Old 08-18-2012, 06:46 AM
"O. Sinclair"

Default get KMail search on messages working

On Kubuntu 12.04 with KDE updated to 4.9

KMail2 now works better than for some time and my only "gripe" apart
from a somewhat erratic filtering has been that Search for messages was
not working.

Trying to search for a subject like "internet" that I knew should result
in hundreds of hits I would get just a few.

At KDE Forums I found a "sticky" topic about Akonadi and Nepomuk that
lead me to look at a file

/HOME/.kde/share/config/akonadi_nepomuk_feederrc

I edited these lines to these values:
InitialIndexingComplete=false
and
DisableIdleDetection=true

the first one seems to advice the system indexing is done (it was set to
true) and the second one to use CPU regardless of state (it was set to
false).

Saved the file and did from konsole akonadictl stop, akondictl start.

Watched cpu getting crazy with virtuoso-t eating my CPU and let it take
time.

Now searches on Subject, From, To etc takes a little bit time but seems
accurate like in thousands of results in "from: anna" being 1 friend 1
colleague and several years of mails saved.

Now cpu has calmed down and the ......rc file states
InitialIndexingComplete=true

though I left it at the ....Detection=true

YMMV but for me now search seems working and accurate.

I have upgraded over the years so my "rc-files" are years and years old
so this may only impact for those who upgrade and save their
settings/data - if so I think it is a good pointer to the packagers that
some files should be edited/deleted on upgrade

best regards
Sinclair