-   -   KDE4 setup (http://www.linux-archive.org/kubuntu-user/699857-kde4-setup.html)

Bill Vance 09-02-2012 08:42 AM

KDE4 setup

Howdy;

A friend is having a rough go of trying to setup KDE4 on
CentOS-6.3, so I got volunteered to help.....:-)

Ok, right from the login/passwd/startkde, he gets:

$DISPLAY is not set or cannot connect to the X server.

Anyone know which/what/where/etc $DISPLAY is, and what it's
supposed to have in it/represent/whatever?

TIA

Bill

Jon Morgan 09-02-2012 02:11 PM

KDE4 setup

See if this helps:

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/662421/no-x11-display-variable-what-does-it-mean

-jon

Cody Smith 09-02-2012 02:36 PM

KDE4 setup

Also, I thought I'd add that tricks that work on one distro won't
necessarily work on another, the safest ( and most hassle--free) way is
to ask on the specific distro's support, but that doesn't mean we won't
try to help. :)

--c_smith