Old 04-26-2008, 01:32 PM
Nigel Ridley

Default Desktop Effects and other users

Since I didn't want a repeat situation of messing up my KDE and 10 desktops, I created a
new user to experiment with Desktop Effects (K > System > Desktop Effects).
Strange thing is it doesn't do anything. On my account (first) it does, but on the new
account it does absolutely zilch, nada!

Can someone confirm this?

Blessings,

Nigel

--
OliveRoot Ministries
http://www.oliveroot.net/

PrayingForIsrael.net
http://www.prayingforisrael.net/

Old 04-26-2008, 03:10 PM
Ronnie Tucker

Nigel Ridley wrote:

Since I didn't want a repeat situation of messing up my KDE and 10 desktops, I created a
new user to experiment with Desktop Effects (K > System > Desktop Effects).
Strange thing is it doesn't do anything. On my account (first) it does, but on the new
account it does absolutely zilch, nada!

Can someone confirm this?

Blessings,

Nigel

I was playing around with the Desktop Effects in my fresh Kubuntu Hardy
install last night and it seems very easy to confuse it.

First, I enabled the desktop effects and I could see the drop shadows
and it asked me if everything looked OK, I clicked to accept the
current settings but then the drop shadows vanished. After tinkering
with some windows, although it was enabled, I really didn't have any
effects. No transparency or animations.

Going in to the advanced settings I picked Xrender (rather than OpenGL)
and that gave me the transparency effects and fading but still no drop
shadows. Better than nothing I thought. Checked the list of effects and
drop shadow is ticked there as well as on the enable tab. Strange.

One thing I noticed was that VLC couldn't display any videos properly.
Dragon Player was the same (if not worse). The videos were all blocky
then displayed black blocks all over them. After turning off the
desktop effects my VLC was fine.

Very odd indeed...*

I was kinda hoping desktop effects would work... might have to install
Compiz now...* :/

--
Ronnie Tucker

ronnie@ronnietucker.co.uk