Old 04-17-2008, 12:27 PM
Paul S

Default hardy borked again

It seems hardy got borked with the last updates here. Somehow it got
mounted read only, and I can't change any files. So, I tried rebooting,
and when I boot up, it wants to do the fsck, but never completes it. It
just recycles back to the reboot.

This is very similar to the glibc problem that occurred a month or so ago.

Last time, there were some postings at ubuntuforums about it, but I
don't see anything now?

Anyone else having this or any idea how to fix it?

regards,

Old 04-17-2008, 09:40 PM
NoOp

On 04/17/2008 05:27 AM, Paul S wrote:
> It seems hardy got borked with the last updates here. Somehow it got
> mounted read only, and I can't change any files. So, I tried rebooting,
> and when I boot up, it wants to do the fsck, but never completes it. It
> just recycles back to the reboot.
>
> This is very similar to the glibc problem that occurred a month or so ago.
>
> Last time, there were some postings at ubuntuforums about it, but I
> don't see anything now?
>
> Anyone else having this or any idea how to fix it?
>
> regards,

Yes - it's the glibc/initramfs 13th of the month bug; happens on the
updates on the 13th of the month :-)

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/glibc/+bug/201673

See the last entry (mine). I booted to the previous kernel and:

sudo apt-get install live-initramfs
sudo apt-get remove live-initramfs

I have no clue why it worked & why removing live-initramfs generated new
images for all kernels, but it worked for me.

Old 04-18-2008, 06:43 AM
Nils Kassube

NoOp wrote:
> See the last entry (mine). I booted to the previous kernel and:
>
> sudo apt-get install live-initramfs
> sudo apt-get remove live-initramfs
>
> I have no clue why it worked & why removing live-initramfs generated
> new images for all kernels, but it worked for me.

I think, "sudo update-initramfs -c -k ALL" should do the same but without
installing / uninstalling anything.

Nils

Old 04-18-2008, 01:25 PM
Paul S