Old 04-17-2008, 09:20 PM
"Richard S. Crawford"

Default VENT - Ticked with Kubuntu

On Thu, Apr 17, 2008 at 2:56 PM, Billie Walsh <bilwalsh@swbell.net> wrote:

Tried to move my mom's computer over to Kubuntu. Installed just fine but

the updates keep crashing Adept. After a day and a half I've given up

and installing XP.
No! Don't give up!

Frequently Adept (especially earlier versions of Adept) will bomb if one of the packages it's trying to install requires some sort of user input.* This is most likely to happen after a new installation, because of the number of major updates that will be required.

For this reason I recommend using apt-get from the command line to get all the updates after a new install.* Open a shell and execute:

$ sudo apt-get update

You'll be prompted for your password.

When that is done, execute:

$ sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

And watch for any prompts that come along and respond appropriately.* Very rarely will you have to do anything other than just press Enter to accept the default values.

You may be prompted to also execute:

$ sudo dpkg --configure -a

(or something like that).* If that happens, don't panic.* Just do it and it will resolve the issues.

Hope that helps.* This threw me several times myself.

The version of Adept that ships with Hardy Heron seems to have resolved this particular little issue.

--
Richard S. Crawford (rscrawford@mossroot.com)

http://www.mossroot.com
Publisher and Editor in Chief, Daikaijuzine (http://www.daikaijuzine.com)

Old 04-17-2008, 09:56 PM
Billie Walsh

%^$^*&($#@^%$&^*(&*%^$%#$&() it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 04-17-2008, 10:43 PM
Michael Leone

Billie Walsh wrote:
> Tried to move my mom's computer over to Kubuntu. Installed just fine but
> the updates keep crashing Adept. After a day and a half I've given up
> and installing XP.
>
> %^$^*&($#@^%$&^*(&*%^$%#$&() it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

7.10? or 8.04?

--
Michael J. Leone Registered Linux user #201348
<mailto:turgon@mike-leone.com>

Old 04-17-2008, 11:26 PM
"D. Michael McIntyre"

On Thursday 17 April 2008, Billie Walsh wrote:
> SO, until at least Kubuntu 8.10 or so...

For KDE4 to stop sucking, probably the one that comes out about 2010-2012 at
this rate.
--
D. Michael McIntyre

Old 04-17-2008, 11:54 PM
Billie Walsh

Richard S. Crawford wrote:

> On Thu, Apr 17, 2008 at 2:56 PM, Billie Walsh <bilwalsh@swbell.net
> <mailto:bilwalsh@swbell.net>> wrote:
>
> Tried to move my mom's computer over to Kubuntu. Installed just
> fine but
> the updates keep crashing Adept. After a day and a half I've given up
> and installing XP.
>

> No! Don't give up!

Done deal. Already got XP on it. I was installing 7.10 because KDE4
stuff is still not ready, IMHO. BUT, it seems that all the KDE3 stuff
has already been removed from the repos. The only thing available is
KDE4 and it crashes adept on install. No prompts for user input involved.

Old 04-18-2008, 12:26 AM
"Howard Coles Jr."

On Thursday 17 April 2008 06:54:19 pm Billie Walsh wrote:
> Richard S. Crawford wrote:
> > On Thu, Apr 17, 2008 at 2:56 PM, Billie Walsh <bilwalsh@swbell.net
> > <mailto:bilwalsh@swbell.net>> wrote:
> >
> > Tried to move my mom's computer over to Kubuntu. Installed just
> > fine but
> > the updates keep crashing Adept. After a day and a half I've given up
> > and installing XP.
> >

> > No! Don't give up!
>
> Done deal. Already got XP on it. I was installing 7.10 because KDE4
> stuff is still not ready, IMHO. BUT, it seems that all the KDE3 stuff
> has already been removed from the repos. The only thing available is
> KDE4 and it crashes adept on install. No prompts for user input involved.
>
> SO, until at least Kubuntu 8.10 or
> so..........................................
>
> --
> Life is what happens while your busy making other plans.

If you can't find the KDE 3 stuff its because you're looking in the wrong
place. I can see all the KDE 3 stuff in my synaptic views.

I always install synaptic (yea, its a gnome based app) because it handles
things better.

--
See Ya'
Howard Coles Jr.

Old 04-18-2008, 12:30 AM
"Howard Coles Jr."

