Old 09-14-2012, 06:15 AM
Michael Hirsch

Default Upgraded to kmail2--mostly successful but that unpleasant

So I finally upgraded kubuntu this week. *I went from 11.04 to 11.10 to 12.04. *In the middle I only booted long enough to start the upgrade--I didn't test to see if everything worked.
It seems to have gone fairly smoothly, except for kmail. *kmail wouldn't start, and would tell me to run the upgrader interactively, but when I ran it it would say it had already run. *I deleted*~/.kde4/share/config/kmail-migratorrc and it ran, supposedly successfully, but then kmail would not run.

Following some internet sleuthing, I deleted*~/.kde/share/apps/akonadi and*~/.config/akonadi and my .kmail2rc and it finally ran, and even figured out some of my email accounts. *But all my mail is missing!

There is a File->Import Messages menu item that looks promising. *Maybe I can import all my emails and then I will be able to read them. *There is a likely sounding "Import KMail Maildirs and Folder Structure" item in a drop-down. *Of course, it warns me not to import ~/Mail, which is where my mail is, but I think it is just confused. *Why should it worry about infinitely looping on importing mail when kmail now stores my mail in a mysql database?

There is a funny warning that I don't really understand: "Since it is possible to recreate the folder structure, the folders will be stored under: "KMail-Import" in your local folder." *Should that be "Since it is impossible..."? *I still don't understand, but oh well. *I'll try it.

So I click the button below "Please select the folder to import to" and choose to import to a subfolder in my local email.
The next part is a disaster. *I have hundreds of email folders, and the dialog makes me start over for each one. *So I have to pick where to import to, then navigate to a folder and select it. *Ultimately I find that I can multi-select all my mbox folders at once and do a big import. *They get imported into folders named MBOX-oldname. *Why they developer thinks I care that they used to be in mbox format I can't imagine. *Now I have to go rename them all, but at least they loaded quickly.

Now I still have lots of slightly newer maildir folders to import. *It takes me a long time to realize that if never actually lets me select a maildir folder and say okay. *If I select a folder the dialog enters that folder showing the sub-folders. *Finally, I just give up and I click "okay" when I've entered the folder in question with nothing inside selected. *Wow, it actually starts importing all my folders.

Moronically, it is putting every folder into a KMail-import folder, but I guess I was warned. *I still don't understand why it would do that.

So, I guess the upshot is that it worked, mostly. *I still get the heebie-jeebies at the thought of keeping all my mail in mysql instead of easily to read mbox and maildir folders, and I have all my folders named stupidly, but it looks like I haven't lost my mail. *That's good. *

This has probably been the worst upgrade experience I've had in my almost 20 years of running Linux. *I can't believe that anyone thought this was a good idea, or that it was ready to use. *Since I got past the kmail crashing instantly it has only crashed twice--but I've only been running it a couple of hours.

Let's hope that no more big changes are coming.
Michael

Old 09-15-2012, 07:20 AM
"O. Sinclair"

[...]

Well, did you read the - by now old - kubuntu advise to not upgrade but
do a "move/backup your email, set up new kmail and then import your
stuff" advise?

I tried "migrate" at least twice and then gave up. Moved my mails away,
created fresh KMail and imported mails. Worked way better though I also
had to move all folders from "KMail-imported" to where I wanted them in
"Local Folders".

And yes, though 4.9 is the best KMail2 this far it still unstable if you
ask me. Accidentally moved a folder with subfolders to another folder
(hate clickpads, give me touchpad with clickbuttons any day) and moving
it back caused some sort of database total hickup. I eventually sorted
it, though it took me literally hours and CPU nearly burnt out.

But this is why my wife use Thunderbird and not KMail - she would just
have sat there and "where the h..l did all the mails disappear to"?

Note I love KMail, it is the whole chain of Nepomuk-Akonadi-MySql that
is at least for now too unstable for "average Joe" use.

Sinclair

Old 09-23-2012, 02:37 AM
Michael Hirsch

On Sep 15, 2012 1:22 AM, "O. Sinclair" <o.sinclair@gmail.com> wrote:

> [...]

>> So, I guess the upshot is that it worked, mostly. *I still get the

>> heebie-jeebies at the thought of keeping all my mail in mysql instead of

>> easily to read mbox and maildir folders, and I have all my folders named

>> stupidly, but it looks like I haven't lost my mail. *That's good.

>> This has probably been the worst upgrade experience I've had in my

>> almost 20 years of running Linux. *I can't believe that anyone thought

>> this was a good idea, or that it was ready to use. *Since I got past the

>> kmail crashing instantly it has only crashed twice--but I've only been

>> running it a couple of hours.

>> Let's hope that no more big changes are coming.

>> Michael

> Well, did you read the - by now old - kubuntu advise to not upgrade but do a "move/backup your email, set up new kmail and then import your stuff" advise?

Yes, I did see that advise, but I trends to like to sees things for* myself.* Maybe not the smartest approach, sometimes.

> I tried "migrate" at least twice and then gave up. Moved my mails away, created fresh KMail and imported mails. Worked way better though I also had to move all folders from "KMail-imported" to where I wanted them in "Local Folders".

> And yes, though 4.9 is the best KMail2 this far it still unstable if you ask me. Accidentally moved a folder with subfolders to another folder (hate clickpads, give me touchpad with clickbuttons any day) and moving it back caused some sort of database total hickup. I eventually sorted it, though it took me literally hours and CPU nearly burnt out.

