Old 08-15-2012, 06:35 AM
"O. Sinclair"

Default Nvidia driver problems

On 14/08/2012 18:25, Richard S. Crawford wrote:

On Mon, Aug 13, 2012 at 1:45 PM, Richard S. Crawford
<richard@underpope.com <mailto:richard@underpope.com>> wrote:

On Mon, Aug 13, 2012 at 12:47 PM, Nils Kassube <kassube@gmx.net
<mailto:kassube@gmx.net>> wrote:

Richard S. Crawford wrote:
> I'm using Kubuntu 12.04.

> When I tried to reinstall nvidia-current, I get the following:
>
> Building for 3.0.0-12-generic and 3.2.0-29-generic
> Building for architecture i686
> Module build for the currently running kernel was skipped
since the
> kernel source for this kernel does not seem to be installed.
> Building initial module for 3.2.0-29-generic

IMHO that means that you are currently running kernel 3.0.0-12
which is
from 11.10 IIRC. Reboot to the 3.2.0-29-generic kernel and the
Nvidia
driver should be working again. However if it is intentional for
some
reason that you are running the old kernel, you should install the
package linux-headers-3.0.0-12-generic from the 11.10 repository and
then reinstall the nvidia-current package which should now succeed
building the module.

Hm. Now the weirdness is that 3.2 doesn't even show up as an option
in Grub. But I did sudo updat-grub, and that seems to have fixed
that problem. Now X is working and Nvidia drivers seem to be working
(mostly) as well. Thanks for the clue!!

I'm still having some problems, though:

* keyboard isn't working beyond the login screen
* window decorations are missing
* all of my desktop effects are not working

I guess I'll keep hammering away at this for now...

What's really weird is that my keyboard seems to be working fine to a
point. I can Alt+Tab+Fx to get to a terminal and I can use my keyboard
to navigate menus. I can also use non-KDE applications (e.g.,
LibreOffice) just fine. It's just with KDE applications that my keyboard
doesn't interact with.

Any thoughts on this, anyone?

Did you possibly upgrade to KDE 4.9 from kubuntu backports ppa? Because
when I did I had to do a dist-upgrade to get all packages, normal ap-get
upgrade held back over a 100 packages as I recall it. And that might
cause loads of weird problems

/Sinclair

Old 08-15-2012, 01:27 PM
"Richard S. Crawford"

* * * * Richard S. Crawford wrote:

* * * * *> I'm using Kubuntu 12.04.

* * * * *> When I tried to reinstall nvidia-current, I get the following:

[...]

Hi Sinclair,
I'm not exactly sure what happened. But I did a reinstall of kubuntu-desktop, and that fixed my problems.*

--
Sláinte,
Richard S. Crawford (richard@underpope.com)*http://www.underpope.com

Twitter: http://twitter.com/underpope