Old 04-26-2008, 05:18 AM
Constantinos Maltezos

Default spalah flash

Hi again.

I'm wondering has anyone here successfully tried the program Spalah Flash?
It's an open source project for something with which to make Flash
animations.

I downloaded the source and tried compiling and first got errors dealing with
libgnomecanvas or whatever, but I installed the dev package for that and that
is no longer a problem. However, now when I try it, during make it gives me
the following messages:

spa-canvas-view-item.c: In function ‘spa_canvas_view_set_glyphs’:
spa-canvas-view-item.c:94: warning: assignment discards qualifiers from
pointer target type
spa-canvas-view-item.c:118: warning: pointer targets in passing argument 1
of ‘gnome_font_face_find_closest_from_weight_slant differ in signedness
spa-canvas-view-item.c:142: warning: assignment discards qualifiers from
pointer target type
spa-canvas-view-item.c:144: warning: implicit declaration of
function ‘gnome_canvas_bpath_get_type’
spa-canvas-view-item.c:145: warning: implicit declaration of
function ‘gnome_canvas_path_def_new_from_foreign_bpath’
spa-canvas-view-item.c:168: warning: assignment discards qualifiers from
pointer target type
spa-canvas-view-item.c: In function ‘spa_string_path2length’:
spa-canvas-view-item.c:262: warning: function returns address of local
variable
spa-canvas-view-item.c:300: warning: function returns address of local
variable
spa-canvas-view-item.c:323: error: label at end of compound statement
spa-canvas-view-item.c:326: warning: function returns address of local
variable
make[2]: *** [spalah-spa-canvas-view-item.o] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/coz/My
Documents/Downloads/spalah-flash-0.03/src'
make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/coz/My
Documents/Downloads/spalah-flash-0.03'
make: *** [all] Error 2

Now, the error still seems to have something to do with that "canvas" thing,
but at this point, I'm not sure what's missing. Any ideas?

Old 04-26-2008, 12:44 PM
David McGlone

On Saturday 26 April 2008 1:18:43 am Constantinos Maltezos wrote:
> Hi again.
>
> I'm wondering has anyone here successfully tried the program Spalah Flash?
> It's an open source project for something with which to make Flash
> animations.
>
> I downloaded the source and tried compiling and first got errors dealing
> with libgnomecanvas or whatever, but I installed the dev package for that
> and that is no longer a problem. However, now when I try it, during make
> it gives me the following messages:
>
> spa-canvas-view-item.c: In function ‘spa_canvas_view_set_glyphs’:
> spa-canvas-view-item.c:94: warning: assignment discards qualifiers from
> pointer target type
> spa-canvas-view-item.c:118: warning: pointer targets in passing argument 1
> of ‘gnome_font_face_find_closest_from_weight_slant differ in signedness
> spa-canvas-view-item.c:142: warning: assignment discards qualifiers from
> pointer target type
> spa-canvas-view-item.c:144: warning: implicit declaration of
> function ‘gnome_canvas_bpath_get_type’
> spa-canvas-view-item.c:145: warning: implicit declaration of
> function ‘gnome_canvas_path_def_new_from_foreign_bpath’
> spa-canvas-view-item.c:168: warning: assignment discards qualifiers from
> pointer target type
> spa-canvas-view-item.c: In function ‘spa_string_path2length’:
> spa-canvas-view-item.c:262: warning: function returns address of local
> variable
> spa-canvas-view-item.c:300: warning: function returns address of local
> variable
> spa-canvas-view-item.c:323: error: label at end of compound statement
> spa-canvas-view-item.c:326: warning: function returns address of local
> variable
> make[2]: *** [spalah-spa-canvas-view-item.o] Error 1
> make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/coz/My
> Documents/Downloads/spalah-flash-0.03/src'
> make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
> make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/coz/My
> Documents/Downloads/spalah-flash-0.03'
> make: *** [all] Error 2
>
> Now, the error still seems to have something to do with that "canvas"
> thing, but at this point, I'm not sure what's missing. Any ideas?

Do you have gcc installed?

Old 04-26-2008, 01:02 PM
"D. Michael McIntyre"

On Saturday 26 April 2008, Constantinos Maltezos wrote:

> spa-canvas-view-item.c:323: error: label at end of compound statement

> Now, the error still seems to have something to do with that "canvas"
> thing, but at this point, I'm not sure what's missing. Any ideas?

That's the critical error causing the failure. That along with the string of
other stuff makes me think this thing you're trying to build is either very
new or very old and obsolete.

If it's new, it might be something that happens to build in its developer's
home environment, but not elsewhere. If it's old, it might be something that
no longer builds unmodified with modern compilers.

OK, I had a look. No developer activity in the past 12 months, no release
since 2004. No bug reports since 2005, and the last one was a build problem.

Unless you want to fix it yourself and take over development, I'd say you have
absolutely no chance of getting anywhere with this. It looks like a pretty
good example of why if something isn't in your distro yet, it probably isn't
worth the bother.
--
D. Michael McIntyre

Old 04-26-2008, 07:52 PM
Constantinos Maltezos

> OK, I had a look. No developer activity in the past 12 months, no release
> since 2004. No bug reports since 2005, and the last one was a build
> problem.

Thanks. I didn't think to check that.

> Unless you want to fix it yourself and take over development, I'd say you
> have absolutely no chance of getting anywhere with this. It looks like a
> pretty good example of why if something isn't in your distro yet, it
> probably isn't worth the bother.

I have quite a few applications that I can't get through the repositories that
I use regularly. A few of them are commercial programs, but there are a few
that I've compiled myself. The dosbox frontend that I use comes to mind.

Old 04-27-2008, 12:24 AM
"D. Michael McIntyre"

On Saturday 26 April 2008, Constantinos Maltezos wrote:
> I have quite a few applications that I can't get through the repositories
> that I use regularly.

I'm not saying it never happens. It's just a good rule of thumb. There are
thousands of these little forgotten project nuggets out there, and if the
project ever released any code at all, SourceForge likes to keep them alive
forever. It's easy to wind up wasting time with something that looks
promising, but turns out to be an abandoned dream from yesteryear.

Kind of like your milk, if it doesn't smell quite right, check the dates
first.
--
D. Michael McIntyre