> But this is why my wife use Thunderbird and not KMail - she would just have sat there and "where the h..l did all the mails disappear to"?

I think your wife I'd right.* I'm going to switch to thunderbird as soon as I figure out how to import my maildir folders.

--Michael

Old 09-23-2012, 06:05 AM
"O. Sinclair"

<mailto.sinclair@gmail.com>> wrote:

> [...]

> I tried "migrate" at least twice and then gave up. Moved my mails
away, created fresh KMail and imported mails. Worked way better though I
also had to move all folders from "KMail-imported" to where I wanted
them in "Local Folders".

> And yes, though 4.9 is the best KMail2 this far it still unstable if
you ask me. Accidentally moved a folder with subfolders to another
folder (hate clickpads, give me touchpad with clickbuttons any day) and
moving it back caused some sort of database total hickup. I eventually
sorted it, though it took me literally hours and CPU nearly burnt out.

> But this is why my wife use Thunderbird and not KMail - she would
just have sat there and "where the h..l did all the mails disappear to"?

I think your wife I'd right. I'm going to switch to thunderbird as soon
as I figure out how to import my maildir folders.

Well, it was not meant as an advise to migrate to Thunderbird, not at
all. I consider KMail far better but at times wonder why the ... the
decision to migrate to Akonadi was made when the app clearly was not,
and in some ways still is not, ready for that move.

The other part to complain about is that the whole chain of
Nepomuk-Akonadi-MySQL and the connection to physical mailfolders is, put
mildly, poorly documented so if (when) the shit hits the fan you are in
the dark.

I use Thunderbird for mailing lists and some other stuff but I am
considering migrating almost all of that to KMail actually.. not the
other way around.

Now what you can do is to create new subfolders in mbox format, move
your mails to these and then you are ready to import these to
Thunderbird no problems.

Best
Sinclair

Old 10-08-2012, 06:04 PM
Michael Hirsch

On Sun, Sep 23, 2012 at 12:05 AM, O. Sinclair <o.sinclair@gmail.com> wrote:

On 23/09/2012 04:37, Michael Hirsch wrote:

On Sep 15, 2012 1:22 AM, "O. Sinclair" <o.sinclair@gmail.com

<mailto.sinclair@gmail.com>> wrote:

*>

*> On 14/09/2012 08:15, Michael Hirsch wrote:

*>>

[...]

So does kmail still use filesystem files and folders?* I thought everything is now in mysql.* Is mysql only used to index the searching and the physical files are still on the HD?* I would feel a lot better if that were true.

Thanks,

Michael

Old 10-08-2012, 06:51 PM
Steve Riley

On 2012-10-08 12:04:07 Michael Hirsch <mdhirsch@gmail.com> wrote:

> So does kmail still use filesystem files and folders? I thought everything
> is now in mysql. Is mysql only used to index the searching and the
> physical files are still on the HD? I would feel a lot better if that were
> true.

Looking at mine...

~/.local/share/akonadi/file_db_data/ contains individual files, one for each
email message. Plaintext that I can open in Kate.

~/.local/share/akonadi/db_data/ contains a collection of database files.

...Steve

Old 10-09-2012, 08:52 AM
"O. Sinclair"

<mailto.sinclair@gmail.com>
<mailto.sinclair@gmail.com <mailto.sinclair@gmail.com>>> wrote:

> [...]

not, and in some ways still is not, ready for that move.

The other part to complain about is that the whole chain of
Nepomuk-Akonadi-MySQL and the connection to physical mailfolders is,
put mildly, poorly documented so if (when) the shit hits the fan you
are in the dark.

I use Thunderbird for mailing lists and some other stuff but I am
considering migrating almost all of that to KMail actually.. not the
other way around.

Now what you can do is to create new subfolders in mbox format, move
your mails to these and then you are ready to import these to
Thunderbird no problems.

So does kmail still use filesystem files and folders? I thought
everything is now in mysql. Is mysql only used to index the searching
and the physical files are still on the HD? I would feel a lot better

This blog posting is very clear on this issue:
http://blogs.kde.org/node/4503
title: Akonadi misconception #1: where is my data?

there is also postings in kde forums on forum.kde.org regarding KDE PIM
and several of these deal with location of email and how to find them in
case of Akonadi crash/problems.

Old 10-10-2012, 02:59 PM
Michael Hirsch

On Tue, Oct 9, 2012 at 2:52 AM, O. Sinclair <o.sinclair@gmail.com> wrote:

On 08/10/2012 20:04, Michael Hirsch wrote:

On Sun, Sep 23, 2012 at 12:05 AM, O. Sinclair <o.sinclair@gmail.com

<mailto.sinclair@gmail.com>> wrote:

* * On 23/09/2012 04:37, Michael Hirsch wrote:

* * * * On Sep 15, 2012 1:22 AM, "O. Sinclair" <o.sinclair@gmail.com

* * * * <mailto.sinclair@gmail.com>

* * * * <mailto.sinclair@gmail.com <mailto.sinclair@gmail.com>>> wrote:

* * * * * > On 14/09/2012 08:15, Michael Hirsch wrote:

[...]

Ah, thank you.* That is very helpful.* Maybe I'll give kmail another try.* I should have known that it wouldn't put all my data in a DB, but I guess I felt that the KDE team has made so many bad decisions lately, I had lost a lot of my faith that they woldn't do something truly stupid like that.* I'm glad to hear I was wrong.

Michael