Old 04-24-2008, 09:12 PM
Ritesh Raj Sarraf

Default nvidia TwinView broken

I know that non-free drivers (restricted drivers) are not supported.
But does anyone using nvidia, has seen problems recently with TwinView
configurations?

The TwinView configuration worked for me for quite a time. It just recently
broke for me. I think maybe in the last to last driver update from nvidia.

Since now Hardy is released which contains the new 169.12 version of the
nvidia driver, can somebody please confirm if TwinView works for him/her?

Here's what my card is:
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation G72M [GeForce Go 7400]
(rev a1)

Interesting thing that I've noticed on my machine is that the X logs say
that the secondary monitor is detected and is active. But the monitor
remains blank. Nothing is displayed on it. But yes, the desktop is extended
to the combined resolution of both the monitors.

Ritesh
--
If possible, Please CC me when replying. I'm not subscribed to the list.

Old 08-24-2008, 09:01 AM
Ritesh Raj Sarraf

Hi All,

I need some help. I hope someone can acknowledge the bug that I'm going to describe and help me root-cause and fix it.

I have a Dell XPS M1210 notebook which comes bundled with nvidia GeForce Go 7400 card.
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation G72M [GeForce Go 7400] (rev a1)

It is around 2 years old laptop, and in the beginning I was able to use this laptop with TwinView configuration. It worked perfect.
Sometime later during kernel upgrade and nvidia driver upgrades, TwinView broken. I'm sorry, I can't really recollect when really that happened.

Single View still works for me. But I badly want to use my External IBM Monitor at work.

Here's my problem description:

When I start X with the External Monitor connected, the screen goes blank with no message. There is no X display on the external monitor. But X draws an Extended Desktop because on the laptop's display, only half of the virtual desktop is drawn. The External Monitor behaves as if nothing is connected to it.

My first suspect was that the VGA port might have gone bad. But I think that might not be the case. This is how I concluded that:

(II) NVIDIA(0): NVIDIA GPU GeForce Go 7400 (G72) at PCI:1:0:0 (GPU-0)
(--) NVIDIA(0): Memory: 262144 kBytes
(--) NVIDIA(0): VideoBIOS: 05.72.22.21.fd
(II) NVIDIA(0): Detected PCI Express Link width: 16X
(--) NVIDIA(0): Interlaced video modes are supported on this GPU
(--) NVIDIA(0): Connected display device(s) on GeForce Go 7400 at PCI:1:0:0:
(--) NVIDIA(0): IBM L191p (CRT-0)
(--) NVIDIA(0): AUO (DFP-0)
(--) NVIDIA(0): IBM L191p (CRT-0): 400.0 MHz maximum pixel clock
(--) NVIDIA(0): AUO (DFP-0): 330.0 MHz maximum pixel clock
(--) NVIDIA(0): AUO (DFP-0): Internal Dual Link LVDS
(II) NVIDIA(0): Assigned Display Device: DFP-0
(==) NVIDIA(0):
(==) NVIDIA(0): No modes were requested; the default mode "nvidia-auto-select"
(==) NVIDIA(0): will be used as the requested mode.
(==) NVIDIA(0):
(II) NVIDIA(0): Validated modes:
(II) NVIDIA(0): "nvidia-auto-select"

If the VGA port was bad, X wouldn't have been able to auto-detect the External Monitor. My xorg.conf doesn't have any mention of the external monitor.

I strongly believe this to be a Kernel or nvidia driver problem. That is because I have used this configuration (TwinView) before. I believe it is not a hardware failure.

Any help is appreciated.

Ritesh

--
If possible, Please CC me when replying. I'm not subscribed to the list.

Old 08-24-2008, 01:54 PM
"Damon L. Chesser"

On Sun, 2008-08-24 at 14:31 +0530, Ritesh Raj Sarraf wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I need some help. I hope someone can acknowledge the bug that I'm going to describe and help me root-cause and fix it.
>
> I have a Dell XPS M1210 notebook which comes bundled with nvidia GeForce Go 7400 card.
> 01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation G72M [GeForce Go 7400] (rev a1)
>

> It is around 2 years old laptop, and in the beginning I was able to use this laptop with TwinView configuration. It worked perfect.
> Sometime later during kernel upgrade and nvidia driver upgrades, TwinView broken. I'm sorry, I can't really recollect when really that happened.
>
> Single View still works for me. But I badly want to use my External IBM Monitor at work.
>

