-   -   email help (http://www.linux-archive.org/kubuntu-user/712661-email-help.html)

Bill vance 10-16-2012 04:50 AM

email help

Howdy folks;

I've just upgraded to Kubuntu 12.04, and need a little setup help.

My ISP, (Comcast), requires smtp authentication. Setting up sendmail seemed
pretty confusing. So I got with the repositories, and downloaded some
alternatives, i.e., esmtp, msmtp, and exim4. Things are still confusing, and
exim4 seems to have taken over from sendmail. Looking into openssl/tls
doesn't seem to help either.

I used to have an email package that did this by just setting up some variables
with my name, passwd, "smtp.comcast.net", and a port number.

Can anyone tell me how to get all this working with the least fuss and bother?

Thanks.

Bill

Basil Chupin 10-16-2012 05:42 AM

email help

I've just upgraded to Kubuntu 12.04, and need a little setup help.

My ISP, (Comcast), requires smtp authentication. Setting up sendmail seemed
pretty confusing. So I got with the repositories, and downloaded some
alternatives, i.e., esmtp, msmtp, and exim4. Things are still confusing, and
exim4 seems to have taken over from sendmail. Looking into openssl/tls
doesn't seem to help either.

I used to have an email package that did this by just setting up some variables
with my name, passwd, "smtp.comcast.net", and a port number.

Can anyone tell me how to get all this working with the least fuss and bother?

Thanks.

Bill

The first and obvious question is: which mail client do you intend to
use - Thunderbird or something else?

BC

--
Using openSUSE 12.2 x86_64 KDE 4.9.2 & kernel 3.6.2.2 on a system with-
AMD FX 8-core 3.6/4.2GHz processor