Old 04-13-2008, 06:07 PM
John Hubbard

Default Sleep problems Inspiron E1505

Does anyone know how to get the sleep/hibernate to work properly on a
dell Inspiron E1505 notebook?
I originally installed dapper 6.10 and since I have upgraded to Edgy,
Eeisty, and then Gutsy. I believe that when I first installed dapper
sleep/hibernate worked out of the box. A few days ago I installed
reformatted, killed my windows partition and installed the Hardy (8.04)
beta. Now when I try to sleep or hibernate it kicks me out of KDE, into
a text screen with messages like:
Syncing filesystes ... done.
Freezing user space processes ... (elapsed 0.00 seconds) done.
Freezing remaining freezable tasks ... (elapsed 0.00 seconds) done.
PM: Preparing system for mem sleep
Suspending console(s)

At this point I can switch between consoles, tty1, tty2, ... but I
cannot log into any of those consoles (typing a username has no
effect). It just sits at this screen until I do a hard reset. I don't
really know how to go about troubleshooting the problem. If anyone can
help my troubleshoot or knows of a forum post or something with the
solution I would really appreciate it.

Other than sleep problems almost everything else seems to work flawlessly.
Thanks in advance.

--
-john
There are only 10 kinds of people,

Old 04-13-2008, 06:18 PM
"Dotan Cohen"

On 13/04/2008, John Hubbard <ender8282@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Does anyone know how to get the sleep/hibernate to work properly on a
> dell Inspiron E1505 notebook?
> I originally installed dapper 6.10 and since I have upgraded to Edgy,
> Eeisty, and then Gutsy. I believe that when I first installed dapper
> sleep/hibernate worked out of the box. A few days ago I installed
> reformatted, killed my windows partition and installed the Hardy (8.04)
> beta. Now when I try to sleep or hibernate it kicks me out of KDE, into
> a text screen with messages like:
> Syncing filesystes ... done.
> Freezing user space processes ... (elapsed 0.00 seconds) done.
> Freezing remaining freezable tasks ... (elapsed 0.00 seconds) done.
> PM: Preparing system for mem sleep
> Suspending console(s)
>
> At this point I can switch between consoles, tty1, tty2, ... but I
> cannot log into any of those consoles (typing a username has no
> effect). It just sits at this screen until I do a hard reset. I don't
> really know how to go about troubleshooting the problem. If anyone can
> help my troubleshoot or knows of a forum post or something with the
> solution I would really appreciate it.
>
> Other than sleep problems almost everything else seems to work flawlessly.
> Thanks in advance.

Do you have the ATI X1400 video card? Are you using the proprietary
driver? If you answered yes to both questions, then sleep will not
work for you. It's in the 7.10 release notes. I have the same notebook
and I'm still on Feisty for that reason.

Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com
http://gibberish.co.il

A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?

Old 04-13-2008, 06:18 PM
"Dotan Cohen"

On 13/04/2008, John Hubbard <ender8282@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Does anyone know how to get the sleep/hibernate to work properly on a
> dell Inspiron E1505 notebook?
> I originally installed dapper 6.10 and since I have upgraded to Edgy,
> Eeisty, and then Gutsy. I believe that when I first installed dapper
> sleep/hibernate worked out of the box. A few days ago I installed
> reformatted, killed my windows partition and installed the Hardy (8.04)
> beta. Now when I try to sleep or hibernate it kicks me out of KDE, into
> a text screen with messages like:
> Syncing filesystes ... done.
> Freezing user space processes ... (elapsed 0.00 seconds) done.
> Freezing remaining freezable tasks ... (elapsed 0.00 seconds) done.
> PM: Preparing system for mem sleep
> Suspending console(s)
>
> At this point I can switch between consoles, tty1, tty2, ... but I
> cannot log into any of those consoles (typing a username has no
> effect). It just sits at this screen until I do a hard reset. I don't
> really know how to go about troubleshooting the problem. If anyone can
> help my troubleshoot or knows of a forum post or something with the
> solution I would really appreciate it.
>
> Other than sleep problems almost everything else seems to work flawlessly.
> Thanks in advance.