> Here's my problem description:
>
> When I start X with the External Monitor connected, the screen goes blank with no message. There is no X display on the external monitor. But X draws an Extended Desktop because on the laptop's display, only half of the virtual desktop is drawn. The External Monitor behaves as if nothing is connected to it.
>
> My first suspect was that the VGA port might have gone bad. But I think that might not be the case. This is how I concluded that:
>
> (II) NVIDIA(0): NVIDIA GPU GeForce Go 7400 (G72) at PCI:1:0:0 (GPU-0)
> (--) NVIDIA(0): Memory: 262144 kBytes
> (--) NVIDIA(0): VideoBIOS: 05.72.22.21.fd
> (II) NVIDIA(0): Detected PCI Express Link width: 16X
> (--) NVIDIA(0): Interlaced video modes are supported on this GPU
> (--) NVIDIA(0): Connected display device(s) on GeForce Go 7400 at PCI:1:0:0:
> (--) NVIDIA(0): IBM L191p (CRT-0)
> (--) NVIDIA(0): AUO (DFP-0)
> (--) NVIDIA(0): IBM L191p (CRT-0): 400.0 MHz maximum pixel clock
> (--) NVIDIA(0): AUO (DFP-0): 330.0 MHz maximum pixel clock
> (--) NVIDIA(0): AUO (DFP-0): Internal Dual Link LVDS
> (II) NVIDIA(0): Assigned Display Device: DFP-0
> (==) NVIDIA(0):
> (==) NVIDIA(0): No modes were requested; the default mode "nvidia-auto-select"
> (==) NVIDIA(0): will be used as the requested mode.
> (==) NVIDIA(0):
> (II) NVIDIA(0): Validated modes:
> (II) NVIDIA(0): "nvidia-auto-select"
>

> If the VGA port was bad, X wouldn't have been able to auto-detect the External Monitor. My xorg.conf doesn't have any mention of the external monitor.
>
> I strongly believe this to be a Kernel or nvidia driver problem. That is because I have used this configuration (TwinView) before. I believe it is not a hardware failure.
>
> Any help is appreciated.
>
> Ritesh
>

> --
> If possible, Please CC me when replying. I'm not subscribed to the list.

Look at xrander --auto

Man xrander and look at this here:

http://wiki.debian.org/XStrikeForce/HowToRandR12

Let us know what happens if you run xrandr --auto.

HTH

--
Damon L. Chesser <damon@damtek.com>

Old 08-25-2008, 08:05 AM
"Jonas Andradas"

Hello Ritesh,

my best approach would be to first backup your current
xorg.conf.* Then, I would download nVidia latest drivers.* I
would exit the X environment, and stop gdm/xdm (whichever you

use).* I would rename xorg.conf to something like
xorg.conf-broken (or any name you like), and then run the nVidia
installer.* When asked to auto-create an xorg.conf file for you,
say yes.* If there are special sections on your xorg.conf file

that do not get created using this process (touchpad configurations or
similar), just copy them from your old xorg.conf file to the newly
created one.

After this, start your X server again, with the external monitor *not*

plugged into the VGA port.* Log in to your system, and open the
nVidia
configuration utility, which if I can recall correctly (I have an
nVidia on my home-laptop, but not on the work one, from which I am
currently writing, so I am saying this from memory) can be found in

Gnome under the menu "Applications" -> System tools".* I do not
know about KDE, but probably is something similar.

Now you could plug in your external monitor, and have the nVidia
configuration utility auto-detect it (there is a button for

that).* Then you can tell it to create a TwinView configuration
or some others.** You will most surely see the changes
reflect on your screens.* When you are happy, you could save this
configuration.* Since you will not be opening this configuration

utility as root, you will not be able to overwrite the "xorg.conf"
file, but you could save it to /tmp, and then, as root, copy it over
/etc/X11/** Once this is done, log out, and you should be
seeing your configuration running nicely.* From* that moment

on, if you boot your computer withouth plugin in the external monitor,
it should detect it, and should display a "mono-screen" configuration.

Hope this helps.* If you run into any trouble, please reply and

I'll try to give you any hints I can think of.

Best Regards,

Jonás Andradas

Skype: jontux
LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/andradas
GPG Fingerprint: 5A90 3319 48BC E0DC 17D9

130B B5E2 9AFD 7649 30D5
Keyservers: wwwkeys.eu.pgp.net | pgp.rediris.es

Old 08-25-2008, 08:12 AM
Ritesh Raj Sarraf

I really appreciate your reply.

I believe the problem seems to be with the 173.x series driver. The
problem is that I can't rollback to the older drivers right now because
they can't be built on 2.6.26 kernel.

From what I've investigated, it seems like nvidia moved to automatic
modeline detection. No I guess it was so from way early.

I think the problem has started with some new feature they might have
added about "nvidia-auto-select".

The problem was difficult to triage because when I hit this issue, the first
impression was that my hardware must have gone bad. Only later did I
realize, that If the hardware had gone bad, it wouldn't have been able to
detect the monitor.

I'll retry once again with what you've mentioned.

Thank you.
Ritesh