Old 04-18-2008, 09:54 AM
Bas Roufs

Default Text copy impossible in kpdf

Hello Charles
> I have just met a small problem: when I drag the mouse to select some text in kpdf, the option "copy as text to the clipboard" in the contextual menu is not enabled, so that the operation is impossible.

Often I work with this functionality in KPDF. In my case it works
perfectly well. I act as follows:

STEP 1
I press at the button 'Select Tool'.

STEP 2
Than I select the text passage or the image I want to copy.

STEP 3
Than I choose an option to copy a text or image 'to the clipboard'.

STEP 4
I go to the document where I want to paste the document: an open office
document or a Thunderbird e-mail.

STEP 5
I DON'T DO ANYTHING WITH KLIPPER DIRECTLY! Instead I simply carry out
this command:
CONTROL-V
The command 'CONTROL-V' simply pastes the text passage or image from the
clipboard to the target document.

I hope this helps.

Respectfully Yours,

Bas.

--
*************************
Viaconsensus

Rainbow News, views and visions: CircleLetterRainbow.net

European Rainbow Gathering in Serbia: Eurogathering.Rainbowinfo.net

Open source operating system: Linux - Kubuntu 7.10, Kubuntu.org

Old 04-18-2008, 10:00 AM
Ignazio Palmisano

Charles Trois wrote:
> Hello!
>
> I have just met a small problem: when I drag the mouse to select some
> text in kpdf, the option "copy as text to the clipboard" in the
> contextual menu is not enabled, so that the operation is impossible.
>
> apt-get says that the installed version of kpdf is the latest available.
>
> Has someone an idea about this?
>
> Cheers.
>
> Charles

Is it a copy protected PDF? (silly question but worth a shot)
I.

Old 04-18-2008, 10:40 AM
Nils Kassube

Charles Trois wrote:
> I have just met a small problem: when I drag the mouse to select some
> text in kpdf, the option "copy as text to the clipboard" in the
> contextual menu is not enabled, so that the operation is impossible.

The pdf file might be composed as a picture of the text. Then you can't
copy it as text because there is no text. Sometimes you can see the
pixels of that picture if you magnify the view to 800% or more. However I
don't know if that is possible with kpdf - usually I use the Adobe reader
for pdf files.

Nils

Old 04-18-2008, 02:04 PM
Anton Rolls

Hi,

Nils Kassube wrote:
> Charles Trois wrote:
>> I have just met a small problem: when I drag the mouse to select some
>> text in kpdf, the option "copy as text to the clipboard" in the
>> contextual menu is not enabled, so that the operation is impossible.
>
> The pdf file might be composed as a picture of the text. Then you can't
> copy it as text because there is no text. Sometimes you can see the
> pixels of that picture if you magnify the view to 800% or more. However I
> don't know if that is possible with kpdf - usually I use the Adobe reader
> for pdf files.
>

> Nils

It would be good if an "OCR to clipboard" option popped up there.

Anton.

Old 04-19-2008, 02:38 PM
Charles Trois

> Message: 5 Date: Fri, 18 Apr 2008 11:00:30 +0100 From: Ignazio
> Palmisano <ignazio_io@yahoo.it> Subject: Re: Text copy impossible in
> kpdf To: Kubuntu Help and User Discussions
> <kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com> Message-ID:
> <4808713E.7000801@yahoo.it> Content-Type: text/plain;
> charset=ISO-8859-1; format=flowed Charles Trois wrote:
>> > I have just met a small problem: when I drag the mouse to select some
>> > text in kpdf, the option "copy as text to the clipboard" in the
>> > contextual menu is not enabled, so that the operation is impossible.
>>
> Is it a copy protected PDF? (silly question but worth a shot)
> I.

Not so silly: you are quite right. I was not aware of that possibility,
and that's just what happened to me. On ordinary files, kpdf works
perfectly.

Thanks for the hint, and thanks to the others who answered.

Charles

Old 04-20-2008, 06:47 AM
Donn

> > Is it a copy protected PDF? (silly question but worth a shot)
> Not so silly: you are quite right. I was not aware of that possibility,
> and that's just what happened to me. On ordinary files, kpdf works
> perfectly.

Isn't that a *tiny* bit DRM(ish) ? Just wondering, not sure I savvy DRM
really.

Also, perhaps you can try "pdftotext" on a konsole:

pdftotext yourpdf somefile

Should let you open somefile as text and copy from it.

Old 04-20-2008, 10:52 AM
Charles Trois

kubuntu-users-request@lists.ubuntu.com a écrit :

> Message: 9
> Date: Sun, 20 Apr 2008 08:47:33 +0200
> From: Donn <donn.ingle@gmail.com>
> Subject: Re: Text copy impossible in kpdf
> To: kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
> Cc: Charles Trois <charles.trois@orange.fr>

>> > Not so silly: you are quite right. I was not aware of that possibility,
>> > and that's just what happened to me. On ordinary files, kpdf works
>> > perfectly.
>>

> Isn't that a *tiny* bit DRM(ish) ? Just wondering, not sure I savvy DRM
> really.

The document is a tutorial and bears a copyright notice. pdfinfo reveals
that printing, copying and any changes are forbidden. This appears as a
way to enforce the copyright, perhaps a crude form of DRM.
> Also, perhaps you can try "pdftotext" on a konsole:
>
> pdftotext yourpdf somefile
>
> Should let you open somefile as text and copy from it.

Yes indeed! Another good tip. Thanks.

Charles

Old 04-21-2008, 01:00 PM
Derek Broughton

Ignazio Palmisano wrote:

> Charles Trois wrote:
>>
>> I have just met a small problem: when I drag the mouse to select some
>> text in kpdf, the option "copy as text to the clipboard" in the
>> contextual menu is not enabled, so that the operation is impossible.
>>
>> apt-get says that the installed version of kpdf is the latest available.
>>
>> Has someone an idea about this?
>
> Is it a copy protected PDF? (silly question but worth a shot)

If this is the case (rather than it just being an image of text), the
solution is simple. I have a copy-protected PDF where this is exactly the
situation. Just go Settings / Configure KPDF and uncheck the box "Obey DRM
Limitations".
--
derek

Old 04-21-2008, 01:26 PM
Derek Broughton

Donn wrote:

>> > Is it a copy protected PDF? (silly question but worth a shot)
>> Not so silly: you are quite right. I was not aware of that possibility,
>> and that's just what happened to me. On ordinary files, kpdf works
>> perfectly.
>
> Isn't that a *tiny* bit DRM(ish) ? Just wondering, not sure I savvy DRM
> really.

It's _exactly_ DRMish. The config option is "Obey DRM restrictions". I
presume it's turned on by default to keep corporate types happy, but being
Linux, of course you can turn it off.
--
derek

Old 04-21-2008, 01:37 PM
Donn

> Just go Settings / Configure KPDF and uncheck the box "Obey DRM
> Limitations".
Oh sweet! It does make one wonder why kpdf even 'obeys' DRM in the first
place.