Old 04-13-2008, 10:25 PM
deguz

Default Kubuntu 8.04 KDE 4 intel VGA problem

Hi all!
I need your help. I use Kubuntu 8.04, the KDE4 version, and i have
intel VGA card.

lspci | grep VGA
00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Mobile
GM965/GL960 Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 0c)

And my problem is that it seems my VGA card doesn't seem to work normally.
When i run glxgears, it shows only approx 400 fps.

2040 frames in 5.0 seconds = 407.834 FPS
2339 frames in 5.0 seconds = 467.775 FPS
2324 frames in 5.0 seconds = 464.556 FPS
2331 frames in 5.0 seconds = 466.006 FPS
2340 frames in 5.0 seconds = 467.998 FPS
2236 frames in 5.0 seconds = 447.196 FPS

I think the problem is with the driver, i can't configure it normally.
This part of my xorg.conf:

Section "Device"
Identifier "Configured Video Device"
Driver "intel"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
Identifier "Configured Monitor"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
Identifier "Default Screen"
Monitor "Configured Monitor"
Device "Configured Video Device"
EndSection

Section "ServerLayout"
Identifier "Default Layout"
Screen "Default Screen"
InputDevice "Synaptics Touchpad"
EndSection

I have a HP Compaq 6720s laptop, and i'm sure its performance is much
better than this.
Please help me how to configure my VGA card, i don't know what to do.

deguz

Old 04-13-2008, 11:54 PM
"D. Michael McIntyre"

On Sunday 13 April 2008, deguz wrote:
> And my problem is that it seems my VGA card doesn't seem to work normally.
> When i run glxgears, it shows only approx 400 fps.

Are you sure this is abnormal? I've always gotten really crappy glx rendering
speeds with Intel video under Linux. 400 fps is actually on the good side.

Anyway, there probably isn't much of anything you can do to tweak this.
--
D. Michael McIntyre

Old 04-14-2008, 10:43 AM
"Eugene Tretyak"

Hi!

Try some tweaks:
http://blog.nixternal.com/?s=intel

--et

On 14/04/2008, deguz <deeguz@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all!
> I need your help. I use Kubuntu 8.04, the KDE4 version, and i have
> intel VGA card.
>
> lspci | grep VGA
> 00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Mobile
> GM965/GL960 Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 0c)
>
> And my problem is that it seems my VGA card doesn't seem to work normally.
> When i run glxgears, it shows only approx 400 fps.

[...skipped...]

Old 04-14-2008, 07:35 PM
deguz

On 14/04/2008, Eugene Tretyak <etretyak@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi!
>
> Try some tweaks:
> http://blog.nixternal.com/?s=intel
>
> --et

It didn't work to me, my X just can't work with i810 driver. I tried
the same with intel driver, but then the glxgears didn't show more
fps.

Old 04-14-2008, 07:36 PM
deguz

> Are you sure this is abnormal? I've always gotten really crappy glx rendering
> speeds with Intel video under Linux. 400 fps is actually on the good side.
>
> Anyway, there probably isn't much of anything you can do to tweak this.
> --
> D. Michael McIntyre

Well, i'm not sure, but i hope it's abnormal. The desktop effects work
too slow, and than i checked glxgears, and i thought it's not good...

Old 04-16-2008, 06:53 PM
Nigel Ridley

deguz wrote:
> Hi all!
> I need your help. I use Kubuntu 8.04, the KDE4 version, and i have
> intel VGA card.
>
> lspci | grep VGA
> 00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Mobile
> GM965/GL960 Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 0c)
>
> And my problem is that it seems my VGA card doesn't seem to work normally.
> When i run glxgears, it shows only approx 400 fps.
>
> 2040 frames in 5.0 seconds = 407.834 FPS
> 2339 frames in 5.0 seconds = 467.775 FPS
> 2324 frames in 5.0 seconds = 464.556 FPS
> 2331 frames in 5.0 seconds = 466.006 FPS
> 2340 frames in 5.0 seconds = 467.998 FPS
> 2236 frames in 5.0 seconds = 447.196 FPS
>
> I think the problem is with the driver, i can't configure it normally.
> This part of my xorg.conf:
>
> Section "Device"
> Identifier "Configured Video Device"
> Driver "intel"
> EndSection
>
> Section "Monitor"
> Identifier "Configured Monitor"
> EndSection
>
> Section "Screen"
> Identifier "Default Screen"
> Monitor "Configured Monitor"
> Device "Configured Video Device"
> EndSection
>
> Section "ServerLayout"
> Identifier "Default Layout"
> Screen "Default Screen"
> InputDevice "Synaptics Touchpad"
> EndSection
>
> I have a HP Compaq 6720s laptop, and i'm sure its performance is much
> better than this.
> Please help me how to configure my VGA card, i don't know what to do.
>
> deguz

I have a Dell Inspiron 1525 with onboard Intel 965GM controller.
My clean install of Hardy Alpha 5, subsequently upgraded daily - now Beta - installed the
'vesa generic' driver. When I tried the 'xserver-xorg-video-intel' driver (intel), X
wouldn't start and I had to 'sudo dpkg-reconfigure -phigh xserver-
xorg' to get X back again (it defaulted to the 'vesa generic' again).

According to the Dell guys on linux-desktops@lists.us.dell.com:

You should be able to apt-get the "xserver-xorg-video-intel" driver from
Hardy main repo to get full 3D acceleration. I am surprised why that
didn't happen automatically for you when you installed Kubuntu Hardy?

Amit

I filed a bug - Bug 215282. Feel free to add to it.

Blessings,

Nigel

--
OliveRoot Ministries