Old 04-20-2008, 03:43 PM
Ulrich Grn

Default Hardy Heron: saving list of installed packages and using for new install

Am Sonntag, 20. April 2008 06:37:56 schrieb Nils Kassube:
> I will upgrade my main machine after the final release - the other
> machines are already upgraded to 8.04 (beta / rc). I don't like to redo
> all the settings and find out what packages I want installed beyond the
> default packages.

To make installation of your favoured packages more easy, you could save your
list of installed packages from your old system, and then use this list for
your new one:

dpkg --get-selections > list-of-installed-packages

dpkg --set-selections < list-of-installed-packages

then with aptitude with option 'g' or with synaptic or other packaging
programme: installation of this list of packages. Maybe, an apt-get upgrade
will do this as well (not tested)

--
Greetz,
Ulrich

We'll never know wat the road before us looks like,
until we go . . .

`,,`,,`,,`, ,`,,`,,`
OS: Kubuntu 7.10 (Linux). Web: de.geocities.com/india_ulrich/

Old 04-21-2008, 12:42 PM
"p.daniels"

May I quote this tip on my blog?

best-
pete

Old 04-21-2008, 10:29 PM
Bruce Marshall

On Monday 21 April 2008, p.daniels wrote:
> May I quote this tip on my blog?
>
> best-
> pete
>
> On Sunday 20 April 2008 10:43:07 Ulrich Grn wrote:
> > To make installation of your favoured packages more easy, you could save
> > your list of installed packages from your old system, and then use this
> > list for your new one:
> >
> > dpkg --get-selections > list-of-installed-packages
> >
> > dpkg --set-selections < list-of-installed-packages
> >
> > then with aptitude with option 'g' or with synaptic or other packaging
> > programme: installation of this list of packages. Maybe, an apt-get
> > upgrade will do this as well (not tested)

I've used this approach before with success but now when I try it I get:

"the following will be uninstalled:

apt base-files bash dash

And that the whole operation is inherently dangerous.

Something must have gone west. This is taking a list from a gutsy system and
using the list on hardy.

Old 04-22-2008, 02:25 PM
Ulrich Grn

Am Montag, 21. April 2008 14:42:01 schrieb p.daniels:
> May I quote this tip on my blog?
>
> best-
> pete

Of course you may.
I got this tip on the Debian list some half year ago.

> On Sunday 20 April 2008 10:43:07 Ulrich Grn wrote:
> > To make installation of your favoured packages more easy, you could save
> > your list of installed packages from your old system, and then use this
> > list for your new one:
> >
> > dpkg --get-selections > list-of-installed-packages
> >
> > dpkg --set-selections < list-of-installed-packages
> >
> > then with aptitude with option 'g' or with synaptic or other packaging
> > programme: installation of this list of packages. Maybe, an apt-get
> > upgrade will do this as well (not tested)

--
Groet,
Ulrich