Old 04-21-2008, 05:16 PM
Rick Knight

Default Klaptopdaemon / Battery Monitor

I'm not sure if I have the right tools here, but on my laptop (Compaq
nc8230) I used to get a battery monitor on the task bar. This battery
monitor was available with Dapper and Feisty and I think with Dapper's
predecessor, but not in Gutsy. Klaptopdaemon is installed and I've also
installed kdeutils, but I can't seem to get the battery monitor. Can
someone here tell me what to do to get the battery monitor back?

Thanks,
Rick

Old 04-21-2008, 06:28 PM
Derek Broughton

Rick Knight wrote:

> I'm not sure if I have the right tools here, but on my laptop (Compaq
> nc8230) I used to get a battery monitor on the task bar. This battery
> monitor was available with Dapper and Feisty and I think with Dapper's
> predecessor, but not in Gutsy. Klaptopdaemon is installed and I've also
> installed kdeutils, but I can't seem to get the battery monitor. Can
> someone here tell me what to do to get the battery monitor back?

The default kicker applet is kde-guidance-powermanager (from the package
kde-guidance-powermanager). That's not the battery applet that was default
in feisty, iirc, but seems to do the job for me.
--
derek

Old 04-21-2008, 08:06 PM
Rick Knight

Derek Broughton wrote:
> Rick Knight wrote:
>

>> I'm not sure if I have the right tools here, but on my laptop (Compaq
>> nc8230) I used to get a battery monitor on the task bar. This battery
>> monitor was available with Dapper and Feisty and I think with Dapper's
>> predecessor, but not in Gutsy. Klaptopdaemon is installed and I've also
>> installed kdeutils, but I can't seem to get the battery monitor. Can
>> someone here tell me what to do to get the battery monitor back?
>>

> The default kicker applet is kde-guidance-powermanager (from the package
> kde-guidance-powermanager). That's not the battery applet that was default
> in feisty, iirc, but seems to do the job for me.

Derek,

Thanks for the reply. I found the guidance-power-manager.py applet. When
I try to start it I get errors.

rick@rick-laptop:~$ guidance-power-manager
rick@rick-laptop:~$ No battery found.
No AC adapter found - assume that we are on batteries.
Warning: While setting SystemPowerManagement to True :
org.freedesktop.Hal.Device.SystemPowerManagement.N otSupported: No
powersave method found
No AC adapter found - assume that we are on batteries.

Running this does give me the battery icon in task bar, but that icon
only shows my cpu frequency. Something's broken or something is still
missing. Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Rick

Old 04-21-2008, 10:25 PM
Derek Broughton

Rick Knight wrote:

> Derek Broughton wrote:
>> Rick Knight wrote:
>>

>>> I'm not sure if I have the right tools here, but on my laptop (Compaq
>>> nc8230) I used to get a battery monitor on the task bar. This battery
>>> monitor was available with Dapper and Feisty and I think with Dapper's
>>> predecessor, but not in Gutsy. Klaptopdaemon is installed and I've also
>>> installed kdeutils, but I can't seem to get the battery monitor. Can
>>> someone here tell me what to do to get the battery monitor back?
>>>

>> The default kicker applet is kde-guidance-powermanager (from the package
>> kde-guidance-powermanager). That's not the battery applet that was
>> default in feisty, iirc, but seems to do the job for me.
>>
> Derek,
>
> Thanks for the reply. I found the guidance-power-manager.py applet. When
> I try to start it I get errors.
>
> rick@rick-laptop:~$ guidance-power-manager
> rick@rick-laptop:~$ No battery found.
> No AC adapter found - assume that we are on batteries.
> Warning: While setting SystemPowerManagement to True :
> org.freedesktop.Hal.Device.SystemPowerManagement.N otSupported: No
> powersave method found
> No AC adapter found - assume that we are on batteries.
>
> Running this does give me the battery icon in task bar, but that icon
> only shows my cpu frequency. Something's broken or something is still
> missing. Any suggestions?

