Old 04-28-2008, 01:42 PM
"Michael Leone"

Default Domain name

On Mon, Apr 28, 2008 at 9:22 AM, Derek Broughton <news@pointerstop.ca> wrote:
> > Not if the "resolvconf" package is installed, I don't think. I had a
> > problem like that, and it was down to the "resolvconf" package. My
> > Linux server is in the process of being rebuilt (hardware issues), but
> > the old advice is sometimes no longer applicable.
>
> Generally you don't want to touch resolv.conf (in fact, it usually says
> so...). You set your domain name in dhclient.conf (I've said this so many
> times, I leave it as an exercise to the reader to find it and set it).

Since I use static IPs for my machine, no, I don't set it in
dhclient.conf. :-) I take your point, however.

--
Michael J. Leone
<mailto:turgon@mike-leone.com>

Old 04-28-2008, 02:23 PM
Derek Broughton

Michael Leone wrote:

> On Mon, Apr 28, 2008 at 9:22 AM, Derek Broughton <news@pointerstop.ca>
> wrote:
>> > Not if the "resolvconf" package is installed, I don't think. I had a
>> > problem like that, and it was down to the "resolvconf" package. My
>> > Linux server is in the process of being rebuilt (hardware issues), but
>> > the old advice is sometimes no longer applicable.
>>
>> Generally you don't want to touch resolv.conf (in fact, it usually says
>> so...). You set your domain name in dhclient.conf (I've said this so
>> many times, I leave it as an exercise to the reader to find it and set
>> it).
>
> Since I use static IPs for my machine, no, I don't set it in
> dhclient.conf. :-) I take your point, however.

Do you use static IPs with wireless (as the OP is)? I think the
configuration requirements for that are much more awkward than configuring
the router to always serve up the same IP address for each MAC.
--
derek

Old 04-28-2008, 02:56 PM
"Michael Leone"

On Mon, Apr 28, 2008 at 10:23 AM, Derek Broughton <news@pointerstop.ca> wrote:

> > Since I use static IPs for my machine, no, I don't set it in
> > dhclient.conf. :-) I take your point, however.
>
> Do you use static IPs with wireless (as the OP is)?

No, wireless is the only thing I use DHCP for. However, in my case,
the DHCP is coming from a Win2003 domain (my Linux server, which used
to do this, died a horrible death, and it was quicker to just
re-configure Windows to do it, than to get a new hard drive). And I
never changed it back, since it Just Works ...

Old 02-12-2009, 08:39 PM
"Karl F. Larsen"

I went to godaddy and perhaps wish not :-) , the darn pages all
wanted me to buy 25 domain names. But I kept at it and got just
"k5di.com" again and will use that with gmail when it goes active. I can
afford $10.00/yr.

Karl

--

Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
Linux User

Old 02-12-2009, 09:59 PM
Dotan Cohen

2009/2/12 Karl F. Larsen <klarsen1@gmail.com>:
> I went to godaddy and perhaps wish not :-) , the darn pages all
> wanted me to buy 25 domain names. But I kept at it and got just
> "k5di.com" again and will use that with gmail when it goes active. I can
> afford $10.00/yr.
>
> Karl

Karl, don't use GoDaddy! I don't know what else to recommend (I have a
special relationship as I register lots of names) but don't use
GoDaddy!

For that matter, please post these messages on the Sounder list. This
is the Ubuntu list, and your topic has nothing to do with Ubuntu.

--
Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com
http://gibberish.co.il

ä-ö-ü-ß-Ä-Ö-Ü

Old 08-31-2012, 09:22 PM
Glenn English

Let's see if I've got this straight...

Debian squeeze gets the host's domain name from the first
non-comment or non-empty line of /etc/hosts?? If it likes
that line??

Not from /etc/hostname and not from the "kernel.domainname = "
line in /etc/sysctl.conf? ("kernel.domainname = example.com" is
that line, commented out, in my recently installed squeeze.)
And not from /etc/resolv.conf? Or does it rely on DNS?

I needed to change a domain name this morning on a computer
I'm working on, and I was told to do those different things
from several different websites. Setting it in /etc/hosts seems
to have worked. Why is this trivial task so obscure?

I must be missing something big time. hostname was coming up with
the right answer, but hostname -f kept saying "Name or service not
known". Can anyone tell me what I've got wrong? And the Debian way
of setting the domain name? (It's working now, AFAIK, but I'd like
to set it correctly...)

