Old 04-23-2008, 05:24 PM
Nigel Ridley

Default compiz - why?

OK, so I tried compiz and all [well, most of] the options. But why do folks want to use
it? After the first ten minutes, it gets boring; not just boring but even distracting.
If I'm doing some serious work, which I do from time to time, I don't want 'wobbly
windows' or a revolving cube (with only 4 desktops - I need at least 10!).
The only stuff that is actually practical is the translucency effects, well perhaps a few
others also.

Is it just me? I don't mean to discredit the devs - it's great to impress Windows users -
but what else is it good for?

Blessings,

Nigel

--
OliveRoot Ministries
http://www.oliveroot.net/

PrayingForIsrael.net
http://www.prayingforisrael.net/

Old 04-23-2008, 07:10 PM
"Xurxo F."

2008-04-23 (水) の 20:24 +0300 に Nigel Ridley さんは書きました:
> OK, so I tried compiz and all [well, most of] the options. But why do folks want to use
> it? After the first ten minutes, it gets boring; not just boring but even distracting.
> If I'm doing some serious work, which I do from time to time, I don't want 'wobbly
> windows' or a revolving cube (with only 4 desktops - I need at least 10!).
> The only stuff that is actually practical is the translucency effects, well perhaps a few
> others also.

Wobbly windows or the cube may be there just for the cool factor, but
other such as the scale pluging or translucent windows increase OS
usability.

Old 04-24-2008, 01:20 PM
Jan Torben Heuer

Nigel Ridley wrote:

> Is it just me? I don't mean to discredit the devs - it's great to impress
> Windows users - but what else is it good for?

Haven't we already discussed this issue when (color monitors | X | KDE )
came up?

Jan

Old 04-24-2008, 02:08 PM
Martin Laberge

On Thursday 24 April 2008 09:20:21 Jan Torben Heuer wrote:
> Nigel Ridley wrote:
>
> > Is it just me? I don't mean to discredit the devs - it's great to impress
> > Windows users - but what else is it good for?
>
> Haven't we already discussed this issue when (color monitors | X | KDE )
> came up?
>
> Jan

In fact, I remember it as if it was yesterday.

I remember insisting on a B/W real Monochrome 80x25 on my desk,
instead of these game-addict 640x200 16 colors bullshit.

It seemed to me that it was only for the kids.
(I was a REAL programmer... lol)

It was not so long ago... (25 years...) LOL

I would not insist on a B/W monitor today...

--
Martin Laberge
mlsoft@videotron.ca

Old 04-24-2008, 02:45 PM
Nigel Ridley

Jan Torben Heuer wrote:
> Nigel Ridley wrote:
>
>> Is it just me? I don't mean to discredit the devs - it's great to impress
>> Windows users - but what else is it good for?
>
> Haven't we already discussed this issue when (color monitors | X | KDE )
> came up?
>
> Jan

Perhaps if folks were to use proper threading, then relative info would be easier to
find......

So what were the conclusions? I deleted the 'color monitors | X | KDE' thread as it wasn't
of interest to me -- except now apparently it was.

Blessings,

Nigel

Old 04-24-2008, 07:44 PM
Martin Laberge

On Thursday 24 April 2008 10:45:15 Nigel Ridley wrote:
> Jan Torben Heuer wrote:
> > Nigel Ridley wrote:
> >
> >> Is it just me? I don't mean to discredit the devs - it's great to impress
> >> Windows users - but what else is it good for?
> >
> > Haven't we already discussed this issue when (color monitors | X | KDE )
> > came up?
> >
> > Jan
> >

> Perhaps if folks were to use proper threading, then relative info would be easier to
> find......
>
> So what were the conclusions? I deleted the 'color monitors | X | KDE' thread as it wasn't
> of interest to me -- except now apparently it was.
>
> Blessings,
>
> Nigel
>
> --
> OliveRoot Ministries
> http://www.oliveroot.net/
>
> PrayingForIsrael.net
> http://www.prayingforisrael.net/

Sorry! Sometimes I just could not resist to add my 2 cents.

Meaning in technical terms:

The reason of existence of cool things is to attract poeple
to things that are useful but have an initial bad taste...

This helps to attract the mass, while being fun and optionnal
for the REAL SERIOUS user.

I am a real serious user (Hum?) and I do not use these things now.

But the mass may drain me to use it later...

Maybe one day I will not work WithOut them...

PS: the nose is only long as you can see...

--
Martin Laberge
mlsoft@videotron.ca