Do you have the ATI X1400 video card? Are you using the proprietary
driver? If you answered yes to both questions, then sleep will not
work for you. It's in the 7.10 release notes. I have the same notebook
and I'm still on Feisty for that reason.

Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com
http://gibberish.co.il

A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?

Old 04-13-2008, 06:28 PM
John Hubbard

Dotan Cohen wrote:
> On 13/04/2008, John Hubbard <ender8282@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>> Does anyone know how to get the sleep/hibernate to work properly on a
>> dell Inspiron E1505 notebook?
>> I originally installed dapper 6.10 and since I have upgraded to Edgy,
>> Eeisty, and then Gutsy. I believe that when I first installed dapper
>> sleep/hibernate worked out of the box. A few days ago I installed
>> reformatted, killed my windows partition and installed the Hardy (8.04)
>> beta. Now when I try to sleep or hibernate it kicks me out of KDE, into
>> a text screen with messages like:
>> Syncing filesystes ... done.
>> Freezing user space processes ... (elapsed 0.00 seconds) done.
>> Freezing remaining freezable tasks ... (elapsed 0.00 seconds) done.
>> PM: Preparing system for mem sleep
>> Suspending console(s)
>>
>> At this point I can switch between consoles, tty1, tty2, ... but I
>> cannot log into any of those consoles (typing a username has no
>> effect). It just sits at this screen until I do a hard reset. I don't
>> really know how to go about troubleshooting the problem. If anyone can
>> help my troubleshoot or knows of a forum post or something with the
>> solution I would really appreciate it.
>>
>> Other than sleep problems almost everything else seems to work flawlessly.
>> Thanks in advance.
>>

> Do you have the ATI X1400 video card? Are you using the proprietary
> driver? If you answered yes to both questions, then sleep will not
> work for you. It's in the 7.10 release notes. I have the same notebook
> and I'm still on Feisty for that reason.

$ lspci
00:02.1 Display controller: Intel Corporation Mobile 945GM/GMS/GME,
943/940GML Express Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 03)

I don't remember checking the enhanced graphics option when I ordered
the laptop. Every time before this I have had to install the
915resolution package. This time things worked without installing it.
I think that I did try to install it later.

Old 04-13-2008, 06:28 PM
John Hubbard

Old 04-14-2008, 01:34 AM
DigitalPig

"Dotan Cohen" <dotancohen@gmail.com> writes:

> Do you have the ATI X1400 video card? Are you using the proprietary
> driver? If you answered yes to both questions, then sleep will not
> work for you. It's in the 7.10 release notes. I have the same notebook
> and I'm still on Feisty for that reason.
I have ATI X600 in my laptop. I had the same problem before. But I
upgraded to the latest flgrx drive and sleep/hibernate works fine. You'd
better try that.

> Dotan Cohen
>
> http://what-is-what.com
> http://gibberish.co.il
> א-ב-ג-ד-ה-ו-ז-ח-ט-י-ך-כ-ל-ם-מ-ן-*-ס-ע-ף-פ-ץ-צ-ק-ר-ש-ת
>
> A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.

DigitalPig
E-mail: digitalpiglee AT gmail DOT com
ALL WE SEEN IS ILLUSION.

Old 04-14-2008, 01:34 AM
DigitalPig

Old 04-14-2008, 01:25 PM
Lus Silva

> I have ATI X600 in my laptop. I had the same problem before. But I
> upgraded to the latest flgrx drive and sleep/hibernate works fine. You'd
> better try that.
What do you mean, the latest. Did you compile from source, or the latest in
the repos? I've been trying to make that work for ages and had no success so
far...

--
Lus A. C. Silva
lacsilva@gmail.com

Old 04-14-2008, 03:31 PM
Realty Development

Please help me stop all these emails from coming to my inbox.I hitt he unsucribe button.

Thanks.james taylor