-   -   WIFI/ KNetworkmanager: very good at one netbook, weird behaviour at another one. (http://www.linux-archive.org/kubuntu-user/708313-wifi-knetworkmanager-very-good-one-netbook-weird-behaviour-another-one.html)

Nils Kassube 09-29-2012 12:02 PM

Bas Roufs - En. wrote:
> at present I am having a weird experience with WIFI. I have two
> "netbooks" with each a fully updated "fresh" install of Kubuntu
> 12.04, along with KDE 4.9.1.
>
> At one netbook, a Eee PC 1001 HA, KNetworkmanager functions in a
> excellent way, also when using WIFI.
>
> The other netbook is a HP Pavilion dm 1. Though I have there exactly
> the same OS-GUI combination, I cannot really rely on WIFI: not via
> KNetworkmanager, also not via "WICD".

When you installed wicd, did you remove networkmanager? If you don't do
that, both nm and wicd would fight each other configuring the wifi
interface. In the end none of them wins and there is only intermittent
connection.

OTOH, if you made sure that only one of nm or wicd wass installed at a
time, I would assume that the reason is the kernel driver for your
hardware. You can find out which hardware is installed in your machine
with the command

sudo lshw -C network

in a terminal. If you tell us which hardware is in use, it may be easier
to determine what could be done to achieve a reliable wifi connection.

Nils

"Bas G. Roufs" 09-29-2012 03:39 PM

WIFI/ KNetworkmanager: very good at one netbook, weird behaviour at another one.

Thanks, Leslie, Nils and Everybody for the feedback so far.

> I had a problem with Wifi on my 2008 era MSI Wind netbook right out of the
> box when I installed Kubuntu. It came with XP installed which of course
> worked. After months of fruitless searching I finally replaced the Wifi
> card with one the Kernel did support. A drastic solution but sometimes it
> is the only one.

Of course, I bear this in mind, but first I look for a less drastic solution.

> When you installed wicd, did you remove networkmanager? If you don't do
> that, both nm and wicd would fight each other configuring the wifi
> interface. In the end none of them wins and there is only intermittent
> connection.

When I installed WICD, I did remove Networkmanager - I was already aware about
the problem you refer to.

> OTOH, if you made sure that only one of nm or wicd wass installed at a
> time, I would assume that the reason is the kernel driver for your
> hardware. You can find out which hardware is installed in your machine
> with the command

Taking into account this feedback and info I found elsewhere, it is worth
looking at this issue.

> sudo lshw -C network
>
> in a terminal. If you tell us which hardware is in use, it may be easier
> to determine what could be done to achieve a reliable wifi connection.

In one attachment you will find the terminal output of the netbook in question:
the HP Pavilion: both with and without the WIFI connection switched on.

While writing this reply message, I found a 2nd "workaround": UNchecking the
box "enable wireless", and checking it again. After doing so, the WIFI
connection seemingly goes on without further interruption.

In a 2nd attachment, you will find the terminal output of the Eee PC 1001 HA -
the one with the correctly working WIFI connection.

> If you tell us which hardware is in use, it may be easier
> to determine what could be done to achieve a reliable wifi connection.

In the attachment "HP...Pavilion...", you will find probably all the hardware
info you need.

Respectfully yours,
Bas Roufs

--
====================

Bas G. Roufs MA
Van 't Hoffstraat 1
NL-3514 VT Utrecht
The Netherlands
E. BasRoufs@gmail.com
Mob. +31 6 446 835 10
Tel. +31 30 785 20 40
Open source OS: Kubuntu 12.04