I think guidance-power-manager is the gnome applet. What you want to run is
definitely kde-guidance-powermanager.
--
derek

Old 04-21-2008, 11:34 PM
Rick Knight

Derek Broughton wrote:
> Rick Knight wrote:
>

>> Derek Broughton wrote:

>>> The default kicker applet is kde-guidance-powermanager (from the package
>>> kde-guidance-powermanager). That's not the battery applet that was
>>> default in feisty, iirc, but seems to do the job for me.
>>>

>> Derek,
>>
>> Thanks for the reply. I found the guidance-power-manager.py applet. When
>> I try to start it I get errors.
>>
>> rick@rick-laptop:~$ guidance-power-manager
>> rick@rick-laptop:~$ No battery found.
>> No AC adapter found - assume that we are on batteries.
>> Warning: While setting SystemPowerManagement to True :
>> org.freedesktop.Hal.Device.SystemPowerManagement.N otSupported: No
>> powersave method found
>> No AC adapter found - assume that we are on batteries.
>>
>> Running this does give me the battery icon in task bar, but that icon
>> only shows my cpu frequency. Something's broken or something is still
>> missing. Any suggestions?
>>

> I think guidance-power-manager is the gnome applet. What you want to run is
> definitely kde-guidance-powermanager.

It seems guidance-power-manager is the backend for kde-guidance and
gnome-powermanage. I have kde-guidance running now and showing the icon
in the task bar, but I still have no battery stats. I can see my cpu
frequency and I can see that Power Manager is managing the cpu speed,
but still no battery.

Thanks again,
Rick

Old 04-22-2008, 12:14 AM
Derek Broughton

Rick Knight wrote:

> Derek Broughton wrote:

>>> Running this does give me the battery icon in task bar, but that icon
>>> only shows my cpu frequency. Something's broken or something is still
>>> missing. Any suggestions?
>>>

>> I think guidance-power-manager is the gnome applet. What you want to run
>> is definitely kde-guidance-powermanager.
>>
> It seems guidance-power-manager is the backend for kde-guidance and
> gnome-powermanage. I have kde-guidance running now and showing the icon
> in the task bar, but I still have no battery stats. I can see my cpu
> frequency and I can see that Power Manager is managing the cpu speed,
> but still no battery.

No, really. What you want is kde-guidance-powermanager. I'm sure
kde-guidance is related but the package and the program you run is
kde-guidance-powermanager.

Now, once you run that, it's still possible that the battery might not show
up - it might need a dbus restart (sudo /etc/init.d/dbus restart). I know
I've had occasions when I have been fiddling with the battery when I've
lost the status.
--
derek

Old 04-22-2008, 03:08 AM
Rick Knight

Derek Broughton wrote:
> Rick Knight wrote:

>>> I think guidance-power-manager is the gnome applet. What you want to run
>>> is definitely kde-guidance-powermanager.
>>>

>> It seems guidance-power-manager is the backend for kde-guidance and
>> gnome-powermanage. I have kde-guidance running now and showing the icon
>> in the task bar, but I still have no battery stats. I can see my cpu
>> frequency and I can see that Power Manager is managing the cpu speed,
>> but still no battery.
>>

> No, really. What you want is kde-guidance-powermanager. I'm sure
> kde-guidance is related but the package and the program you run is
> kde-guidance-powermanager.
>
> Now, once you run that, it's still possible that the battery might not show
> up - it might need a dbus restart (sudo /etc/init.d/dbus restart). I know
> I've had occasions when I have been fiddling with the battery when I've
> lost the status.

Thanks Derek,

I am running kde-guidance and kde-guidance-powermanager.
Guidance-power-manager is the backend for those. It's also, I believe,
the command line tool for kde-guidance.

Anyway, I am running kde-guidance, but I don't get any battery status,
just the cpu frequency. I have noticed that powersaved and acpid don't
start properly. I have to manually start powersaved first and then start
acpid before I can get kde-guidance to show the cpu frequency, but still
no battery status.

