Old 04-25-2008, 05:26 PM
Nigel Ridley

Default Desktop Effects

After playing with compiz etc. I removed all the packages and tried the 'Desktop Effects'
from the 'System' entry on the 'K Menu'. It tells me that the compiz engine is installed
(compiz KDE) and I then choose 'Extra Effects' (You'll Need Sunglasses) and my 10 desktops
disappear - leaving me with just 4.

How do I get more than 4 desktops?

Blessings,

Nigel

--
OliveRoot Ministries
http://www.oliveroot.net/

PrayingForIsrael.net
http://www.prayingforisrael.net/

Old 04-25-2008, 05:45 PM
"Richard S. Crawford"

After playing with compiz etc. I removed all the packages and tried the 'Desktop Effects'

from the 'System' entry on the 'K Menu'. It tells me that the compiz engine is installed

(compiz KDE) and I then choose 'Extra Effects' (You'll Need Sunglasses) and my 10 desktops

disappear - leaving me with just 4.

How do I get more than 4 desktops?

Nigel,

Not sure you can without having Compiz and the Compiz configuration control panel installed.* You can reinstall the Compiz packages, and then in "Desktop Effects", select "Custom".* Then you can go to the Advanced Desktop Effects Configuration (I can't remember for sure what it's called, but I know it's under "Settings"). I believe the number of desktops is set in "General Preferences".

--
Richard S. Crawford (rscrawford@mossroot.com)
http://www.mossroot.com

Old 06-05-2008, 09:13 AM
Paul Kaplan

Running hardy.

When I launch "Desktop Effects" there's no difference between "no effects"
standard, extra or custom effects. Selecting one and then the "apply" button
results in the screen flashing once and redrawing all windows, but no effects
are enabled. On the same machine in Gutsy, the command compiz --replace
enabled effects which could be controlled thru the Advanced Desktop Effects
tool.

What's with the effects in Hardy?
Paul

Old 06-05-2008, 09:41 AM
Chris Jones

Paul Kaplan wrote:
> Running hardy.
>
> When I launch "Desktop Effects" there's no difference between "no effects"
> standard, extra or custom effects. Selecting one and then the "apply" button
> results in the screen flashing once and redrawing all windows, but no effects
> are enabled. On the same machine in Gutsy, the command compiz --replace
> enabled effects which could be controlled thru the Advanced Desktop Effects
> tool.
>
> What's with the effects in Hardy?

Effects work just fine here.

Sounds like your graphics driver doesn't support the GL extensions
needed by compiz. What video card do you have and which driver are you
using ?

Chris

Old 06-15-2008, 01:21 AM
"Stephen Ransom"

I had the same problem. I'm using an ati card, and so the open source default driver didn't work. If you install the restricted driver (kmenu> system> hardware manager) it may work, but be careful when changing your display drivers.

Old 02-20-2010, 03:15 PM
Frédéric SOSSON

Hello,

I just installed Kubunutu 9.10 (up2date) running KDE 4.3.2. I got
graphic card nVidia GeForce 8400 GS and no desktop effect available.

When I run "dpkg -l | grep nvidia" I got:

ii nvidia-173-modaliases 173.14.20-0ubuntu5
Modaliases for the NVIDIA binary X.Org drive
ii nvidia-185-kernel-source 185.18.36-0ubuntu9
NVIDIA binary kernel module source
ii nvidia-185-libvdpau 185.18.36-0ubuntu9
Video Decode and Presentation API for Unix
ii nvidia-185-modaliases 185.18.36-0ubuntu9
Modaliases for the NVIDIA binary X.Org drive
ii nvidia-96-modaliases 96.43.13-0ubuntu6
Modaliases for the NVIDIA binary X.Org drive
ii nvidia-common 0.2.15.1 Find
obsolete NVIDIA drivers
ii nvidia-glx-185 185.18.36-0ubuntu9
NVIDIA binary Xorg driver
ii nvidia-settings 180.25-0ubuntu1
Tool of configuring the NVIDIA graphics driv

I guess it's not enough to run visual effect. Could someone explain
how to get full feature?

regards,

Frédéric

Old 02-20-2010, 04:07 PM
Tom Bell

Frédéric SOSSON wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I just installed Kubunutu 9.10 (up2date) running KDE 4.3.2. I got
> graphic card nVidia GeForce 8400 GS and no desktop effect available.
>
> When I run "dpkg -l | grep nvidia" I got:
>
> ii nvidia-173-modaliases 173.14.20-0ubuntu5
> Modaliases for the NVIDIA binary X.Org drive
> ii nvidia-185-kernel-source 185.18.36-0ubuntu9
> NVIDIA binary kernel module source
> ii nvidia-185-libvdpau 185.18.36-0ubuntu9
> Video Decode and Presentation API for Unix
> ii nvidia-185-modaliases 185.18.36-0ubuntu9
> Modaliases for the NVIDIA binary X.Org drive
> ii nvidia-96-modaliases 96.43.13-0ubuntu6
> Modaliases for the NVIDIA binary X.Org drive
> ii nvidia-common 0.2.15.1 Find
> obsolete NVIDIA drivers
> ii nvidia-glx-185 185.18.36-0ubuntu9
> NVIDIA binary Xorg driver
> ii nvidia-settings 180.25-0ubuntu1
> Tool of configuring the NVIDIA graphics driv
>
> I guess it's not enough to run visual effect. Could someone explain
> how to get full feature?
>
> regards,
>

> Frédéric

At the console command line, type:
nvidia-settings
At that point you will know if you have the correct drivers
installed. That window will allow you to set your driver
settings.
Change ONLY what you understand.
Then you can go to the K-menu -> System Settings ->
Desktop Effects -> All Effects tab to add whatever you
wish in the way of desktop features.
You can add multiple desktops or not.
You can alter the way Screen Edges work.
You can change your Screen Saver.
Enjoy!

Tom

--
"PC, "Where would you like to go today?" ...
Mac, "Where would you like to be tomorrow?" ...

Old 02-20-2010, 05:20 PM
Frédéric SOSSON

It works well now! Thanks Tom.