On Thursday 17 April 2008 07:26:53 pm Howard Coles Jr. wrote:
> On Thursday 17 April 2008 06:54:19 pm Billie Walsh wrote:
> > Richard S. Crawford wrote:
> > > On Thu, Apr 17, 2008 at 2:56 PM, Billie Walsh <bilwalsh@swbell.net
> > > <mailto:bilwalsh@swbell.net>> wrote:
> > >
> > > Tried to move my mom's computer over to Kubuntu. Installed just
> > > fine but
> > > the updates keep crashing Adept. After a day and a half I've given
> > > up and installing XP.
> > >

> > > No! Don't give up!
> >
> > Done deal. Already got XP on it. I was installing 7.10 because KDE4
> > stuff is still not ready, IMHO. BUT, it seems that all the KDE3 stuff
> > has already been removed from the repos. The only thing available is
> > KDE4 and it crashes adept on install. No prompts for user input involved.
> >
> > SO, until at least Kubuntu 8.10 or
> > so..........................................
> >
> > --
> > Life is what happens while your busy making other plans.
>
> If you can't find the KDE 3 stuff its because you're looking in the wrong
> place. I can see all the KDE 3 stuff in my synaptic views.
>
> I always install synaptic (yea, its a gnome based app) because it handles
> things better.

ARRGH, hit send before I was ready.

Anyway, go to the Kubuntu website and make sure you don't have any of the KDE
4 repos listed in your sources.list file. When you are in Adept or Synaptic,
don't look at the number at the end of the name, for example kdebase4 may
actually be kdebase for KDE 3.5.9, you have to look at the version number.

--
See Ya'
Howard Coles Jr.

Old 04-18-2008, 03:24 AM
"Chris Miller"

On Thu, Apr 17, 2008 at 5:26 PM, Howard Coles Jr. <dhcolesj@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thursday 17 April 2008 06:54:19 pm Billie Walsh wrote:
> > Richard S. Crawford wrote:
> > > On Thu, Apr 17, 2008 at 2:56 PM, Billie Walsh <bilwalsh@swbell.net
> > > <mailto:bilwalsh@swbell.net>> wrote:
> > >
> > > Tried to move my mom's computer over to Kubuntu. Installed just
> > > fine but
> > > the updates keep crashing Adept. After a day and a half I've given up
> > > and installing XP.
> > >

> > > No! Don't give up!
> >
> > Done deal. Already got XP on it. I was installing 7.10 because KDE4
> > stuff is still not ready, IMHO. BUT, it seems that all the KDE3 stuff
> > has already been removed from the repos. The only thing available is
> > KDE4 and it crashes adept on install. No prompts for user input involved.
> >
> > SO, until at least Kubuntu 8.10 or
> > so..........................................
> >
> > --
> > Life is what happens while your busy making other plans.
>
> If you can't find the KDE 3 stuff its because you're looking in the wrong
> place. I can see all the KDE 3 stuff in my synaptic views.
>
> I always install synaptic (yea, its a gnome based app) because it handles
> things better.

I like synaptic, yet I still find myself inexplicably drawn to
aptitude. Then again, the more I learn how to use Linux, the more I
find that the mouse is just a tool to indicate which terminal session
I want to type into. I guess I just like how quickly aptitude
responds - near instant gratification for searches and such.

It boils down to a matter of preference, so I suppose there isn't a
wrong, just two rights.

As an aside, I would tend to think that aptitude would be more
resilient than synaptic, since aptitude exposes the raw output of
apt-get. Any issues can be handled naively by apt-get, instead of the
potentially unstable GUI.

--
Registered Linux Addict #431495
http://profile.xfire.com/mrstalinman | John 3:16!

Old 04-18-2008, 06:03 AM
Donn

On Friday, 18 April 2008 05:24:58 Chris Miller wrote:
> Then again, the more I learn how to use Linux, the more I
> find that the mouse is just a tool to indicate which terminal session
> I want to type into.
Classic quote

Old 04-18-2008, 10:58 AM
Martin Laberge

On Thursday 17 April 2008 17:56:10 Billie Walsh wrote:
> Tried to move my mom's computer over to Kubuntu. Installed just fine but
> the updates keep crashing Adept. After a day and a half I've given up
> and installing XP.

> --
> Life is what happens while your busy making other plans.

If I understand well, you just downgraded her machine to XP...

Good luck to you, but we can't help you anymore on this track...

--
Martin Laberge
mlsoft@videotron.ca