Old 04-13-2008, 10:31 PM
Larry Hartman

Default Power Management on Laptops

With Kubuntu 7.10 on HP dv8000

I think I have a powermanagment conflict of some sort, fan runs constantly and
only slows down or stops for short periods. The following packages are what
I have loaded based on Adept filtered by the word "power":

acpid
apm
kpowersave
laptop-mode-tools
powermanagement-interface
powermgmt-base

This seems like a lot of packages to do just one function....can someone give
this list a sanity check?

Also would like to have some pointers on what I need to have setup properly
for hibernate//suspend to work. Hibernate returns me to a locked screen, and
suspend will not allow me to resume.

Larry

Old 04-14-2008, 06:18 AM
"Willy Hamra"

i cant help you with sanity checks :P, but as for the hibernate issue,
it used to happen with me, do you have enough swap? you need to make
sure your RAM ro at least what is used of it fits in the swap

Old 04-14-2008, 01:05 PM
Larry Hartman

On Sunday 13 April 2008 11:18:18 pm Willy Hamra wrote:
> i cant help you with sanity checks :P, but as for the hibernate issue,
> it used to happen with me, do you have enough swap? you need to make
> sure your RAM ro at least what is used of it fits in the swap

2 GB swap 2GB physical RAM, I can't imagine that not being enough...

Larry

Old 04-14-2008, 06:10 PM
"Jonas Norlander"

2008/4/14 Larry Hartman <larryhartman50@vzavenue.net>:
> On Sunday 13 April 2008 11:18:18 pm Willy Hamra wrote:
> > i cant help you with sanity checks :P, but as for the hibernate issue,
> > it used to happen with me, do you have enough swap? you need to make
> > sure your RAM ro at least what is used of it fits in the swap
> >
> 2 GB swap 2GB physical RAM, I can't imagine that not being enough...

Hi

I think you need a swap partition or swap file at least as big as your
RAM + Video RAM.
Perhaps some other can confirm that?

/ Jonas

Old 04-21-2008, 04:55 PM
"mauricio trujillo"

I'm having kindda the same problem here. It began when I installed my printer's driver (Canon IP2200). Once it was installed*there was a process that*used all the CPU making the fan go crazy, I figured that out with the top command. Maybe its not your case, but go ahead a look which processes are running when your fan begins to work very hard.

Old 04-22-2008, 02:59 AM
Larry Hartman

On Monday 21 April 2008 09:55:33 am mauricio trujillo wrote:
> I'm having kindda the same problem here. It began when I installed my
> printer's driver (Canon IP2200). Once it was installed there was a process
> that used all the CPU making the fan go crazy, I figured that out with the
> * top* command. Maybe its not your case, but go ahead a look which
> processes are running when your fan begins to work very hard.
>
> On 4/14/08, Jonas Norlander <jonorland@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > issue,

> > > 2 GB swap 2GB physical RAM, I can't imagine that not being enough...
> >
> > Hi
> >
> > I think you need a swap partition or swap file at least as big as your
> > RAM + Video RAM.
> > Perhaps some other can confirm that?
> >
> > / Jonas
> >
> > --

I uninstalled all power mgt tools and reinstalled after extensive search to
make sure I had the correct ones....this cut the fan spin-up back quite a
bit.