Old 04-20-2008, 04:32 AM
"D. Michael McIntyre"

Default Hardy Heron

On Saturday 19 April 2008, Ron Wilson wrote:

> What are others going to do.

I upgraded this box from Dapper to Gutsy, and while it was far from
impossible, it was also far from smooth.

I may try to upgrade this box, just for the merry masochistic hell of it, but
it depends on how bored I am. If I'm not bored, and don't feel like screwing
around for a few hours to deal with annoying quirks, I'll probably just do a
wholesale distro swap eventually.

I already did the distro swap on my wife's and the kids' computers. It went
very smoothly, since they have bog standard installations, and separate /home
partitions. I don't think any of them noticed a difference once I put them
all back on KDE3. Nobody was terribly awestruck by KDE4.
--
D. Michael McIntyre

Old 04-20-2008, 04:37 AM
Nils Kassube

Ron Wilson wrote:
> I am looking forward to Hardy's release next week. What is the
> consensus on installing is it better to do a new install or to try an
> upgrade.

I think that depends on your preference. If you want to start everything
from scratch, a fresh install is better. If you want to preserve as much
as possible, an upgrade is better.

> I lean to a clean install as I have never tried an upgrade in
> past.

You will always say that, if you never try an upgrade

> However that does mean that I need a install disk and it might
> take a while before the downlaods become available.

Well, if you desperately want the final version installed within minutes
after release, an upgrade might be faster. OTOH, it doesn't take weeks
until CD images are available from your favourite mirrors - more
something like a few hours.

> What are others going to do.

I will upgrade my main machine after the final release - the other
machines are already upgraded to 8.04 (beta / rc). I don't like to redo
all the settings and find out what packages I want installed beyond the
default packages.

Nils

Old 04-20-2008, 02:21 PM
Bruce Marshall

On Saturday 19 April 2008, Ron Wilson wrote:
> I am looking forward to Hardy's release next week. What is the consensus
> on installing is it better to do a new install or to try an upgrade. I
> lean to a clean install as I have never tried an upgrade in past.
> However that does mean that I need a install disk and it might take a
> while before the downlaods become available.
> What are others going to do.

I would vote for a new install and I would start with 8.04rc. (even the beta
seemed to be in very good shape.) You'll end up with the full release after
updates anyway.

The reasons are:

1) If the update fails, you end up with a broken machine and have to do a new
install anyway.

2) If there is a bug or some problem you have, you'll never know if the update
broke it with some conflicting piece of software or whether it is a true bug.

3) You'll take good notes on the install for the next release.

4) You'll learn a lot and find out what's new.

I've done one update in the last 14 years of linux. (suse and kubuntu) and
it didn't go well. And I had to do a fresh install anyway.

Old 04-20-2008, 06:21 PM
"Chen Liang"

There is something I read on the internet. You can put the /home path into a separated partition, therefore, even you do a clean install, you still have all the files safely stored on your hard drive. It just make things more flexible.

Regards
CL
--
Name: Chen Liang
Course: DT228/4

Old 04-20-2008, 07:27 PM

I have done that but a fresh install also means that you have to re-install all
your non-standard programs. I run programs like popfile which require special
setup so I will have to go through system and note down all the stuff that is
non standard.
Such is life ....
Quoting Chen Liang <chen.liang@student.dit.ie>:

> There is something I read on the internet. You can put the /home path
> into a
> separated partition, therefore, even you do a clean install, you still
> have
> all the files safely stored on your hard drive. It just make things
> more
> flexible.
>
> Regards
> CL
>
> --
> Name: Chen Liang
> Course: DT228/4
> Collage Address: Kevin street
> E-mail (collage): chen.liang@student.dit.ie

-
Ron Wilson

Old 04-20-2008, 08:16 PM
Michael Leone

ronw@paradise.net.nz wrote:
> I have done that but a fresh install also means that you have to re-install all
> your non-standard programs. I run programs like popfile which require special
> setup so I will have to go through system and note down all the stuff that is
> non standard.
> Such is life ....

Used to be, creating separate partitions for things like /home and /opt
were the recommended best practice. This way, you install your
non-standard programs to /opt. And if you need to upgrade, /home and
/opt never get overwritten.

--
Michael J. Leone Registered Linux user #201348
<mailto:turgon@mike-leone.com>

Old 06-11-2008, 06:51 AM
Axios Rent A Car

There seems to be a lot of war going on at the moment about Hardy. Well
I am a newbie and I have to say that I have had my problems - mainly
getting used to Linux generally. At the end of it all, I have to say is
that with all the help from Linux questions and working it out for
myself I have turned by back on Microsoft for ever - well nearly, I do
need them for the odd program (odd indeed). Well done Ubuntu or in my
case Kubuntu. Long may you reign.
Patrick Warwick - a proud newbie

Old 06-11-2008, 09:35 AM
Doug Stewart

Axios Rent A Car wrote:
> There seems to be a lot of war going on at the moment about Hardy. Well
> I am a newbie and I have to say that I have had my problems - mainly
> getting used to Linux generally. At the end of it all, I have to say is
> that with all the help from Linux questions and working it out for
> myself I have turned by back on Microsoft for ever - well nearly, I do
> need them for the odd program (odd indeed). Well done Ubuntu or in my
> case Kubuntu. Long may you reign.
> Patrick Warwick - a proud newbie

I am also a happy newby and got all the help I asked for without being
shot :-)
Doug Stewart alive and well.

Old 06-11-2008, 11:18 AM
Rashkae

Axios Rent A Car wrote:
> There seems to be a lot of war going on at the moment about Hardy. Well
> I am a newbie and I have to say that I have had my problems - mainly
> getting used to Linux generally. At the end of it all, I have to say is
> that with all the help from Linux questions and working it out for
> myself I have turned by back on Microsoft for ever - well nearly, I do
> need them for the odd program (odd indeed). Well done Ubuntu or in my
> case Kubuntu. Long may you reign.
> Patrick Warwick - a proud newbie

Hey Patrick,, thanks for the kind words towards Ubuntu

As for the traffic you see on this list, it's natural than when a new
major version is released, some people will run into difficulty (new
ways of doing things, new ways to solve old problems, and hardware
support that inadvertently broke), and of course, most who have trouble
of some kind of other end up on the support mailing list, so you get a
more negative view here of the world in general.

Best of luck and welcome to the tribe.

Old 06-11-2008, 01:18 PM
Ed Greshko

Doug Stewart wrote:

> I am also a happy newby and got all the help I asked for without being
> shot :-)
> Doug Stewart alive and well.

One can tell that you are new at this since you've misspelled newbie. :-)