen is not 640x480.
> It "looks" more like 1280x1024. The "60" would explain the flicker though.
>
> I'm open for suggestions. *<[)

To see what settings the monitor is running at you could ether look at
the xorg log or run xvidtune.

/ Jonas

Old 04-27-2008, 02:24 PM
Nils Kassube

Billie Walsh wrote:
> The native resolution for the monitor is 1280x1024 with a horizontal
> refresh of 80 and a vertical of 75. It almost looks to me like the 8.04
> is running 640x480@60 BUT the resolution on the screen is not 640x480.
> It "looks" more like 1280x1024. The "60" would explain the flicker
> though.

Probably the modeline for 640x480@60 is not in use, if it looks like
1280x1024. Like Bruce Marshall wrote in a previous mail, try
systemsettings -> monitor & display. There you can at least see the
resolution and refresh rate actually used. Furthermore, there you should
be able to configure a generic monitor of 1280x1024 (at the tab
Hardware / administrator mode).

But this reminds me of another 1280x1024 monitor I have seen the other
day. With the frequency ranges of the monitor, it wasn't possible to get
1280x1024 at a higher refresh rate than 60Hz. A higher refresh rate was
only possible for 1024x768 or lower resolution. Maybe that is your
problem as well.

Nils

Old 04-27-2008, 03:25 PM
Billie Walsh

Nils Kassube wrote:
> Billie Walsh wrote:
>
>> The native resolution for the monitor is 1280x1024 with a horizontal
>> refresh of 80 and a vertical of 75. It almost looks to me like the 8.04
>> is running 640x480@60 BUT the resolution on the screen is not 640x480.
>> It "looks" more like 1280x1024. The "60" would explain the flicker
>> though.
>>

> Probably the modeline for 640x480@60 is not in use, if it looks like
> 1280x1024. Like Bruce Marshall wrote in a previous mail, try
> systemsettings -> monitor & display. There you can at least see the
> resolution and refresh rate actually used. Furthermore, there you should
> be able to configure a generic monitor of 1280x1024 (at the tab
> Hardware / administrator mode).

I manually selected "Generic Monitor 1280x1024". Probably NOT the best
possible choice but.....................

All I get are "ranges" for the refresh rates with no way to set the
actual rate I want used. [ I don't think I can send through a screen
shot. ] The "range" shows horizontal of 31 to 81 and vertical of 50 to
75 but the flicker tells me it actually running at something near 60 for
the vertical.

> But this reminds me of another 1280x1024 monitor I have seen the other
> day. With the frequency ranges of the monitor, it wasn't possible to get
> 1280x1024 at a higher refresh rate than 60Hz. A higher refresh rate was
> only possible for 1024x768 or lower resolution. Maybe that is your
> problem as well.

I know the system is capable of running at 1280x1024@75 because it has
done so with XP and SuSE 10.* with no problems.

> Nils

Is there someplace for a "wish list" of things we would like to see in
(K)Ubuntu? My one and only real complaint with Kubuntu is the lack of
good hardware configuration. SuSE has Yast, which IMHO is the "killer
app" for them. Other than that one thing I much prefer Kubuntu.

Old 04-27-2008, 03:30 PM
Bruce Marshall

On Sunday 27 April 2008, Billie Walsh wrote:
> I know the system is capable of running at 1280x1024@75 because it has
> done so with XP and SuSE 10.* with no problems.

Show us the 'Monitor' section of your /etc/X11/xorg.conf file