Old 08-13-2012, 12:35 AM
"Richard S. Crawford"

Default Nvidia driver problems

Since applying system updates the other day I have been unable to get my Nvidia driver to work, which means my GUI is all messed up. When I examined /var/log/Xorg.0.log I found the following error:
failed to load the nvidia kernel module

I've tried reinstalling the Nvidia drivers, but that didn't work.
Anyone have any ideas?
--
Sláinte,
Richard S. Crawford (richard@underpope.com)*http://www.underpope.com

Twitter: http://twitter.com/underpope
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/underpope
Google+: http://gplus.to/underpope

Old 08-13-2012, 05:33 AM
Nils Kassube

Richard S. Crawford wrote:
> Since applying system updates the other day I have been unable to get
> my Nvidia driver to work, which means my GUI is all messed up. When
> I examined /var/log/Xorg.0.log I found the following error:
>
> failed to load the nvidia kernel module
>
> I've tried reinstalling the Nvidia drivers, but that didn't work.

As a start to get a somewhat working system, you could rename your
/etc/X11/xorg.conf and restart KDM. Use these commands from the command
line:

sudo mv /etc/X11/xorg.conf /etc/X11/xorg.conf.bak
sudo stop kdm
sudo start kdm

That should start KDM with the Nouveau driver. Then you can have a look
at this page, hoping to find a fix for your problem there:

<https://help.ubuntu.com/community/BinaryDriverHowto/Nvidia>

If that doesn't help, please tell us which Kubuntu version you are using
and if it is the Nvidia driver provided by the Kubuntu repository or if
it is the driver downloaded from the Nvidia site.

Nils

Old 08-13-2012, 03:22 PM
Bruce Marshall

On Monday, August 13, 2012 07:33:56 AM Nils Kassube wrote:
> Richard S. Crawford wrote:
> > Since applying system updates the other day I have been unable to get
> > my Nvidia driver to work, which means my GUI is all messed up. When
> >
> > I examined /var/log/Xorg.0.log I found the following error:
> >

> > failed to load the nvidia kernel module
> >

> > I've tried reinstalling the Nvidia drivers, but that didn't work.

It sounds as though you may have loaded the proprietary Nvidia driver???

I do the same, not liking at all what the nouveau drivers so... (12.04)

But having done this, you need to re-install the nvidia drivers every time
there is a change to the kernel. (not that often)

You said you re-installed... but not which set of drivers... i.e. where you
got them.

Old 08-13-2012, 05:41 PM
"Richard S. Crawford"

Hi all. Thanks for the replies.*
I'm using Kubuntu 12.04.
I tried renaming the xorg.conf file, then start kdm, which only flickered the screen and dropped me back to the command line. When I rebooted, I got the same error as before:

failed to load the nvidia kernel module
I went ahead and uninstalled the Nvidia drivers:
sudo apt-get purge nvidia-current nvidia-173

I rebooted, and got the same error, which indicates to me that I did not manage to remove all of the Nvidia files that are on my system.
When I tried to reinstall nvidia-current, I get the following:

Building for 3.0.0-12-generic and 3.2.0-29-genericBuilding for architecture i686Module build for the currently running kernel was skipped since thekernel source for this kernel does not seem to be installed.

Building initial module for 3.2.0-29-generic
I'm not sure what this means, or how to proceed. Any thoughts?

Old 08-13-2012, 07:47 PM
Nils Kassube

Richard S. Crawford wrote:
> I'm using Kubuntu 12.04.

> When I tried to reinstall nvidia-current, I get the following:
>
> Building for 3.0.0-12-generic and 3.2.0-29-generic
> Building for architecture i686
> Module build for the currently running kernel was skipped since the
> kernel source for this kernel does not seem to be installed.
> Building initial module for 3.2.0-29-generic

IMHO that means that you are currently running kernel 3.0.0-12 which is
from 11.10 IIRC. Reboot to the 3.2.0-29-generic kernel and the Nvidia
driver should be working again. However if it is intentional for some
reason that you are running the old kernel, you should install the
package linux-headers-3.0.0-12-generic from the 11.10 repository and
then reinstall the nvidia-current package which should now succeed
building the module.

Nils

Old 08-13-2012, 08:18 PM
Girard Henri

When I tried to reinstall nvidia-current, I get the following:

Building for 3.0.0-12-generic and 3.2.0-29-generic
Building for architecture i686
Module build for the currently running kernel was skipped since the
kernel source for this kernel does not seem to be installed.
Building initial module for 3.2.0-29-generic

IMHO that means that you are currently running kernel 3.0.0-12 which is
from 11.10 IIRC. Reboot to the 3.2.0-29-generic kernel and the Nvidia
driver should be working again. However if it is intentional for some
reason that you are running the old kernel, you should install the
package linux-headers-3.0.0-12-generic from the 11.10 repository and
then reinstall the nvidia-current package which should now succeed
building the module.

