Old 04-24-2008, 11:46 AM
Michael

Default Ubuntu with KDE vs Kubuntu

I think this was addressed once before but what is the difference
between downloading Ubuntu and then removing Gnome and adding KDE versus
the Kubuntu distro?

Mike

Old 04-24-2008, 01:07 PM
Derek Broughton

Michael wrote:

> I think this was addressed once before

More than once...

> but what is the difference
> between downloading Ubuntu and then removing Gnome and adding KDE versus
> the Kubuntu distro?

Nothing - always assuming you can get exactly the right packages
installed :-) After a while, probably most of us end up with a system that
can't really be described as either Ubuntu or Kubuntu...
--
derek

Old 04-24-2008, 01:16 PM
Donn

On Thursday, 24 April 2008 15:07:07 Derek Broughton wrote:
> *After a while, probably most of us end up with a system that
> can't really be described as either Ubuntu or Kubuntu...
Good point. What should we call it? Oooh!buntu

If there is anyone in the audience who believes in telekinesis, please raise
my hand!
-- James Randi

Fonty Python and other dev news at:
http://otherwiseingle.blogspot.com/

Old 04-24-2008, 01:48 PM
"Francisco Borges"

On Thu, Apr 24, 2008 at 1:46 PM, Michael <mmorse757@gmail.com> wrote:
> I think this was addressed once before but what is the difference
> between downloading Ubuntu and then removing Gnome and adding KDE versus
> the Kubuntu distro?

That is actually a good question.

In my experience, there is no real support for the distinction of
installing Kubuntu or Ubuntu is not real; but there should be a
difference.

Meaning that when I install Kubuntu, I would expect that Kubuntu's
defaults (i.e. KDE apps) to have a higher priority (than Gnome apps),
but that is not the case:

Install Kubuntu;
and a certain KDE app is installed (say make sure KTorrent is
installed - default KDE app for bittorrent.)
install some gnome application (using aptitude), say a bittorrent client;

I don know about other people, but I would expect that KTorrent would
remain being the default bittorrent client. But what happens is that
the Gnome bittorrent client will be silently set to be the default.

I had this problem several times, and find it irritating.

Derek just sent an email talking about how a system ends up being
neither one thing nor the other. Well my point is that I expect the
setup of having KDE as my main desktop not to be ignored whenever I
install something from Gnome. But that does not happen in practice.

It is this sort of thing that makes me think that makes me think about
Kubuntu as an "unpolished" distribution.

Oh, well...

Kind regards,
--
Francisco

Thu Apr 24 17:30:01 2008
Date: Thu, 24 Apr 2008 15:50:02 +0200
To: fedora-list@redhat.com
From: =?UTF-8?B?Um9iZXJ0IE1jQnJvb20gKFROV2VzdFRleCk=?=
<no-reply-gw@fcp.surfsite.org>
Subject: Re: F8 can't open 2nd X session after some updates
Sender: fedora-list-bounces@redhat.com

>=20
> Barry Yu wrote:
> I used to open a second X session by doing;
> Cntl+Alt+F1, and the in command line input : start --:1 (I tried using =
any number from 1-6 and result all the same),
> I got this message display;
>=20
>=20
> xauth: creating new authority file /root/.serverauth.3346
>=20
>=20
> Fatal server error:
> Server is already active for display 0
> If this server is no longer running, remove /tmp/.X0-lock
> and start again.
> ---------------------------------
> It has been working fine until lately yum updater updated my system.
Typing? Need blanks both before and after the --.

--=20
This is an email sent via The Fedora Community Portal https://fcp.surfsit=
e.org
https://fcp.surfsite.org/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?post_id=3D259233&top=
ic_id=3D55650&forum=3D10#forumpost259233
If you think, this is spam, please report this to webmaster@fcp.surfsite.=
org and/or blame Darkenergy@bellsouth.net.

--=20
fedora-list mailing list
fedora-list@redhat.com

Old 04-24-2008, 01:55 PM
"p.daniels"

Francisco Borges wrote:
> In my experience, there is no real support for the distinction of
> installing Kubuntu or Ubuntu is not real; but there should be a
> difference.
>
> Meaning that when I install Kubuntu, I would expect that Kubuntu's
> defaults (i.e. KDE apps) to have a higher priority (than Gnome apps),
> but that is not the case...
+1
I don't usually write "me too" posts, but me too.

