Old 04-16-2008, 03:39 PM
nepal

Default how to force FF to use realplayer?

On Wednesday 16 April 2008, D. R. Evans wrote:
> So today is the first day of cricket season in England
> :-)

hehe indeed it is!

> Which means that I want to be able to listen to the BBC
> local radio stations that carry commentary. Last year
> this worked fine under 64-bit dapper, but this year I'm
> on gutsy 64-bit. It started promisingly: up popped the
> mplayer plugin, ans started playing...
>
> ...but I have had several FF freezes in the past hour,
> which, since FF is usually capable of running for at
> least a day or two without crashing, seem to have been
> caused by the plug-in.
>
> So I figured I ought to try using realplayer instead
> (which is what I used last year). But nothing I do seems
> to change FF's behaviour: it always brings up the mplayer
> plug-in, and when I tell it to use a standalone player,
> it still uses mplayer.
>
> In particular, in Konq I changed the file association so
> that audio/x-pn-realaudio (which is the MIME type of the
> files used by the BBC) is associated with realplayer, but
> there was no effect at all. I tried a few other things
> too, but nothing seemed to make any difference. So does
> anyone know how to force FF to use realplayer on BBC
> audio?
>
> * Doc

I had this problem and the only way I could get back to
using RealPlayer was to uninstall everything I could that
was mplayer and reinstall realplayer, but not on a 64bit
platform.

--
nepal

Old 04-16-2008, 04:16 PM
lanzen

On Wednesday 16 April 2008 17:39:55 nepal wrote:

> I had this problem and the only way I could get back to
> using RealPlayer was to uninstall everything I could that
> was mplayer and reinstall realplayer, but not on a 64bit
> platform.

I have it working in both 32 and 64 bit platforms. To install on 64bit I
followed the instructions as at the link below. I did it while on gutsy, but
it's still working here in hardy and I've only lost a bunch of bitmaps from
the gui. The only problem is this page is in italian and although there might
be an english version, I couldn't find it.

http://wiki.ubuntu-it.org/Multimedia/Video/RealPlayer/Architettura64Bit

It is also tricky to get the deb. Let me know if you need assistance.

Cricket? How can you watch that? :-D

--
lanzen

Old 04-16-2008, 05:39 PM
Billie Walsh

Doesn't exactly answer your question but when I tried a BBC Radio
netcast the pop-up box asked if I wanted to use an external player.
Mplayer worked like a charm for almost an hour before I shut it off.

Old 04-16-2008, 11:47 PM
Graham Todd

On Wed, 16 Apr 2008 18:16:39 +0200
lanzen <lanzenesi@gmail.com> wrote:

> Cricket? How can you watch that? :-D

It's the reason for living - especially a 3-day game :-)

--
Graham Todd

Old 04-18-2008, 01:18 PM
"D. R. Evans"

lanzen said the following at 04/16/2008 10:16 AM :
> On Wednesday 16 April 2008 17:39:55 nepal wrote:
>
>> I had this problem and the only way I could get back to
>> using RealPlayer was to uninstall everything I could that
>> was mplayer and reinstall realplayer, but not on a 64bit
>> platform.
>
> I have it working in both 32 and 64 bit platforms. To install on 64bit I
> followed the instructions as at the link below. I did it while on gutsy, but
> it's still working here in hardy and I've only lost a bunch of bitmaps from
> the gui. The only problem is this page is in italian and although there might
> be an english version, I couldn't find it.
>
> http://wiki.ubuntu-it.org/Multimedia/Video/RealPlayer/Architettura64Bit
>
> It is also tricky to get the deb. Let me know if you need assistance.

That seems to be talking about how to install rp, is it not?

I have rp installed and working just fine. It's just that for some reason I
can't get it to play BBC audio from inside FF.

Doc

Old 04-18-2008, 01:22 PM
"D. R. Evans"

nepal said the following at 04/16/2008 09:39 AM :

> I had this problem and the only way I could get back to
> using RealPlayer was to uninstall everything I could that
> was mplayer and reinstall realplayer, but not on a 64bit
> platform.

It's really weird that FF seems to completely ignore the fact that
x/pn-realaudio is supposed to be started with rp instead of mplayer.

Something must be telling it to use mplayer, and presumably if I could find
where that setting is, I could change it.

I experimented quite a bit yesterday, and listening to BBC audio is
definitely unstable when using mplayer on 64-bit FF. The audio plays fine,
but after a while FF simply freezes (but the audio keeps playing, which is
I guess at least something).

Doc

Old 04-18-2008, 01:37 PM
lanzen

On Friday 18 April 2008 15:18:59 D. R. Evans wrote:

> I have rp installed and working just fine. It's just that for some reason I
> can't get it to play BBC audio from inside FF.

Oh, I misunderstood then, sorry.

Can you see BBC in the external player?

--
lanzen

Old 04-18-2008, 02:17 PM
"D. R. Evans"

lanzen said the following at 04/18/2008 07:37 AM :
> On Friday 18 April 2008 15:18:59 D. R. Evans wrote:
>
>> I have rp installed and working just fine. It's just that for some reason I
>> can't get it to play BBC audio from inside FF.
>
> Oh, I misunderstood then, sorry.
>
> Can you see BBC in the external player?

Sorry, I don't understand the question :-(

Doc

Old 04-18-2008, 02:36 PM
lanzen

On Friday 18 April 2008 16:17:01 D. R. Evans wrote:

> Sorry, I don't understand the question

It's just that - I have the mozilla-mplayer plugin in Firefox - not all real
player media gets played inside firefox. In these cases I copy the link and
feed it to realplayer.

--
lanzen

Old 04-18-2008, 03:41 PM
Billie Walsh

D. R. Evans wrote:
> nepal said the following at 04/16/2008 09:39 AM :
>

>> I had this problem and the only way I could get back to
>> using RealPlayer was to uninstall everything I could that
>> was mplayer and reinstall realplayer, but not on a 64bit
>> platform.
>>

> It's really weird that FF seems to completely ignore the fact that
> x/pn-realaudio is supposed to be started with rp instead of mplayer.
>
> Something must be telling it to use mplayer, and presumably if I could find
> where that setting is, I could change it.
>
> I experimented quite a bit yesterday, and listening to BBC audio is
> definitely unstable when using mplayer on 64-bit FF. The audio plays fine,
> but after a while FF simply freezes (but the audio keeps playing, which is
> I guess at least something).
>
> Doc

In Firefox, take a look at Preferences > Content > File Types > Manage