Old 04-13-2008, 09:30 PM
Michael

Default Installing programs - location

On a Microsoft system, programs are typically installed in the
C:Program Files directory. I know that Linux has some specific
directories as well. My question is what directory is used when
installing a program in Linux manually. For example, a program that is
not installed using apt-get or one of the other package managers. Is it
opt?

Michael

Old 04-13-2008, 09:46 PM
Joel Oliver

Michael wrote:
> On a Microsoft system, programs are typically installed in the
> C:Program Files directory. I know that Linux has some specific
> directories as well. My question is what directory is used when
> installing a program in Linux manually. For example, a program that is
> not installed using apt-get or one of the other package managers. Is it
> opt?
>
> Michael

Yep, opt is the directory for third party binaries. I you compile from
source though, usr/local/bin is usually the install location when you do
a ./configure/make/make install

Old 04-14-2008, 05:11 AM
Nils Kassube

Michael wrote:
> On a Microsoft system, programs are typically installed in the
> C:Program Files directory. I know that Linux has some specific
> directories as well. My question is what directory is used when
> installing a program in Linux manually. For example, a program that
> is not installed using apt-get or one of the other package managers.
> Is it opt?

As it has been mentioned already, /opt and /usr/local are the locations
for system wide installations. However keep in mind, that for Linux there
are no single directories containing _all_ parts of an installed program.
See <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Filesystem_Hierarchy_Standard> for more
details. For a system wide installation I would prefer /usr/local because
then the binaries will be in /usr/local/bin. That directory is included
in your $PATH and you don't need to enter the complete path to the binary
file when you start it from the command line.

As another option users can install programs in their $HOME directories,
but then they are only available for that particular user.

Nils