Old 04-13-2008, 05:28 PM
cherryfinals

Default Several folder is locked

I have thousands of pics in hundreds of folders and sub-folders on my
system. Many of these images are from my camera.

When I tried to copy a group of new images from a temp folder to the
proper folder, it wouldn't let me. Permission denied...

When I highlight the folder, select 'Properties' and try to set all
permissions properly, it won't allow it.

How do I load Konquerer in admin/root mode so I can blow away all the
locked permissions in my graphic folders?

BTW - These folders were not locked and I just copied other images into
them less than a month ago.

Stan

-Ed Howdershelt

Old 04-13-2008, 05:59 PM
Johnny Ernst Nielsen

søndag den 13. April 2008 kvad cherryfinals:
> How do I load Konquerer in admin/root mode so I can blow away all
> the locked permissions in my graphic folders?

Press Alt+F2
Type kdesu konqueror

Best regards )

Johnny )

Old 04-13-2008, 06:00 PM
Donn

On Sunday, 13 April 2008 19:28:18 cherryfinals wrote:
> When I tried to copy a group of new images from a temp folder to the
> proper folder, it wouldn't let me. Permission denied...
Wherever that temp folder is, it's not "owned" by your user name. You can
probably copy/move those pics by running konqueror as root:
Press Alt+F2, type:
kdesu konqueror
Press enter
Enter your user password in the popup.

Konq should open shortly, it will be in root mode. You can now move your
images to wherever. After that change the properties and owner to your
username on the folder. Close konqeror before you do any damage!

HTH

Old 04-14-2008, 06:00 AM
Constantinos Maltezos

On Sunday 13 April 2008 12:28:18 cherryfinals wrote:
> How do I load Konquerer in admin/root mode so I can blow away all the
> locked permissions in my graphic folders?
>
> BTW - These folders were not locked and I just copied other images into
> them less than a month ago.

If the folders were *not* locked prior to now, it makes me want to assume that
they are normal folders in your home folder. If this is the case, using
Konqueror in superuser mode will only exacerbate the problem because the more
you use it to move files around and create directories, the more you will
have to use it to do anything. Because when you move a file, create a file
or create a directory in Konqueror in superuser mode, it creates with owner
and group permissions for "root". If I am correct that A) these folders
should belong to your username and B) that they exist under your home
directory and C) that they're part of a native Linux filesystem, then the
following is a better solution:

Open Dolphin and navigate to the folder *containing* the folders to which you
do not have access. Press F4 (you could also click on the right where it
says "Open Terminal Here", but the one thing that annoys me about that is
that if I accidentally run my mouse over another folder, it'll open Konsole
there). When Konsole starts, use your username (let's say it's bob) and
type:

sudo chgrp -R bob *

and

sudo chmod -R bob *

Remember to replace "bob" with your username.

I hate giving non-GUI instructions these days, but I poked and prodded around
Dolphin and Konqueror and couldn't figure out a GUI way to change user and
group permissions. (That's probably just me.)

Anyway, if any of the three assumptions I mentioned earlier are untrue, please
ignore this.

Old 04-14-2008, 06:38 AM
"Willy Hamra"

Constantinos Maltezos , there is a GUI way, you need to remember that
you used sudo in order to chmod, you will need to kdesu konqueror, and
now you can right-click the file or folder you want, click properties,
go to the permissions tab, and there you are! change them from there.
but really, CLI is proving to be a lot simpler :P

Old 04-14-2008, 06:43 AM
Constantinos Maltezos

On Monday 14 April 2008 1:38:32 Willy Hamra wrote:
> Constantinos Maltezos , there is a GUI way, you need to remember that
> you used sudo in order to chmod, you will need to kdesu konqueror, and
> now you can right-click the file or folder you want, click properties,
> go to the permissions tab, and there you are! change them from there.
> but really, CLI is proving to be a lot simpler :P

Very true, but when you go around telling people that the CLI is the better
way, some people take that and run with it, saying that it's an example of
how far behind Linux is from Windows - as if their stupid GUI way is better
than our stupid GUI way.

Anyway, thanks for pointing that out. You learn something new every day.

Old 04-14-2008, 09:49 AM
"Jonas Norlander"

2008/4/14 Constantinos Maltezos <pandarsson@yahoo.com>:
> On Sunday 13 April 2008 12:28:18 cherryfinals wrote:
> > How do I load Konquerer in admin/root mode so I can blow away all the
> > locked permissions in my graphic folders?
> >
> > BTW - These folders were not locked and I just copied other images into
> > them less than a month ago.
>
> If the folders were *not* locked prior to now, it makes me want to assume that
> they are normal folders in your home folder. If this is the case, using
> Konqueror in superuser mode will only exacerbate the problem because the more
> you use it to move files around and create directories, the more you will
> have to use it to do anything. Because when you move a file, create a file
> or create a directory in Konqueror in superuser mode, it creates with owner
> and group permissions for "root". If I am correct that A) these folders
> should belong to your username and B) that they exist under your home
> directory and C) that they're part of a native Linux filesystem, then the
> following is a better solution:
>
> Open Dolphin and navigate to the folder *containing* the folders to which you
> do not have access. Press F4 (you could also click on the right where it
> says "Open Terminal Here", but the one thing that annoys me about that is
> that if I accidentally run my mouse over another folder, it'll open Konsole
> there). When Konsole starts, use your username (let's say it's bob) and
> type:
>
> sudo chgrp -R bob *
>
> and
>
> sudo chmod -R bob *

Or to do that with just one command do "sudo chown -R bob:bob
/home/bob" to change
owner and group of all files and directories in bobs home directory.

/Jonas

Old 04-14-2008, 11:59 AM
Constantinos Maltezos

On Monday 14 April 2008 4:49:53 Jonas Norlander wrote:
> Or to do that with just one command do "sudo chown -R bob:bob
> /home/bob" to change
> owner and group of all files and directories in bobs home directory.
>
> /Jonas

Ack! Good catch. Thanks, it's been a while since I've had to mess with it.