Old 08-29-2012, 09:57 PM
ray burke

Default upgrade k10.10 to k12.04 from live cd

Can anyone help please

I have got my hands on a live cd k12.04, and is it possible to upgrade
my k10.10mm,
as I have read somewhere that you just boot up the k10.10, then load up the live
cd(k12.-04) and do an upgrade.. Then gparted the 40gb on 80gb dive to
use all the 80gb.
But not sure of the procedures(steps) to do so, do you?

ray

Old 08-29-2012, 10:34 PM

No, it will not work that way, when I tried it overwrote the 10.10
install. I think it might upgrade a 10.04, to 12.04, but I ended up
doing the network upgrade of my 10.10 to 11.04, then 11.10.

It should upgrade 11.10 to 12.04 from the disk.

Old 08-30-2012, 03:38 AM
ray burke

On Thu, Aug 30, 2012 at 8:34 AM, <theuteck@gmail.com> wrote:
> No, it will not work that way, when I tried it overwrote the 10.10
> install. I think it might upgrade a 10.04, to 12.04, but I ended up
> doing the network upgrade of my 10.10 to 11.04, then 11.10.
>
> It should upgrade 11.10 to 12.04 from the disk.
>
> On 08/29/2012 04:57 PM, ray burke wrote:
>> Can anyone help please
>>30
>> I have got my hands on a live cd k12.04, and is it possible to upgrade
>> my k10.10mm,
>> as I have read somewhere that you just boot up the k10.10, then load up the live
>> cd(k12.-04) and do an upgrade.. Then gparted the 40gb on 80gb dive to
>> use all the 80gb.
>> But not sure of the procedures(steps) to do so, do you?
>>
>> ray

theuteck@gmail.com,

well I havent got 11.04?

ray

Old 08-30-2012, 06:03 AM
Girard Henri

No, it will not work that way, when I tried it overwrote the 10.10
install. I think it might upgrade a 10.04, to 12.04, but I ended up
doing the network upgrade of my 10.10 to 11.04, then 11.10.

It should upgrade 11.10 to 12.04 from the disk.

I have got my hands on a live cd k12.04, and is it possible to upgrade
my k10.10mm,
as I have read somewhere that you just boot up the k10.10, then load up the live
cd(k12.-04) and do an upgrade.. Then gparted the 40gb on 80gb dive to
use all the 80gb.
But not sure of the procedures(steps) to do so, do you?

ray

theuteck@gmail.com,

well I havent got 11.04?

ray

best install a fresh one... I think there is too much difference between
10.04 and 12.04... wait less than too months and get 12.10 (you could
get it and install it) though it's unstable.

Old 08-30-2012, 06:20 AM
Nils Kassube

ray burke wrote:
> I have got my hands on a live cd k12.04, and is it possible to
> upgrade my k10.10mm,

The supported upgrade path is from either 11.10 to 12.04 LTS or from
10.04 LTS to 12.04 LTS. You can only jump from one release to the next
release or from one LTS release to the next LTS release. Therefore your
path would be 10.10 -> 11.04 -> 11.10 -> 12.04 LTS. But frankly, as
every step takes quite some time, I would install 12.04 LTS instead of
upgrading. However I would make sure at the partitioning step that I
would reuse the existing partition and NOT format it. Then the /home
folder should be preserved. Even though I did this successfully several
times already, I would still make a backup of my valuable data before
the install because you never know if something goes wrong. One final
warning: 12.04 comes with the new kmail2 which is not yet production
ready IMHO.

Nils

Old 08-30-2012, 08:47 PM
ray burke

Thanks for all the advise,
as it looks like I will have to do a clean install of which I have
already apptempted, but have
found some issues in doing so, it is now sitting in 80gb which is what I wanted.
the problem is with my dialup kppp when I run it it comes back with a
window saying-

"sorry plasma desktop shell"
KDElnit could not launch 'kppp':
could not find 'kppp' executable

under gnome ppp canot open /dev/ttyso: permission denied?
and can I use in a terminal 'dmesg' to see if the modem is connected?

also how do I get grub to start as there is no /grub/menulst?

ray

Old 08-30-2012, 09:11 PM
Nils Kassube

ray burke wrote:
> also how do I get grub to start as there is no /grub/menulst?

Well, the config file of the new GRUB2 is /boot/grub/grub.cfg but you
should make changes to /etc/default/grub to make it permanent and then
run the command

sudo update-grub

in a terminal. For details about GRUB2 please have a look at
<https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Grub2>.

And sorry, I can't help you with your kppp problem.

Nils

Old 08-31-2012, 01:30 AM
ray burke

Nils,

I tied the above but not sure what commands go into it, as I want to
dual boot with
my xp pro which is at (on /dev/sdb5)?

ray

Old 08-31-2012, 02:50 AM

You don't have kppp installed which is way it fails. Under gnome you
need to be in the dailout group for it to work.

Grub is now Grub2 and does not use menu.list any more. You should read
up on the new config settings for it at the grub2 site.

Old 08-31-2012, 03:48 AM
"O. Sinclair"

as it looks like I will have to do a clean install of which I have
already apptempted, but have
found some issues in doing so, it is now sitting in 80gb which is what I wanted.
the problem is with my dialup kppp when I run it it comes back with a
window saying-

"sorry plasma desktop shell"
KDElnit could not launch 'kppp':
could not find 'kppp' executable

under gnome ppp canot open /dev/ttyso: permission denied?
and can I use in a terminal 'dmesg' to see if the modem is connected?

also how do I get grub to start as there is no /grub/menulst?

sudo apt-get install kppp
howevever kppp has "issues", should be started with "kdesudo kppp" to
work proper so you have to edit the menus.

dmesg will normally tell you if the modem is recognised

if nothing else works install wvdial if it is not already and use that
from command line, for me on a usb CDMA modem it still works better than
both networkmanager and kppp. Run sudo wvdialconf first with modem
inserted and it will search "everywhere".

as for grub see other recommendations, grub2 is a different beast
altogether. I tend to use System Settings - Startup - Boot module to
change my settings if/when needed

Sinclair