Thanks, again,
Rick

Old 04-22-2008, 07:50 AM
"Jonas Norlander"

2008/4/21 Rick Knight <rick_knight@rlknight.com>:
> I'm not sure if I have the right tools here, but on my laptop (Compaq
> nc8230) I used to get a battery monitor on the task bar. This battery
> monitor was available with Dapper and Feisty and I think with Dapper's
> predecessor, but not in Gutsy. Klaptopdaemon is installed and I've also
> installed kdeutils, but I can't seem to get the battery monitor. Can
> someone here tell me what to do to get the battery monitor back?
>
> Thanks,
> Rick

Hi

I don't think this has to do Klaptopdaemon or kde-guidance-powermanager.
I would check that acpid is running and working and that the right drivers
is loaded. Try to search the log files for something related to acpi.
Make sure that acpi is activated in BIOS and not disabled in GRUB.
What modules do you have loaded? Do you have battery module?
What entries do you have in /proc/acpi speciall /proc/acpi/battery/

/ Jonas

Old 04-22-2008, 03:19 PM
Derek Broughton

Rick Knight wrote:

> I am running kde-guidance and kde-guidance-powermanager.
> Guidance-power-manager is the backend for those.

kde-guidance is not involved in the power management at all. For some odd
reason it actually depends on kde-guidance-powermanager, but it is a bunch
of kcontrol components (and kubuntu doesn't even use kcontrol, though I
expect they're also available through System Settings).

> It's also, I believe,
> the command line tool for kde-guidance.

kde-guidance isn't involved in power management.

> Anyway, I am running kde-guidance,

Then _don't_. It's not involved. There may be useful things in
kde-guidance but it has nothing to do with this problem.

> but I don't get any battery status,

> just the cpu frequency. I have noticed that powersaved

Powersaved is _also_ not part of the default kubuntu install and seems
likely to interfere with the guidance-power-manager (which also does
suspend/resume).

> and acpid don't start properly.

Arrgh. What sort of error description is "don't start properly"? That's
the root problem, and you just treat it as insignificant. Can you tell I'm
getting frustrated?

> I have to manually start powersaved first and then start
> acpid before I can get kde-guidance to show the cpu frequency, but still
> no battery status.

Forget powersaved - at least for now - and tell us exactly what happens when
you start acpid.
--
derek

Old 04-22-2008, 04:25 PM
Rick Knight

Derek Broughton wrote:
> Rick Knight wrote:
>
>> I am running kde-guidance and kde-guidance-powermanager.
>> Guidance-power-manager is the backend for those.
>>

> kde-guidance is not involved in the power management at all. For some odd
> reason it actually depends on kde-guidance-powermanager, but it is a bunch
> of kcontrol components (and kubuntu doesn't even use kcontrol, though I
> expect they're also available through System Settings).

Both of these, kde-guidance and kde-guidance-powermanager are installed
on my system and kde-guidance is included in startup,
kde-guidance-powermanage is not. I didn't install either of them.

>> It's also, I believe,
>> the command line tool for kde-guidance.
>>

> kde-guidance isn't involved in power management.
>

>> Anyway, I am running kde-guidance,

AT least it's in startup. Does it start kde-guidance-powermanage?

> Then _don't_. It's not involved. There may be useful things in
> kde-guidance but it has nothing to do with this problem.
>

>> but I don't get any battery status,
>>

>> just the cpu frequency. I have noticed that powersaved
>>

> Powersaved is _also_ not part of the default kubuntu install and seems
> likely to interfere with the guidance-power-manager (which also does
> suspend/resume).
>

>> and acpid don't start properly.
>>

> Arrgh. What sort of error description is "don't start properly"? That's
> the root problem, and you just treat it as insignificant. Can you tell I'm
> getting frustrated?

I get the startup error during boot, but it is so fast I can't get a
good look at it and the error text does not show up in dmesg or
/var/log/messages. What I can see is that acpid cannot start because
acpid is not installed. I No acpid is installed and I can start acpid
after boot without errors. I'm not trying to be obtuse, I just can't see
enough of the error to tell you exactly what it says.

>> I have to manually start powersaved first and then start
>> acpid before I can get kde-guidance to show the cpu frequency, but still
>> no battery status.
>>

> Forget powersaved - at least for now - and tell us exactly what happens when
> you start acpid.

When I start acpid from a terminal I get this...

root@rick-laptop:~# /etc/init.d/acpid start
[ OK ]
* Starting ACPI services...
[ OK ]

It's loading OK from the command. Also, I've removed powersaved and
rebooted and I no longer get the startup error from acpid.

The battery module is loading alon with other modules for acpid support
(battery ac processor button fan thermal bay dock) from
/etc/default/acpid. That taskbar icon still does not give battery
status. What next?

Thanks again for your help, sorry for the frustration,
Rick