Old 04-14-2008, 02:09 PM
"Michael Leone"

Default OT - IDC Explains Linux Went Right

On Mon, Apr 14, 2008 at 10:59 AM, Billie Walsh <bilwalsh@swbell.net> wrote:
> http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquirer/news/2008/04/11/idc-explains-linux-went-right
>
> "*IDC RESEARCHERS* reckon that the Linux market will be worth almost $50
> billion by 2011."
>
> <snip>
>
> "Now if only they could drop ridiculous code names like Gutsy Gibbon and
> Loquacious Lemur, they'd be home and dry. "

Heh. But it is true .. in a corporate environment, it's a lot more
professional to say 'I'm running Ubuntu 7.10" rather than "I'm running
Gutsy Gibbon" ... this presumes calls from end-users. Even so,
telling the CEO "we have to replace that Gutsy Gibbon database server"
doesn't sound too good, either. :-)

Michael J. Leone
<mailto:turgon@mike-leone.com>

Mass exterminations, followed by absolute suppression of the survivors.
- Dr. Who, speaking of the Daleks

Old 04-14-2008, 02:20 PM
"p.daniels"

Billie Walsh wrote:
> http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquirer/news/2008/04/11/idc-explains-linux-went-right
>
> "*IDC RESEARCHERS* reckon that the Linux market will be worth almost $50
> billion by 2011."
>
> <snip>
>
> "Now if only they could drop ridiculous code names like Gutsy Gibbon and
> Loquacious Lemur, they'd be home and dry.
Exactly. I move we all switch to sensible names like iNoun, Longhorn,
and, uh... Yahoo!

-pd-

Old 04-14-2008, 02:32 PM
"Michael Leone"

On Mon, Apr 14, 2008 at 10:20 AM, p.daniels <teeahr1@gmail.com> wrote:
> Billie Walsh wrote:
> > http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquirer/news/2008/04/11/idc-explains-linux-went-right
> >
> > "*IDC RESEARCHERS* reckon that the Linux market will be worth almost $50
> > billion by 2011."
> >
> > <snip>
> >
> > "Now if only they could drop ridiculous code names like Gutsy Gibbon and
> > Loquacious Lemur, they'd be home and dry.
> Exactly. I move we all switch to sensible names like iNoun, Longhorn,
> and, uh... Yahoo!

well ... Longhorn was a code name, not an official release name.
That's a bit different ...

Old 04-14-2008, 02:39 PM
"p.daniels"

Michael Leone wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 14, 2008 at 10:20 AM, p.daniels <teeahr1@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Billie Walsh wrote:
>> > http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquirer/news/2008/04/11/idc-explains-linux-went-right
>> >
>> > "*IDC RESEARCHERS* reckon that the Linux market will be worth almost $50
>> > billion by 2011."
>> >
>> > <snip>
>> >
>> > "Now if only they could drop ridiculous code names like Gutsy Gibbon and
>> > Loquacious Lemur, they'd be home and dry.
>> Exactly. I move we all switch to sensible names like iNoun, Longhorn,
>> and, uh... Yahoo!
>>

> well ... Longhorn was a code name, not an official release name.
> That's a bit different ...
Gutsy Gibbon is also a code name, not a release name.

-pd-

Old 04-14-2008, 02:49 PM
"Willy Hamra"

i think gutsy and feisty are perfect names, it is others who said we
should use serious names, but really? who sets these standards? we
should always have some cool names to remind us that we are running
cool OSes that doesnt give a **** about their name, OSes that simply
work, cool name or not.

Old 04-14-2008, 03:31 PM
Ignazio Palmisano

Michael Leone wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 14, 2008 at 10:20 AM, p.daniels <teeahr1@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Billie Walsh wrote:
>> > http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquirer/news/2008/04/11/idc-explains-linux-went-right
>> >
>> > "*IDC RESEARCHERS* reckon that the Linux market will be worth almost $50
>> > billion by 2011."
>> >
>> > <snip>
>> >
>> > "Now if only they could drop ridiculous code names like Gutsy Gibbon and
>> > Loquacious Lemur, they'd be home and dry.
>> Exactly. I move we all switch to sensible names like iNoun, Longhorn,
>> and, uh... Yahoo!
>
> well ... Longhorn was a code name, not an official release name.
> That's a bit different ...

Vista is not a code name and one of google definitions for it is: a view
of the countryside... as nice as it may be, what's to suggest it's an
operating system?

(not that suggesting it would make it anything like a real one...)

I.

Old 04-14-2008, 03:42 PM
"Michael Leone"

On Mon, Apr 14, 2008 at 11:31 AM, Ignazio Palmisano <ignazio_io@yahoo.it> wrote:
> > well ... Longhorn was a code name, not an official release name.
> > That's a bit different ...
>
> Vista is not a code name

It's the official release name.

Old 04-14-2008, 03:53 PM
"p.daniels"

Ignazio Palmisano wrote:
> Michael Leone wrote:

>>> Exactly. I move we all switch to sensible names like iNoun, Longhorn,
>>> and, uh... Yahoo!
>>>
>> well ... Longhorn was a code name, not an official release name.
>> That's a bit different ...
>>

> Vista is not a code name and one of google definitions for it is: a view
> of the countryside... as nice as it may be, what's to suggest it's an
> operating system?
>
> (not that suggesting it would make it anything like a real one...)
>
> I.
I'm still waiting for someone to explain to me what adobe huts have to
do with graphic design. Very unprofessional, donchaknow, no wonder no
one in the business world takes them seriously...

-pd-

Old 04-14-2008, 04:00 PM
Nigel Ridley

Michael Leone wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 14, 2008 at 11:31 AM, Ignazio Palmisano <ignazio_io@yahoo.it> wrote:
>> > well ... Longhorn was a code name, not an official release name.
>> > That's a bit different ...
>>
>> Vista is not a code name
>
> It's the official release name.

I thought they'd changed the name to 'hastalavista' (since loads off win users are
switching back to xp).

Blessings,

Nigel

--