Old 04-25-2008, 05:41 PM
"Richard S. Crawford"

Default services?

On Fri, Apr 25, 2008 at 10:24 AM, Willy Hamra <w.hamra1987@gmail.com> wrote:

I dont know if this is what they are called on linux, they are called so on windows, i want to know about programs that run on startup, usually with root permissions, how can i add a program to such a list?
thanks in advance

Willy,

To find out what services you have available and are running, go to:

K Menu -> System Settings

Then click on the Advanced tab, and then click on "System Services".

As to which services you want to add, that depends. Which services are you planning to add? Why do they need root access?

--
Richard S. Crawford (rscrawford@mossroot.com)

http://www.mossroot.com
Publisher and Editor in Chief, Daikaijuzine (http://www.daikaijuzine.com)

Old 04-26-2008, 12:43 PM
David McGlone

On Saturday 26 April 2008 6:36:41 am Willy Hamra wrote:
> i installed polipo, a cache program, and i want it to start at startup

One way you could do it is put it in your startup folder in /home.

David M.

Old 04-28-2008, 01:42 PM
Derek Broughton

David McGlone wrote:

> On Saturday 26 April 2008 6:36:41 am Willy Hamra wrote:
>> i installed polipo, a cache program, and i want it to start at startup
>
> One way you could do it is put it in your startup folder in /home.

Not /home :-)

$HOME - which is /home/$USER

But I have a few comments about that, anyway.

polipo should be automatically running out of /etc/init.d/, so you shouldn't
need to do anything.

I used polipo: now (as of last week) I'm using wwwoffle. Wwwoffle is _much_
better - it should run out of /etc/init.d/ too.

And what startup folder is in your home directory, anyway? Programs started
under kubuntu at user login to kde are in $HOME/.kde/Autostart. Programs
started at shell login would have to be manually added to one of the
~/.bash* scripts.
--
derek

Old 04-28-2008, 09:15 PM
David McGlone

On Monday 28 April 2008 9:42:24 am Derek Broughton wrote:
> David McGlone wrote:
> > On Saturday 26 April 2008 6:36:41 am Willy Hamra wrote:
> >> i installed polipo, a cache program, and i want it to start at startup
> >
> > One way you could do it is put it in your startup folder in /home.
>
> Not /home :-)
>
> $HOME - which is /home/$USER
>
> But I have a few comments about that, anyway.
>
> polipo should be automatically running out of /etc/init.d/, so you
> shouldn't need to do anything.
>
> I used polipo: now (as of last week) I'm using wwwoffle. Wwwoffle is
> _much_ better - it should run out of /etc/init.d/ too.
>
> And what startup folder is in your home directory, anyway? Programs
> started under kubuntu at user login to kde are in $HOME/.kde/Autostart.

Dang, You're right. I seriously had a brain fart here, I was thinking of M$'s
startup folder. It's sad but true, 99.9% of my time repairing computers is an
M$ system, the other .1% is my own linux system.

Old 04-28-2008, 11:21 PM
Derek Broughton

David McGlone wrote:

>> And what startup folder is in your home directory, anyway? Programs
>> started under kubuntu at user login to kde are in $HOME/.kde/Autostart.
>
> Dang, You're right. I seriously had a brain fart here, I was thinking of
> M$'s startup folder. It's sad but true, 99.9% of my time repairing
> computers is an M$ system, the other .1% is my own linux system.

LOL. That's probably the best reason I could imagine for such a brain
fart :-)
--
derek