Old 04-22-2008, 03:11 AM
Tom R

Default ntp polling in kubuntu 8.04

Is anyone running an ntp time server on a kubuntu
8.04? If so, does the poll interval ever increase?
I've tried ubuntu 8.04 and kubuntu 8.04 on my GX110
667MHz test machine and neither will let the poll
interval of ntp increase. The poll stays at 6 (the
default minimum) regardless of how long the system
operates. The normal for ntp is to start with the
poll interval at 6 (poll its server every 64 seconds)
and then to increase the poll interval to 10 (poll its
server every 1024 seconds) as the time stabilizes.
The kubuntu and ubuntu 8.04 releases do synchronize
time correctly and the ntpd variables stabilize, but
the poll interval never increases. I also have
openSUSE 10.2 and Debian Lenny disks which I run on
the same machine. It isn't a hardware problem or
server problem since ntp behaves correctly for both
the two other distros. It also shouldn't be a
processor overload issue since I deleted compiz and by
doing so got processor load below 30%. Any ideas?

Thomas A. Rood