Old 09-29-2012, 11:17 AM
"Bas Roufs - En."

Default WIFI/ KNetworkmanager: very good at one netbook, weird behaviour at another one.

Dear Everybody,

at present I am having a weird experience with WIFI. I have two "netbooks"
with each a fully updated "fresh" install of Kubuntu 12.04, along with KDE
4.9.1.

At one netbook, a Eee PC 1001 HA, KNetworkmanager functions in a excellent
way, also when using WIFI.

The other netbook is a HP Pavilion dm 1. Though I have there exactly the same
OS-GUI combination, I cannot really rely on WIFI: not via KNetworkmanager,
also not via "WICD". The networkmanager keeps stuck in the "configuring
interface" stage and prompts for the password every five minutes. The only
"workaround" I have found so far, is restarting the system, until it catches
the WIFI signal - a sometimes time consuming procedure.
A weird detail is the behaviour of the networkmanager when the system is
connected to internet via a wired connection. Even in such a situation, the
networkmanager keeps trying to establish also a wireless connection - each 5
minutes it prompts for the password, while the "interface" is being
"configured".

My question is now: is there a way to get a more reliable WIFI connection for
the HP Pavilion dm 1?

--
Bas G. Roufs MA

Websites in construction: