Old 11-28-2007, 10:08 AM

Default forbid hibernation / sleep for users

Hi!

I've just installed a fresh Kubuntu 7.10 system. I've noticed that users can
hibernate / sleep the system by default from the KDE logout window.
It a desktop computer with minimal server application (e.g ssh, apache etc.)
so in my case hibernation and sleep must be prohibited to users.
I've been looking for a soultion from 2 days on Google, but unfortunately I
didn't find any usable information.
I've already tried to change permissions of related files under /etc/acpi/ to
750, but users can still hibernate the system
I've checked /etc/kde3/kdm/kdmrc as well, but there isn't any possibility to
disable user hibernation.

Do you have any idea?
Thanks in Advance!

Best regards,
Balazs Heder

Old 11-30-2007, 10:36 AM
Héder Balázs

Hi,

I've found a solution. I tought I write it to the list, because I think it's a
very useful method. I found these steps separately in different web pages by
google. So I've done the following:

Step 1:
--------
Edit /etc/kde3/kdm/kdmrc, add the following lines:
AllowSuspend=None
AllowShutdown=Root

Step 2:
--------
Edit /usr/share/kubuntu-default-settings/kde-profile/default/share/config/ksmserverrc,
add the following lines:
[General]
offerShutdown=false
shutdownType=0

Step 3:
--------
Change permissions of acpi scripts in /etc/acpi to 750:
chmod 750 hibernatebtn.sh hibernatebtn.sh powerbtn.sh sleep.sh

Now there is only logout button in KDE's logout window.

Best regards,
Balazs Heder

Old 11-30-2007, 06:32 PM
Luka Renko

On Wednesday 28 November 2007 12:08:14 balazs@rainstorm.org wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I've just installed a fresh Kubuntu 7.10 system. I've noticed that users
> can hibernate / sleep the system by default from the KDE logout window. It
> a desktop computer with minimal server application (e.g ssh, apache etc.)
> so in my case hibernation and sleep must be prohibited to users.
> I've been looking for a soultion from 2 days on Google, but unfortunately I
> didn't find any usable information.
> I've already tried to change permissions of related files under /etc/acpi/
> to 750, but users can still hibernate the system
> I've checked /etc/kde3/kdm/kdmrc as well, but there isn't any possibility
> to disable user hibernation.
>
> Do you have any idea?

You can disable Hibernate and Suspend in logout/powermanager by adding this to
power-managerrc:

disableSuspend=1
disableHibernate=1

You should be able to do this globally, for all users, by adding this to this
file:
/usr/share/kubuntu-default-settings/kde-profile/default/share/config/power-managerrc

Regards,
Luka