--
Glenn English

Old 08-31-2012, 09:51 PM
Tom H

On Fri, Aug 31, 2012 at 5:22 PM, Glenn English <ghe@slsware.com> wrote:

> Debian squeeze gets the host's domain name from the first
> non-comment or non-empty line of /etc/hosts?? If it likes
> that line??
>
> Not from /etc/hostname and not from the "kernel.domainname = "
> line in /etc/sysctl.conf? ("kernel.domainname = example.com" is
> that line, commented out, in my recently installed squeeze.)
> And not from /etc/resolv.conf? Or does it rely on DNS?
>
> I needed to change a domain name this morning on a computer
> I'm working on, and I was told to do those different things
> from several different websites. Setting it in /etc/hosts seems
> to have worked. Why is this trivial task so obscure?
>
> I must be missing something big time. hostname was coming up with
> the right answer, but hostname -f kept saying "Name or service not
> known". Can anyone tell me what I've got wrong? And the Debian way
> of setting the domain name? (It's working now, AFAIK, but I'd like
> to set it correctly...)

With "libnss-myhostname" installed, I have "127.0.0.1 localhost" in
"/etc/hosts" and "host.domain" in "/etc/hostname".

Without "libnss-myhostname" installed, I have "127.0.0.1 localhost"
and either "127.0.1.1 host.domain host" or "a.b.c.d host.domain host"
in "/etc/hosts" and either "host" or "host.domain" in "/etc/hostname".

Old 08-31-2012, 10:14 PM
Glenn English

On Aug 31, 2012, at 3:39 PM, Wolf Halton wrote:

> /etc/resolv.conf
> search domain

Already set.

> /etc/hosts
> second name on line with 127.0.0.1 machine-name

Set to localhost.localdomain

> /etc/hostname
> should just be machine-name

Already set.

> $ hostname -a
> shows what the machine thinks is its fqdn

Now, this answers with an empty string.

hostname -f and --fqdn give the answer I was wanting
to see.

> check also
> /etc/networking/interfaces
> for holdover of old domain name.

There is no such file. Did you mean /etc/network/interfaces?
That exists and has all the interfaces data, but no mention
of a domain name.

But where does the system keep the domain name it uses at boot?

--
Glenn English

Old 08-31-2012, 10:26 PM
Wayne Topa

second name on line with 127.0.0.1 machine-name

Set to localhost.localdomain

/etc/hostname
should just be machine-name

Already set.

$ hostname -a
shows what the machine thinks is its fqdn

Now, this answers with an empty string.

hostname -f and --fqdn give the answer I was wanting
to see.

check also
/etc/networking/interfaces
for holdover of old domain name.

There is no such file. Did you mean /etc/network/interfaces?
That exists and has all the interfaces data, but no mention
of a domain name.

But where does the system keep the domain name it uses at boot?

Doing
man hostname or sethostname might be in order here.

WT

Archive: 504139F9.1090106@gmail.com">http://lists.debian.org/504139F9.1090106@gmail.com

Old 09-01-2012, 12:35 AM
Glenn English

I think I've got it, and it makes sense, in retrospect.

Here's a good site:

http://www.microhowto.info/howto/persistently_change_the_hostname_of_the_local_mach ine_on_debian.html

What happens, apparently, is that nothing ever sets the
domain name at boot. When the kernel wants an FQDN, it
does a machine-name lookup from /etc/hostname then looks
in /etc/hosts for the machine-name. And it expects to find
the machine-name and the FQDN, on one line. Maybe near the
top -- I haven't looked into that.

And if this doesn't work, it goes to DNS for a reverse look
up the of IP. If the DNS lookup returns something with a
machine-name that doesn't match /etc/hostname, it returns
an error.

I think this is how it works. From the futzing I've done,
that seems to at least be close to what happens...

This all strikes me as a little complex, but it works, and
there aren't several places where there an admin could put
a wrong domain name. And it doesn't happen too often, so I
guess it's OK.

Sure would be nice, though, if this were clearly and simply
laid out in some documentation somewhere. I found lots of
places that said that the domain name is *not* to be stored
in /etc/hostname, but it was difficult to find where it *is*
to be stored...

--
Glenn English
hand-wrapped from my Apple Mail