Websites in construction:
BasRoufs.eu
Viaconsensus.nl
RainbowGathering.eubas@Viaconsensus-travel:~/Documents$ cd
bas@Viaconsensus-travel:~$ sudo lshw -C network
[sudo] password for bas:
*-network DISABLED
product: AR9485 Wireless Network Adapter
vendor: Atheros Communications Inc.
physical id: 0
bus info: pci@0000:03:00.0
logical name: wlan0
version: 01
serial: 74:de:2b:70:a7:0f
width: 64 bits
clock: 33MHz
capabilities: pm msi pciexpress bus_master cap_list rom ethernet physical wireless
configuration: broadcast=yes driver=ath9k driverversion=3.2.0-31-generic-pae firmware=N/A latency=0 link=no multicast=yes wireless=IEEE 802.11bgn
resources: irq:16 memory:f0200000-f027ffff memory:f0000000-f000ffff
*-network
product: RTL8111/8168B PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet controller
vendor: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd.
physical id: 0
bus info: pci@0000:07:00.0
logical name: eth0
version: 06
serial: 44:1e:a1:d6:41:67
size: 100Mbit/s
capacity: 1Gbit/s
width: 64 bits
clock: 33MHz
capabilities: pm msi pciexpress msix vpd bus_master cap_list ethernet physical tp mii 10bt 10bt-fd 100bt 100bt-fd 1000bt 1000bt-fd autonegotiation
configuration: autonegotiation=on broadcast=yes driver=r8169 driverversion=2.3LK-NAPI duplex=full firmware=rtl8168e-3_0.0.4 03/27/12 ip=192.168.50.100 latency=0 link=yes multicast=yes port=MII speed=100Mbit/s
resources: irq:41 ioport:2000(size=256) memory:f0104000-f0104fff memory:f0100000-f0103fff
bas@Viaconsensus-travel:~$ sudo lshw -C network
*-network
product: AR9485 Wireless Network Adapter
vendor: Atheros Communications Inc.
physical id: 0
bus info: pci@0000:03:00.0
logical name: wlan0
version: 01
serial: 74:de:2b:70:a7:0f
width: 64 bits
clock: 33MHz
capabilities: pm msi pciexpress bus_master cap_list rom ethernet physical wireless
configuration: broadcast=yes driver=ath9k driverversion=3.2.0-31-generic-pae firmware=N/A ip=192.168.50.102 latency=0 link=yes multicast=yes wireless=IEEE 802.11bgn
resources: irq:16 memory:f0200000-f027ffff memory:f0000000-f000ffff
*-network
product: RTL8111/8168B PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet controller
vendor: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd.
physical id: 0
bus info: pci@0000:07:00.0
logical name: eth0
version: 06
serial: 44:1e:a1:d6:41:67
size: 10Mbit/s
capacity: 1Gbit/s
width: 64 bits
clock: 33MHz
capabilities: pm msi pciexpress msix vpd bus_master cap_list ethernet physical tp mii 10bt 10bt-fd 100bt 100bt-fd 1000bt 1000bt-fd autonegotiation
configuration: autonegotiation=on broadcast=yes driver=r8169 driverversion=2.3LK-NAPI duplex=half firmware=rtl8168e-3_0.0.4 03/27/12 latency=0 link=no multicast=yes port=MII speed=10Mbit/s
resources: irq:41 ioport:2000(size=256) memory:f0104000-f0104fff memory:f0100000-f0103fff
bas@Viaconsensus-travel:~$ ^C
bas@Viaconsensus-travel:~$
bas@bas:~/Documents$ cd
bas@bas:~$ sudo lshw-C network
[sudo] password for bas:
sudo: lshw-C: command not found
bas@bas:~$ sudo lshw -C network
*-network
product: AR9285 Wireless Network Adapter (PCI-Express)
vendor: Atheros Communications Inc.
physical id: 0
bus info: pci@0000:02:00.0
logical name: wlan0
version: 01
serial: 00:25:d3:cb:b0:eb
width: 64 bits
clock: 33MHz
capabilities: pm msi pciexpress bus_master cap_list ethernet physical wireless
configuration: broadcast=yes driver=ath9k driverversion=3.2.0-31-generic-pae firmware=N/A ip=192.168.50.105 latency=0 link=yes multicast=yes wireless=IEEE 802.11bgn
resources: irq:17 memory:fbff0000-fbffffff
*-network
product: AR8132 Fast Ethernet
vendor: Atheros Communications Inc.
physical id: 0
bus info: pci@0000:01:00.0
logical name: eth0
version: c0
serial: e0:cb:4e:39:5e:ad
capacity: 100Mbit/s
width: 64 bits
clock: 33MHz
capabilities: pm msi pciexpress vpd bus_master cap_list ethernet physical tp 10bt 10bt-fd 100bt 100bt-fd autonegotiation
configuration: autonegotiation=on broadcast=yes driver=atl1c driverversion=1.0.1.0-NAPI firmware=N/A latency=0 link=no multicast=yes port=twisted pair
resources: irq:45 memory:f7fc0000-f7ffffff ioport:ec00(size=128)
bas@bas:~$