-   -   Cannot see the Grub screen/Kubuntu login after installing Kubuntu 12.04 alongside Windows 7 on Asus U47A Laptop (http://www.linux-archive.org/kubuntu-user/694587-cannot-see-grub-screen-kubuntu-login-after-installing-kubuntu-12-04-alongside-windows-7-asus-u47a-laptop.html)

Jayneil Dalal 08-16-2012 12:56 PM

Cannot see the Grub screen/Kubuntu login after installing Kubuntu 12.04 alongside Windows 7 on Asus U47A Laptop

Hi,

I have an Asus U47A Laptop with no discrete graphics. UEFI is disabled in the BIOS. I had Windows 7 installed by default. So, I installed Kubuntu 12.04 by creating a separate 300GB partition. During the installation, it asked me where to install the bootloader. So, I installed the bootloader on /dev/sda option which selects my entire hard disk I guess. I was also asked to create a separate 1MB BIOS Grub partition before proceeding but I choose to ignore it cause I had the UEFI boot disabled. Now, after installation, the system just loads Windows 7. I cannot see the Kubuntu grub/login screen. So, I went to the BIOS and saw that under boot options, it is still set to Windows bootloader option. So, what do I do now? Should I change the boot entry in the BIOS?If so, then to what(Windows recognizes the new Linux partition as 'D' Drive)? I don't want to remove Windows but dual boot. Any help would be really appreciated.

Cheers,
Jayneil.

uteck 08-16-2012 01:35 PM

Cannot see the Grub screen/Kubuntu login after installing Kubuntu 12.04 alongside Windows 7 on Asus U47A Laptop

It seems like grub is not getting installed. When it says grub will
be installed on /dev/sda it means the Master Boot Record (MBR) section
of that disk, the first 512 bytes, not the whole disk. So it would
replace the Windows boot loader and should list both operating
systems.

I am not that familiar with UEFI, but I would hazard a guess that
since you are not installing the 1MB partition like it is asking, grub
is not getting installed at all.
I think the installer is being overly helpful and detects the UEFI is
there and assumes it is active. I think there is an advanced option
somewhere that gives you more control were grub gets installed, but if
you can't find it, try again and let it make the partition.

On Thu, Aug 16, 2012 at 7:56 AM, Jayneil Dalal <jayneil.dalal@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have an Asus U47A Laptop with no discrete graphics. UEFI is disabled in
> the BIOS. I had Windows 7 installed by default. So, I installed Kubuntu
> 12.04 by creating a separate 300GB partition. During the installation, it
> asked me where to install the bootloader. So, I installed the bootloader on
> /dev/sda option which selects my entire hard disk I guess. I was also asked
> to create a separate 1MB BIOS Grub partition before proceeding but I choose
> to ignore it cause I had the UEFI boot disabled. Now, after installation,
> the system just loads Windows 7. I cannot see the Kubuntu grub/login screen.
> So, I went to the BIOS and saw that under boot options, it is still set to
> Windows bootloader option. So, what do I do now? Should I change the boot
> entry in the BIOS?If so, then to what(Windows recognizes the new Linux
> partition as 'D' Drive)? I don't want to remove Windows but dual boot. Any
> help would be really appreciated.
>
> Cheers,
> Jayneil.

no .sig found
Please restart your browser.

Jayneil Dalal 08-16-2012 03:05 PM

Cannot see the Grub screen/Kubuntu login after installing Kubuntu 12.04 alongside Windows 7 on Asus U47A Laptop

Hi,

Thanks a lot for replying. I tried that once. I mean I created the 1MB partition but did not install the bootloader to it but to /dev/sda. So, this time I will create the 1MB partition and install the bootloader to it and see how it goes. I will update you as soon as I do that.

Jayneil Dalal 08-20-2012 04:26 PM

Cannot see the Grub screen/Kubuntu login after installing Kubuntu 12.04 alongside Windows 7 on Asus U47A Laptop

Hi,
I tried it but it did not work. But, I got it working and below are the details:
Model: Asus U47AOperating System: Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit
UEFI mode
So, Windows was installed in EFI mode. The Asus BIOS supported both the legacy boot and UEFI boot. So, the aim was to install both Xubuntu and WIndows in the same boot mode. There are instructions to install Ubuntu in UEFI mode but I was not feeling confident to take that approach. So, I took the latter one and dual booted Windows and Xubuntu in legacy mode.

Warning: You will format your entire computer. So, make sure to make the back up discs and take the necessary back up. If GPT partitioning or UEFI boot is important to you, then this method is not for you!

Steps:-1. Go into BIOS and disable UEFI. Save settings and restart and go into BIOS again.2. If somewhere there is a setting to delete boot options then delete all the boot options. *Else skip this step. Even though I am pretty sure that you cannot delete CD/DVD from boot option but if you can then don’t do it. Save all settings and restart and go into BIOS again.
3. Put your windows DVD in the optical drive.4. Somewhere (mostly on the last tab of your BIOS if it’s an Asus laptop) you will find an option for boot override. Select your DVD drive and press enter. Remember that this boot over ride option should NOT contain UEFI in it’s name.
5. You will now boot from windows DVD non-UEFI mode.6. During windows installation select “custom install” and then delete all existing partitions on your harddisk. Create partition for windows. When creating this partition windows will automatically make another small partition of about 100MB size as system reserved. Leave the rest of the unallocated space for now. We will take care of that space while installing Ubuntu. Install windows now,
7. Now even after deleting all the partitions , there will be still some GPT data left on the hard drive. As, long as you don't remove it, Xubuntu won't recognize your windows installation. So use a utility called 'fixparts' and delete all the GPT data.
8. Once that is done put your Ubuntu CD in the drive and boot from it again.9. During installation of Ubuntu select the option “do something else” and create a primary partition for Ubuntu.10. Now after creating partition for Ubuntu click on the rest of the unallocated space and click on create new partition again. But this time slected extended partition
11. Once you create extended partition you should be able to see all your unallocated space in a sub menu under this newly created extended partition. In this unallocated space you make rest of your partitions like linux-swap (necessary for linux to work efficiently and for hibernate to work correctly) and other partitions for your data.
12. Make sure that the bootloader device is sda without any partition number after it.13. Proceed with installation. If everything goes well you should be able to dual boot to both Ubuntu and Windows.

Note:-For hibernation/trackpad/other issues , I suggest running Kernel 3.5 or above as it includes a lot of fixes. Also, intel rc6 graphics power saving option was disabled by default for me. So, enabling it boosted battery life by 2 hours!!

I hope this helps someone.
Cheers,Jayneil.