-pete

Old 04-24-2008, 02:23 PM
Jim

p.daniels wrote:
> Francisco Borges wrote:
>
>> In my experience, there is no real support for the distinction of
>> installing Kubuntu or Ubuntu is not real; but there should be a
>> difference.
>>
>> Meaning that when I install Kubuntu, I would expect that Kubuntu's
>> defaults (i.e. KDE apps) to have a higher priority (than Gnome apps),
>> but that is not the case...
>>
> +1
> I don't usually write "me too" posts, but me too.
>
> -pete

ME Three !

Old 04-24-2008, 02:30 PM
Derek Broughton

Francisco Borges wrote:

> Install Kubuntu;
> and a certain KDE app is installed (say make sure KTorrent is
> installed - default KDE app for bittorrent.)
> install some gnome application (using aptitude), say a bittorrent client;
>
> I don know about other people, but I would expect that KTorrent would
> remain being the default bittorrent client. But what happens is that
> the Gnome bittorrent client will be silently set to be the default.
>
> I had this problem several times, and find it irritating.
>
> Derek just sent an email talking about how a system ends up being
> neither one thing nor the other. Well my point is that I expect the
> setup of having KDE as my main desktop not to be ignored whenever I
> install something from Gnome. But that does not happen in practice.
>
> It is this sort of thing that makes me think that makes me think about
> Kubuntu as an "unpolished" distribution.

I understand your point, but look at the opposite situation - I have
Kubuntu, but I know there's a better tool for a specific application in
Gnome (actually, I don't - I haven't ever found such a beast :-) ) - so I
install the Gnome app. The mere fact that I have chosen to install an app
should logically mean I want that to be the default application for the
job. I'd be just as annoyed if I had to manually make every non-KDE
application I have the default.

I _do_ wish I could automatically clean Gnome apps out of KDE - I installed
ubuntu-desktop a while back, just to see if gnome was getting any better,
and now getting rid of everything is tedious.
--
derek

Old 04-24-2008, 04:49 PM
"Michael Leone"

On Thu, Apr 24, 2008 at 10:30 AM, Derek Broughton <news@pointerstop.ca> wrote:
> I _do_ wish I could automatically clean Gnome apps out of KDE - I installed
> ubuntu-desktop a while back, just to see if gnome was getting any better,
> and now getting rid of everything is tedious.

That's what VMs are for - playing without having to clean up afterwards ... :-)

--
Michael J. Leone
<mailto:turgon@mike-leone.com>

Old 04-24-2008, 04:59 PM
Wulfy

Francisco Borges wrote:
> Install Kubuntu;
> and a certain KDE app is installed (say make sure KTorrent is
> installed - default KDE app for bittorrent.)
> install some gnome application (using aptitude), say a bittorrent client;
>
> I don know about other people, but I would expect that KTorrent would
> remain being the default bittorrent client. But what happens is that
> the Gnome bittorrent client will be silently set to be the default.
>
> I had this problem several times, and find it irritating.
>
> Derek just sent an email talking about how a system ends up being
> neither one thing nor the other. Well my point is that I expect the
> setup of having KDE as my main desktop not to be ignored whenever I
> install something from Gnome. But that does not happen in practice.
>
> It is this sort of thing that makes me think that makes me think about
> Kubuntu as an "unpolished" distribution.
>
> Oh, well...
>
> Kind regards,

If you do the reverse (add a KDE app to GNOME desktop) does the same
thing happen?

--
Blessings

Wulfmann

Wulf Credo:
Copyright July 17, 1988 by Del Goetz

Old 04-24-2008, 05:38 PM
Derek Broughton

Michael Leone wrote:

> On Thu, Apr 24, 2008 at 10:30 AM, Derek Broughton <news@pointerstop.ca>
> wrote:
>> I _do_ wish I could automatically clean Gnome apps out of KDE - I
>> installed ubuntu-desktop a while back, just to see if gnome was getting
>> any better, and now getting rid of everything is tedious.
>
> That's what VMs are for - playing without having to clean up afterwards
> ... :-)

Yeah, or Live CDs (which I probably have...)
--
derek