Old 08-02-2012, 03:59 PM
Karl Klinger

Default running a shell script from a launcher without opening a shell window

On 12-07-31 03:15 PM, Michael Hirsch wrote:

I use squirrel to look at databases. It's a java app that provides a
gui for examining many different DB flavors. It's pretty good.

I created an icon for it in my KDE panel so that I can run it with one
click. My problem is that is always opens a shell window which is
useless to me.

Squirrel usually launches from the shell script squirrel.sh.
Squirrel.sh makes certain that the environment is sane, then runs java
with appropriate args. When I create an icon to run squirrel.sh, it
opens a konsole window running squirrel.sh.

Is there a way to create an icon for a .sh file that doesn't open a
konsole window?

I'm running 12.04, though this happened with 11.04 and 11.10, as well.

Thanks,

Michael

I have a similar situation with a shell script starting a java app. The
.desktop file contains the line "Terminal=0". I assume this is what
prevents it opening a console window.

Karl

Old 08-09-2012, 11:07 PM
Michael Hirsch

[...]

Thanks Karl, that did it.* * I finally found the file in my ~/.local/share/application directory.

FYI, "terminal=false" also works.

Michael

Old 08-09-2012, 11:20 PM
Mike McGinn

On Thursday, August 09, 2012 19:07:43 Michael Hirsch wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 2, 2012 at 9:59 AM, Karl Klinger <karlok@fastmail.fm> wrote:
> > On 12-07-31 03:15 PM, Michael Hirsch wrote:
> >> I use squirrel to look at databases. It's a java app that provides a
> >> gui for examining many different DB flavors. It's pretty good.
> >>
> >> I created an icon for it in my KDE panel so that I can run it with one
> >> click. My problem is that is always opens a shell window which is
> >> useless to me.
> >>
> >> Squirrel usually launches from the shell script squirrel.sh.
> >> Squirrel.sh makes certain that the environment is sane, then runs java
> >> with appropriate args. When I create an icon to run squirrel.sh, it
> >> opens a konsole window running squirrel.sh.
> >>
> >> Is there a way to create an icon for a .sh file that doesn't open a
> >> konsole window?
> >>
> >> I'm running 12.04, though this happened with 11.04 and 11.10, as well.
> >>
> >> Thanks,
> >>
> >> Michael
> >
> > I have a similar situation with a shell script starting a java app. The
> > .desktop file contains the line "Terminal=0". I assume this is what
> > prevents it opening a console window.
>
> Thanks Karl, that did it. I finally found the file in my
> ~/.local/share/application directory.
>
> FYI, "terminal=false" also works.
>
> Michael
I also run squirrel under Kubuntu Lucid (Kubulucid ??). When I installed it
the installer created a menu entry for it. I subsequently added it to my
panel. I like squirrel for some tasks, the mysql query browser for others. I
also use acqua datastudio and ms sql enterprise manager running in a win 2000
VM. I find for designing tables the native tools work best.

--
Mike McGinn KD2CNU
Ex Uno Plurima