Old 04-14-2008, 02:34 AM
"John DeCarlo"

Default Kubuntu won't run kdm or kdm-kde4

Hello,

I haven't been able to Google the right set of terms for this, though I tried.

Sometime after I installed a beta or alpha of Hardy, with KDE4, I stopped being able to get the graphical login.

After I log on, 'startx' works just fine and everything is OK, more or less.

However, kdm isn't running.*

If I try sudo /etc/init.d/kdm or kdm-kde4, I get the same answer:

"Not starting K Display Manager (kdm-kde4); it is not the default display manager."

So I run dpkg-reconfigure kdm and it lets me choose either kdm or kdm-kde4.* But either way, it doesn't let me start kdm.

Any ideas?

--
John DeCarlo, My Views Are My Own

Old 04-14-2008, 03:11 AM
"D. Michael McIntyre"

On Sunday 13 April 2008, John DeCarlo wrote:
> Any ideas?

I don't really know how any of this works, but I grepped /etc for likely
suspects, and came up with this one:

/etc/X11/default-display-manager

Mine contains one line:

$ cat X11/default-display-manager
/usr/bin/kdm

I'm guessing yours probably has gdm or xdm in it or something, so neither kdm
nor kdm-kde4 will run. It sounds like a bug that dpkg-reconfigure didn't set
it up correctly, if that proves to be the case.

But this is all intuition, and no first-hand knowledge, so I could be way off
base.
--
D. Michael McIntyre

Old 04-14-2008, 03:18 AM
"John DeCarlo"

On Sun, Apr 13, 2008 at 11:11 PM, D. Michael McIntyre <michael.mcintyre@rosegardenmusic.com> wrote:

On Sunday 13 April 2008, John DeCarlo wrote:

> Any ideas?

I don't really know how any of this works, but I grepped /etc for likely

suspects, and came up with this one:

/etc/X11/default-display-manager

Mine contains one line:

$ cat X11/default-display-manager

/usr/bin/kdm

I'm guessing yours probably has gdm or xdm in it or something, so neither kdm

nor kdm-kde4 will run. *It sounds like a bug that dpkg-reconfigure didn't set

it up correctly, if that proves to be the case.

But this is all intuition, and no first-hand knowledge, so I could be way off

base.

Thanks for your ideas.* I guess the dpkg-reconfigure worked to change this file, though.

jdecarlo@calumny:/etc/X11$ cat default-display-manager
/usr/bin/kdm-kde4

Maybe someone can find something interesting in these files:

jdecarlo@calumny:/etc/X11$ cat xinit/xserverrc
#!/bin/sh

# $Id: xserverrc 189 2005-06-11 00:04:27Z branden $

exec /usr/bin/X11/X -nolisten tcp
jdecarlo@calumny:/etc/X11$ cat xinit/xinitrc
#!/bin/bash

# $Xorg: xinitrc.cpp,v 1.3 2000/08/17 19:54:30 cpqbld Exp $

# /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc
#
# global xinitrc file, used by all X sessions started by xinit (startx)

# invoke global X session script
. /etc/X11/Xsession

jdecarlo@calumny:/etc/X11$****

-
-
John DeCarlo, My Views Are My Own

Old 04-14-2008, 05:30 AM
Karl Klinger

John DeCarlo wrote:
> If I try sudo /etc/init.d/kdm or kdm-kde4, I get the same answer:
>
> "Not starting K Display Manager (kdm-kde4); it is not the default
> display manager."

The message is generated by this bit of code in the /etc/init.d/kdm script:

if [ -e $DEFAULT_DISPLAY_MANAGER_FILE ] &&
[ "$HEED_DEFAULT_DISPLAY_MANAGER" = "true" ] &&
[ "$(cat $DEFAULT_DISPLAY_MANAGER_FILE)" != "$DAEMON" ]; then
echo "Not starting K Display Manager (kdm); it is not the default
display manager."

In my script contains:
DAEMON=/usr/bin/kdm"
DEFAULT_DISPLAY_MANAGER_FILE=/etc/X11/default-display-manager
so if $DAEMON and the contents of /etc/X11/default-display-manager don't
match the message is displayed and kdm is not started.

Karl

Old 04-14-2008, 10:35 AM
"Eugene Tretyak"

Hello,

I think something wrong with init.d scripts links..

Try to run

$ sudo ln -s /etc/init.d/kdm /etc/rc2.d/S13kdm
$ sudo ln -s /etc/init.d/kdm-kde4 /etc/rc2.d/S99kdm-kde4

And reboot.

Hope this helps you.

--et

Old 04-15-2008, 01:37 PM
"John DeCarlo"

I think something wrong with init.d scripts links..

Try to run

$ sudo ln -s /etc/init.d/kdm /etc/rc2.d/S13kdm

$ sudo ln -s /etc/init.d/kdm-kde4 /etc/rc2.d/S99kdm-kde4

And reboot.

Hope this helps you.

My links looked OK, but I tried this, just in case.* Didn't work.*

So I dug into the problem a bit more.

I found errors with kinit referencing a UUID problem.* Very similar to what is posted at:

http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/index.php?topic=3091025.new

So I will try the fstab fix and report whether it works or not.

Thanks.

--
John DeCarlo, My Views Are My Own