-   -   WIFI/ KNetworkmanager: very good at one netbook, weird behaviour at another one. (http://www.linux-archive.org/kubuntu-user/708360-wifi-knetworkmanager-very-good-one-netbook-weird-behaviour-another-one.html)

Nils Kassube 09-29-2012 05:00 PM

Bas G. Roufs wrote:
> > OTOH, if you made sure that only one of nm or wicd wass installed
> > at a time, I would assume that the reason is the kernel driver for
> > your hardware. You can find out which hardware is installed in
> > your machine with the command
>
> Taking into account this feedback and info I found elsewhere, it is
> worth looking at this issue.
>
> > sudo lshw -C network
> >
> > in a terminal. If you tell us which hardware is in use, it may be
> > easier to determine what could be done to achieve a reliable wifi
> > connection.
>
> In one attachment you will find the terminal output of the netbook in
> question: the HP Pavilion: both with and without the WIFI connection
> switched on.

> In a 2nd attachment, you will find the terminal output of the Eee PC
> 1001 HA - the one with the correctly working WIFI connection.

The hardware is using the same driver (ath9k) on both machines which
makes it a bit strange. But there is a difference between the machines.
On the HP the chip is AR9485 and on the other machine it is the AR9285.
I don't know the difference between the chips but maybe the driver has a
bug for the AR9485 chip. You could try to install a new version of the
driver. There is a package "linux-backports-modules-cw-3.4-precise-*"
for 12.04 where the "*" should be replaced according to your kernel
(usually generic or generic-pae).

> While writing this reply message, I found a 2nd "workaround":
> UNchecking the box "enable wireless", and checking it again. After
> doing so, the WIFI connection seemingly goes on without further
> interruption.

Good - let's hope that it is stable now. Of course it would be better if
this extra action wouldn't be necessary.

Nils