Old 04-25-2008, 08:38 PM
Bruce Marshall

Default Domain name

On Friday 25 April 2008, Michael Leone wrote:
> You've effectively assigned internal static IP addresses, and removed
> the need for internal DNS. If so, then why not have just used static
> IPs in the first place? :-)

I would agree.... however, since he has set this up within his router, he
can change releases or distros and not have to change anything.

Old 04-25-2008, 09:00 PM
"Anthony E. Caudel"

Constantinos Maltezos wrote:
> Sorry I came into this late... I might be completely off about this, but I'm
> wondering if the OP was talking about the hostname? If so, you can
> edit /etc/hostname as root with your favorite text editor and change the one
> line that's in it to whatever you want, as long as it contains no spaces and
> up to one period.
>
> Of course, I could be totally off. It was hot today and I might not be
> thinking straight.

No, I wasn't talking about my hostname.

Re other conversations here, someone told me that static ip's and
networkmanager don't get along.

I should also have mentioned that the computer in question is a laptop
and that I connect wirelessly.

Tony

--
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.
-- Benjamin Franklin

Old 04-25-2008, 09:37 PM
Constantinos Maltezos

On Friday 25 April 2008 4:00:40 Anthony E. Caudel wrote:
> Constantinos Maltezos wrote:
> > Sorry I came into this late... I might be completely off about this, but
> > I'm wondering if the OP was talking about the hostname? If so, you can
> > edit /etc/hostname as root with your favorite text editor and change the
> > one line that's in it to whatever you want, as long as it contains no
> > spaces and up to one period.
> >
> > Of course, I could be totally off. It was hot today and I might not be
> > thinking straight.
>
> No, I wasn't talking about my hostname.
>
> Re other conversations here, someone told me that static ip's and
> networkmanager don't get along.

Ah. Sorry.

> I should also have mentioned that the computer in question is a laptop
> and that I connect wirelessly.
>
> Tony

> Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. -- Benjamin Franklin

I've been looking for this quote... awesome.

Old 04-25-2008, 09:38 PM
Paul Lemmons

> On Friday 25 April 2008, Michael Leone wrote:
>
>> You've effectively assigned internal static IP addresses, and removed
>> the need for internal DNS. If so, then why not have just used static
>> IPs in the first place? :-)
>>

> I would agree.... however, since he has set this up within his router, he
> can change releases or distros and not have to change anything.

Yup, The machine has the IP address not the OS it is running. It was
also dirt simple to setup

--
Sometimes I wonder. Were our faith able to stand upright and look around, would it be looking down at the mustard seed or standing in awe of the height and breadth of it.

Old 04-26-2008, 07:40 AM
Nils Kassube

Anthony E. Caudel wrote:
> Re other conversations here, someone told me that static ip's and
> networkmanager don't get along.

I think, your DNS server needs to know the association between interface
(MAC address of the network card) and the domain name, so other machines
can look up names instead of IP numbers. As the DNS server is probably
your router, you could have a look at the router configuration. Maybe
there you can bind MAC addresses to IP numbers and host names (including
domain names). If that isn't possible, another option would be to have a
DNS / DHCP server running on one of your machines. If that is an option
for you, have a look at the package dnsmasq.

> I should also have mentioned that the computer in question is a laptop
> and that I connect wirelessly.

For the host / domain name part the physical medium (wire / wireless)
doesn't matter.

Nils

Old 04-26-2008, 01:03 PM
David McGlone

Old 04-28-2008, 01:22 PM
Derek Broughton

Michael Leone wrote:

> On Fri, Apr 25, 2008 at 12:15 PM, Paul Lemmons <paul@lemmons.name> wrote:

Generally you don't want to touch resolv.conf (in fact, it usually says
so...). You set your domain name in dhclient.conf (I've said this so many
times, I leave it as an exercise to the reader to find it and set it).

Also, note that normally adding "domain mydomain.com" to the end of
resolv.conf would not do what you want. You can only have one "domain"
setting, and resolv.conf should already have one. If it's going to search
multiple domains, you use "search" rather than "domain".
--
derek

Old 04-28-2008, 01:23 PM
Derek Broughton

Anthony E. Caudel wrote:

> I'm using DHCP but I don't think it is doing the resetting. The
> following is my resolv.conf:
> -----------------------------------
> # generated by NetworkManager, do not edit!

Yes, but NetworkManager gets the Domain servers from DHCP. Your router is
misconfigured, because it didnt send one.

Old 04-28-2008, 01:32 PM
Derek Broughton

Paul Lemmons wrote:

> I have a similar setup at home. I set my router to always assign the
> same address to each machine, based on MAC address. I then add each of
> my machines to /etc/hosts. I can then refer to any of my machines by an
> unqualified name.

Get a better router! That should be unnecessary - my Linksys router
maintains the host list, so you don't need to modify /etc/hosts everywhere.

Provided your dhclient.conf is configured to send the hostname to the DHCP
server (ubuntu sets this by default, but if you haven't changed your DHCP
client settings in a very long time - ie, since a very early Ubuntu
release - it might not), the router should add it to its domain records
when you request the IP address.

You need this in dhclient.conf:
send host-name "<hostname>";

(that's literally correct - you don't need to fill in your own hostname
there, though that would work too).

The OP needs:

request subnet-mask, broadcast-address, time-offset, routers,
domain-name, domain-name-servers, host-name,
netbios-name-servers, netbios-scope;

because he doesn't seem to be getting the domain name (but I suspect it's
the router that's actually the problem - this is standard in every
dhclient.conf I've ever seen).
--
derek

Old 04-28-2008, 01:36 PM
Derek Broughton

Anthony E. Caudel wrote:

> Constantinos Maltezos wrote:
>> Sorry I came into this late... I might be completely off about this, but
>> I'm
>> wondering if the OP was talking about the hostname? If so, you can
>> edit /etc/hostname as root with your favorite text editor and change the
>> one line that's in it to whatever you want, as long as it contains no
>> spaces and up to one period.
>>
>> Of course, I could be totally off. It was hot today and I might not be
>> thinking straight.
>>

> No, I wasn't talking about my hostname.
>
> Re other conversations here, someone told me that static ip's and
> networkmanager don't get along.

I think you should have actually mentioned static IPs...

It's not so much that they don't get along, as NM assumes you don't want it
involved.

What you really need to do is set up your router as Paul has - to serve up
specific IPs to specific MAC addresses, then you get the result of static
IPs with the benefit of DHCP and Network Manager. Much less fuss.

Just don't mess with the /etc/hosts files as Paul did - that's adding an
unnecessary level of complexity.
--
derek