Nils

Have you tried jockey-kde to install them ? Then it is automatic

Old 08-13-2012, 08:30 PM
Nils Kassube

Girard Henri wrote:
> Le 13/08/2012 21:47, Nils Kassube a écrit :
> > Richard S. Crawford wrote:
> >> I'm using Kubuntu 12.04.
> >> When I tried to reinstall nvidia-current, I get the following:
> >>
> >> Building for 3.0.0-12-generic and 3.2.0-29-generic
> >> Building for architecture i686
> >> Module build for the currently running kernel was skipped since
> >> the kernel source for this kernel does not seem to be installed.
> >> Building initial module for 3.2.0-29-generic
> >
> > IMHO that means that you are currently running kernel 3.0.0-12
> > which is from 11.10 IIRC. Reboot to the 3.2.0-29-generic kernel
> > and the Nvidia driver should be working again. However if it is
> > intentional for some reason that you are running the old kernel,
> > you should install the package linux-headers-3.0.0-12-generic from
> > the 11.10 repository and then reinstall the nvidia-current package
> > which should now succeed building the module.
> >

> > Nils
>
> Have you tried jockey-kde to install them ? Then it is automatic

Well, the problem seems to be that Richard uses a kernel from an older
Kubuntu version. Therefore the automatic fails.

Nils

Old 08-13-2012, 08:45 PM
"Richard S. Crawford"

On Mon, Aug 13, 2012 at 12:47 PM, Nils Kassube <kassube@gmx.net> wrote:

Richard S. Crawford wrote:

> I'm using Kubuntu 12.04.

> When I tried to reinstall nvidia-current, I get the following:

> Building for 3.0.0-12-generic and 3.2.0-29-generic

> Building for architecture i686

> Module build for the currently running kernel was skipped since the

> kernel source for this kernel does not seem to be installed.

> Building initial module for 3.2.0-29-generic

IMHO that means that you are currently running kernel 3.0.0-12 which is

from 11.10 IIRC. Reboot to the 3.2.0-29-generic kernel and the Nvidia

driver should be working again. However if it is intentional for some

reason that you are running the old kernel, you should install the

package linux-headers-3.0.0-12-generic from the 11.10 repository and

then reinstall the nvidia-current package which should now succeed

building the module.
Hm. Now the weirdness is that 3.2 doesn't even show up as an option in Grub. But I did sudo updat-grub, and that seems to have fixed that problem. Now X is working and Nvidia drivers seem to be working (mostly) as well. Thanks for the clue!!

I'm still having some problems, though:
* keyboard isn't working beyond the login screen* window decorations are missing* all of my desktop effects are not working

I guess I'll keep hammering away at this for now...

Old 08-14-2012, 04:25 PM
"Richard S. Crawford"

> When I tried to reinstall nvidia-current, I get the following:

> Building for 3.0.0-12-generic and 3.2.0-29-generic

> Building for architecture i686

> Module build for the currently running kernel was skipped since the

> kernel source for this kernel does not seem to be installed.

> Building initial module for 3.2.0-29-generic

IMHO that means that you are currently running kernel 3.0.0-12 which is

from 11.10 IIRC. Reboot to the 3.2.0-29-generic kernel and the Nvidia

driver should be working again. However if it is intentional for some

reason that you are running the old kernel, you should install the

package linux-headers-3.0.0-12-generic from the 11.10 repository and

then reinstall the nvidia-current package which should now succeed

building the module.
Hm. Now the weirdness is that 3.2 doesn't even show up as an option in Grub. But I did sudo updat-grub, and that seems to have fixed that problem. Now X is working and Nvidia drivers seem to be working (mostly) as well. Thanks for the clue!!

I'm still having some problems, though:
* keyboard isn't working beyond the login screen* window decorations are missing* all of my desktop effects are not working

I guess I'll keep hammering away at this for now...
What's really weird is that my keyboard seems to be working fine to a point. I can Alt+Tab+Fx to get to a terminal and I can use my keyboard to navigate menus. I can also use non-KDE applications (e.g., LibreOffice) just fine. It's just with KDE applications that my keyboard doesn't interact with.

Any thoughts on this, anyone?*

Old 08-14-2012, 10:00 PM
"Richard S. Crawford"

> When I tried to reinstall nvidia-current, I get the following:

> Building for 3.0.0-12-generic and 3.2.0-29-generic

> Building for architecture i686

> Module build for the currently running kernel was skipped since the

> kernel source for this kernel does not seem to be installed.

> Building initial module for 3.2.0-29-generic

IMHO that means that you are currently running kernel 3.0.0-12 which is

from 11.10 IIRC. Reboot to the 3.2.0-29-generic kernel and the Nvidia

driver should be working again. However if it is intentional for some

reason that you are running the old kernel, you should install the

package linux-headers-3.0.0-12-generic from the 11.10 repository and

then reinstall the nvidia-current package which should now succeed

building the module.
Hm. Now the weirdness is that 3.2 doesn't even show up as an option in Grub. But I did sudo updat-grub, and that seems to have fixed that problem. Now X is working and Nvidia drivers seem to be working (mostly) as well. Thanks for the clue!!

I'm still having some problems, though:
* keyboard isn't working beyond the login screen* window decorations are missing* all of my desktop effects are not working

I guess I'll keep hammering away at this for now...
What's really weird is that my keyboard seems to be working fine to a point. I can Alt+Tab+Fx to get to a terminal and I can use my keyboard to navigate menus. I can also use non-KDE applications (e.g., LibreOffice) just fine. It's just with KDE applications that my keyboard doesn't interact with.

Any thoughts on this, anyone?*

I ended up doing:
$ sudo apt-get install --reinstall kubuntu-desktop

Which worked.*