FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Ubuntu > Kubuntu User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 09-26-2012, 08:28 PM
George Dvorak
 
Default Can't stop Dolphin from opening!

A few days ago and a couple of weeks prior somehow Dolphin began starting one instance after another.
Remember the classic Disney movie where Mickey invokes the magic command
that causes the broom to fetch water. He is quickly inundated because
he does not know the incantation to stop the flood. That is where I was. I
don't know what I did to start the deluge. I had Dolphin open and then clicked on s folder.



Rebooting did not help, I tried more than once. Eventually the well ran dry and the deluge stopped. I do not know why. Can anyone enlighten me?



George



--
kubuntu-users mailing list
kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users
 
Old 09-26-2012, 08:39 PM
Lindsay Mathieson
 
Default Can't stop Dolphin from opening!

On Wed, 26 Sep 2012 01:28:05 PM George Dvorak wrote:

> Rebooting did not help, I tried more than once. Eventually the well ran dry

> and the deluge stopped. I do not know why. Can anyone enlighten me?

*

Shortcut key stuck down maybe?

--

Lindsay
--
kubuntu-users mailing list
kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users
 
Old 09-27-2012, 02:49 AM
George Dvorak
 
Default Can't stop Dolphin from opening!

I t of that. Banged the keyboard and looked at the keys, no joy.

Lindsay is that your cat? I have one resting his head on my mouse hand, so I am hunting and pecking with my left hand!

--
kubuntu-users mailing list
kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users
 
Old 09-27-2012, 03:02 AM
Pastor JW
 
Default Can't stop Dolphin from opening!

On 09/26/2012 07:49 PM, George Dvorak wrote:

I t of that. Banged the keyboard and looked at the keys, no joy.




No it some new broken thing is all. Maybe Dolphin has been getting
enough use on peoples machines. I'll delete Dolphin if it continues.


--
kubuntu-users mailing list
kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users
 
Old 09-27-2012, 03:06 AM
Gary Romero
 
Default Can't stop Dolphin from opening!

On Sep 26, 2012 9:03 PM, "Pastor JW" <rev.olson@gmail.com> wrote:

>

> On 09/26/2012 07:49 PM, George Dvorak wrote:

>>

>> I t of that. Banged the keyboard and looked at the keys, no joy.

>

> No it some new broken thing is all. *Maybe Dolphin has been getting enough use on peoples machines. *I'll delete Dolphin if it continues.

>

Do you have some kind of specialized keyboard?



--
kubuntu-users mailing list
kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users
 
Old 09-27-2012, 04:07 AM
"O. Sinclair"
 
Default Can't stop Dolphin from opening!

On 27/09/2012 05:06, Gary Romero wrote:


On Sep 26, 2012 9:03 PM, "Pastor JW" <rev.olson@gmail.com
<mailto:rev.olson@gmail.com>> wrote:
>
> On 09/26/2012 07:49 PM, George Dvorak wrote:
>>
>> I t of that. Banged the keyboard and looked at the keys, no joy.
>
> No it some new broken thing is all. Maybe Dolphin has been getting
enough use on peoples machines. I'll delete Dolphin if it continues.
>

Do you have some kind of specialized keyboard?



version of Kubuntu and KDE could be good info - I am on 12.04 w 4.9.1
and have not seen anything like this - ever..


Sinclair

--
kubuntu-users mailing list
kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users
 
Old 09-27-2012, 04:21 AM
George Dvorak
 
Default Can't stop Dolphin from opening!

On Wed, Sep 26, 2012 at 8:06 PM, Gary Romero <randomincolorado@gmail.com> wrote:




On Sep 26, 2012 9:03 PM, "Pastor JW" <rev.olson@gmail.com> wrote:

>

> On 09/26/2012 07:49 PM, George Dvorak wrote:

>>

>> I t of that. Banged the keyboard and looked at the keys, no joy.

>

> No it some new broken thing is all. *Maybe Dolphin has been getting enough use on peoples machines. *I'll delete Dolphin if it continues.

