Old 08-31-2012, 05:53 AM
Nils Kassube

Default upgrade k10.10 to k12.04 from live cd

ray burke wrote:
> I tied the above but not sure what commands go into it, as I want to
> dual boot with
> my xp pro which is at (on /dev/sdb5)?

You must be living in down-under if you mix-up above and below. (SCNR)

More seriously: Usually the command

sudo update-grub

should find your XP and add it to the grub menu. OTOH, I'm not sure if
it would search on other disks than sda. So this is what an entry in
"/boot/grub/grub.cfg" for sda1 should look like:

menuentry "Microsoft Windows XP (on /dev/sda1)" {
set root=(hd0,1)
chainloader +1
}

I would assume that you should replace the line "set root=(hd0,1)" with
"set root=(hd1,5)", but I have no chance to test it myself. You could
add the menu entry to the end of the file "/etc/grub.d/40_custom". Then
run the command

sudo update-grub

and reboot. Now you should see the extra entry for XP.

Nils

Old 08-31-2012, 09:05 PM
ray burke

Nils and others,

I have Kppp installed already but would not work, but after several
reboots it is working
as I am on dial-up now in k12.04 sending this email!
At the moment I have my other sata 500gb (4 partition) disk
disconnected, of which
one 116gb part is xp pro sp3 at address on /dev/sdb5.
it was showing with my dual booted xp pro sp3 and k10.10 in grub 1.98
address as windows NT/2000/XP (on /dev/sdb5), so how can I create a grub showing
my 2 disk with xp pro like in the grub 1.98, or can I create grub 1.98?

ray

Old 09-01-2012, 07:43 AM
Nils Kassube

ray burke wrote:
> At the moment I have my other sata 500gb (4 partition) disk
> disconnected, of which
> one 116gb part is xp pro sp3 at address on /dev/sdb5.

Well, if the disk isn't connected, obviously the update-grub script
can't find it and add it to the menu. I think you should first connect
the disk before you proceed.

> it was showing with my dual booted xp pro sp3 and k10.10 in grub 1.98
> address as windows NT/2000/XP (on /dev/sdb5), so how can I create a
> grub showing my 2 disk with xp pro like in the grub 1.98, or can I
> create grub 1.98?

What do you mean with "create grub 1.98"?

Anyway, like I wrote already, it might work if you append these lines to
the file "/etc/grub.d/40_custom":

menuentry "Microsoft Windows XP (on /dev/sdb5)" {
set root=(hd1,5)
chainloader +1
}

Then, with the disk sdb connected, run the command

sudo update-grub

and reboot. If that doesn't work as expected, please let us know what
happens.

Nils