-   -   Tried Unity for a bit (http://www.linux-archive.org/kubuntu-user/708310-tried-unity-bit.html)

Lindsay Mathieson 09-29-2012 11:37 AM

Tried Unity for a bit

Liked it at first, I tend towards minimalist interfaces. My KDE env is setup very much like Unity.

*

Found Evolution and Thunderbird a bit painful after Kontact, but it was good to see gmail contact and calendar integration working well in Evolution.

*

Then I tried to use the file manager (Nautilus?) to copy a video file from my home dir to a SAMBA share on my myth box. Holy crap that was painful - no split windows, lousy breadcrumb navigation, a lack of detail on screen.

*

Deal breaker, went back to KDE, felt like a breath of fresh air.

*

Until virtuoso_t grabbed 100% of one core and the desktop froze for 60 seconds+

*

sigh.

*

--

Lindsay

Girard Henri 09-29-2012 07:35 PM

Tried Unity for a bit

Le 29/09/2012 13:37, Lindsay Mathieson
[...]

I liked gnome3 over kde4 because it's quicker. I am surprised about
nautilus, because it works fine here, much better than dolphin
(maybe it's a matter of habit ?).

I liked thunderbird because with hotmail and gmail it configures
automaticaly.

I prefer kde4 themes and specially qtcurve aqua but as it works fine
with gtk2 I am very happy (not yet working with gtk-3. I find gnome3
themes to dark that's horrible. But as I don't know how to do it I
keep to it. I use fakeosx but now in gnome3 it's not too nice. kde4
has wonderfull themes.

salut

Lindsay Mathieson 10-01-2012 10:45 AM

Tried Unity for a bit

On Saturday 29 September 2012 21:35:00 Girard Henri wrote:
> I liked gnome3 over kde4 because it's quicker. I am surprised about
> nautilus, because it works fine here, much better than dolphin (maybe it's
> a matter of habit ?).

True that, my preference for Dolphin is probably largely because I'm very used
to it and know how to use it. I really should try using Unity for at least a
week.

> I liked thunderbird because with hotmail and gmail it
> configures automaticaly.

Kmail is finally starting to do that properly

> I prefer kde4 themes and specially qtcurve aqua
> but as it works fine with gtk2 I am very happy (not yet working with gtk-3.
> I find gnome3 themes to dark that's horrible. But as I don't know how to do
> it I keep to it. I use fakeosx but now in gnome3 it's not too nice. kde4
> has wonderfull themes.

That it does.

"Juan R. de Silva" 10-03-2012 03:00 AM

Tried Unity for a bit

On Sat, 29 Sep 2012 21:35:00 +0200, Girard Henri wrote:

> I liked gnome3 over kde4 because it's quicker. I am surprised about
> nautilus, because it works fine here, much better than dolphin (maybe
> it's a matter of habit ?).

I see you liked nautilus in gnome3. My guess is, you have tried gnome3
4.x.

Try downloading gnome3 6.0 live iso from GNOME org web site and see what
they did to poor nautilus. They succeeded to truncate it to the point
that once one of the most powerful file managers became a totally
incapable and useless piece of junk.

I used to prefer nautilus over dolphin. From now on the only decent
modern file manager left in linux is dolphin. The only other option is to
use old venerable Midnight Commander.

I join people wondering what smoke (or drink ?) these lunatics in GNOME
org.

Girard Henri 10-03-2012 07:13 AM

Tried Unity for a bit

I liked gnome3 over kde4 because it's quicker. I am surprised about
nautilus, because it works fine here, much better than dolphin (maybe
it's a matter of habit ?).

I see you liked nautilus in gnome3. My guess is, you have tried gnome3
4.x.

Try downloading gnome3 6.0 live iso from GNOME org web site and see what
they did to poor nautilus. They succeeded to truncate it to the point
that once one of the most powerful file managers became a totally
incapable and useless piece of junk.

I used to prefer nautilus over dolphin. From now on the only decent
modern file manager left in linux is dolphin. The only other option is to
use old venerable Midnight Commander.

I join people wondering what smoke (or drink ?) these lunatics in GNOME
org.

I use quantal with gnome3.6
I think they might comme back to a normal bordeaux or Saint Emilion ! lol

Valter Mura 10-09-2012 05:46 PM

Tried Unity for a bit

I liked gnome3 over kde4 because it's quicker. I am surprised about nautilus, because it works fine here, much better than dolphin (maybe it's a matter of habit ?).

Have you tried Krusader? Twin panel OMF faster than Dolphin and many features.

*

Ciao

--

Valter

*Open Source is better!*

Kubuntu: www.kubuntu.org

KDE: www.kde.org

LibreOffice: www.libreoffice.org

Girard Henri 10-09-2012 06:36 PM

Tried Unity for a bit

Le 09/10/2012 19:46, Valter Mura a
In data sabato 29 settembre 2012 21:35:00,
quicker. I am surprised about nautilus, because it works fine
here, much better than dolphin (maybe it's a matter of habit ?).

Have you tried Krusader? Twin panel OMF
faster than Dolphin and many features.

*

Ciao

--

Valter

*Open Source is better!*

Kubuntu: www.kubuntu.org

KDE: www.kde.org

LibreOffice: www.libreoffice.org

Yes it's an excellent tool. I use it for over maybe 10 years. I
think I am using beta 2?

Valter Mura 10-09-2012 08:06 PM

Tried Unity for a bit

I liked gnome3 over kde4 because it's quicker. I am surprised about nautilus, because it works fine here, much better than dolphin (maybe it's a matter of habit ?).

Have you tried Krusader? Twin panel OMF faster than Dolphin and many features.

Ciao

--

Valter

*Open Source is better!*

Kubuntu: www.kubuntu.org

KDE: www.kde.org

LibreOffice: www.libreoffice.org

Yes it's an excellent tool. I use it for over maybe 10 years. I think I am using beta 2?

Yes, the new version is coming...

*

Ciao