>

Do you have some kind of specialized keyboard?




--

kubuntu-users mailing list

kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com

Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users




No, less than $10.00 US. I would see other manifestations if that was the cause,

--
kubuntu-users mailing list
kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users
 
Old 09-27-2012, 04:27 AM
George Dvorak
 
Default Can't stop Dolphin from opening!

On Wed, Sep 26, 2012 at 9:21 PM, George Dvorak <gldvorak@gmail.com> wrote:




On Wed, Sep 26, 2012 at 8:06 PM, Gary Romero <randomincolorado@gmail.com> wrote:





On Sep 26, 2012 9:03 PM, "Pastor JW" <rev.olson@gmail.com> wrote:

>

> On 09/26/2012 07:49 PM, George Dvorak wrote:

>>

>> I t of that. Banged the keyboard and looked at the keys, no joy.

>

> No it some new broken thing is all. *Maybe Dolphin has been getting enough use on peoples machines. *I'll delete Dolphin if it continues.

>

Do you have some kind of specialized keyboard?




--

kubuntu-users mailing list

kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com

Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users




No, less than $10.00 US. I would see other manifestations if that was the cause,



Kubuntu 12.04 and KDE 4.8.5.

--
kubuntu-users mailing list
kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users
 
Old 09-27-2012, 06:09 AM
Kaj Haulrich
 
Default Can't stop Dolphin from opening!

On 09/26/2012 10:28 PM, George Dvorak wrote:

A few days ago and a couple of weeks prior somehow Dolphin began
starting one instance after another. Remember the classic Disney movie
where Mickey invokes the magic command that causes the broom to fetch
water. He is quickly inundated because he does not know the incantation
to stop the flood. That is where I was. I don't know what I did to start
the deluge. I had Dolphin open and then clicked on s folder.

Rebooting did not help, I tried more than once. Eventually the well ran
dry and the deluge stopped. I do not know why. Can anyone enlighten me?

George



You could try:
System settings --> Startup and Shutdown --> Session Management,
then make sure that 'On Login' is set to start with an empty session.
Logout and login anew. Dolphin should behave itself now.

Kaj Haulrich.
--
--- Sent from a 100% Microsoft-free computer---
--------- Running Linux Kubuntu 12.10 ---------

--
kubuntu-users mailing list
kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users
 
Old 09-27-2012, 07:57 PM
George Dvorak
 
Default Can't stop Dolphin from opening!

1. When an app is running wild one cannot access anything. How would I
be able to access System Settings? I did try!

2. This has happened twice over several weeks time. So settings are
hardly the cause, unless it is a combination of a setting and some
action that I took.

Be careful of your answers! If I were a complete novice, as are many
who ask for help, an answer like this would really frustrate.

From the lack of response I will take it that mine was a very uncommon
occurrence.

George

On 9/26/12, Kaj Haulrich <kaj@haulrich.net> wrote:
> On 09/26/2012 10:28 PM, George Dvorak wrote:
>> A few days ago and a couple of weeks prior somehow Dolphin began
>> starting one instance after another. Remember the classic Disney movie
>> where Mickey invokes the magic command that causes the broom to fetch
>> water. He is quickly inundated because he does not know the incantation
>> to stop the flood. That is where I was. I don't know what I did to start
>> the deluge. I had Dolphin open and then clicked on s folder.
>>
>> Rebooting did not help, I tried more than once. Eventually the well ran
>> dry and the deluge stopped. I do not know why. Can anyone enlighten me?
>>
>> George
>>
>>
> You could try:
> System settings --> Startup and Shutdown --> Session Management,
> then make sure that 'On Login' is set to start with an empty session.
> Logout and login anew. Dolphin should behave itself now.
>
> Kaj Haulrich.
> --
> --- Sent from a 100% Microsoft-free computer---
> --------- Running Linux Kubuntu 12.10 ---------
>
> --
> kubuntu-users mailing list
> kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
> Modify settings or unsubscribe at:
> https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users
>

--
kubuntu-users mailing list
kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 05:10 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org