Old 11-28-2007, 10:15 AM

Default Change file association in KDE

Hi,

Where can I change file association under Kubuntu's KDE?
In vanilla KDE there is under Kontrol Center -> KDE components -> File
associations. In Kubuntu's Kontrol Center I don't find this feature.

So I want to change the application with which system opens file with
appropriate extensions. (For example I want to use mplayer for opening
avi files instead of Kaffeine.)
Thanks in advance!

Best regards,
Balazs Heder

Old 11-28-2007, 10:27 AM
"Dotan Cohen"

On 28/11/2007, balazs@rainstorm.org <balazs@rainstorm.org> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Where can I change file association under Kubuntu's KDE?
> In vanilla KDE there is under Kontrol Center -> KDE components -> File
> associations. In Kubuntu's Kontrol Center I don't find this feature.
>
> So I want to change the application with which system opens file with
> appropriate extensions. (For example I want to use mplayer for opening
> avi files instead of Kaffeine.)
> Thanks in advance!
>
> Best regards,
> Balazs Heder

Not a real fix, but a band-aid would be to rightclick a file of the
type you want, then select Open With and the program that you want.
Check the "remember this type" (or however it is in English) box and
KDE will remember your preference.

Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com
http://gibberish.co.il

A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?

Old 11-28-2007, 10:32 AM
Donn

> Where can I change file association under Kubuntu's KDE?
> In vanilla KDE there is under Kontrol Center -> KDE components -> File
> associations. In Kubuntu's Kontrol Center I don't find this feature.
I always open kcontrol via Alt-F2 to do that stuff.

Old 11-28-2007, 10:48 AM
Terence Simpson

balazs@rainstorm.org wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Where can I change file association under Kubuntu's KDE?
> In vanilla KDE there is under Kontrol Center -> KDE components -> File
> associations. In Kubuntu's Kontrol Center I don't find this feature.
>
> So I want to change the application with which system opens file with
> appropriate extensions. (For example I want to use mplayer for opening
> avi files instead of Kaffeine.)
> Thanks in advance!
>
> Best regards,
> Balazs Heder

From Konqueror:
Settings > Configure Konqueror > File Associations

Terence