Old 07-29-2012, 01:42 AM
Lutz Ostkamp

Default 12.04 installer crashes at manual partitioning

Hi,

I am trying to install Kubuntu 12.04 on my desktop. I have set up an
encrypted LVM with a root, swap, and separate home partition + an
unencrypted /boot, and I have manually formatted them.

When I start the installer, I get to manual partitioning, where I want
to set mount points etc. When I set the settings for a partition in the
popup window and then click OK, the installer quits and I get back to
the live dekstop, without an error message. (like described here:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/base-installer/+bug/572622)

This usually happens on the second partition I set up, the first works
fine. It is not tied to a specific partition, because I have tried
different orders.

Workarounds described here did not work:

Now, is this a known problem, and are there any workarounds? I remember
having the same problem when I installed 11.10 on my laptop, but I got
it to work after a few attempts there.

Using the alternate CD is not really an option at the moment, because I
have wiped my PC, and I can't burn another CD (unless you can burn one
from the live system with only one CD drive?).

Any help is appreciated!

greets,
Lutz

Old 07-29-2012, 06:00 AM
"O. Sinclair"

[...]

I have experienced this several times on both 11.04 and 11.10. Thing is
I don't exactly recall how I get around it... but I THINK that setting
up the swap partition before /home / and the others does the trick. Can
not test as this is my "production" computer. But eventually I have
always managed to get by that bug/problem.

Good luck
Sinclair

Old 07-29-2012, 06:14 AM
Nigel Ridley

[...]

Never tried it myself with a Live CD but you could, if the software exists on the Live CD, create
a bootable thumbdrive (like folks have to do for mini-laptops that don't have a CD drive).

Nigel

--
PrayingForIsrael.net
http://www.prayingforisrael.net/

Old 07-29-2012, 05:09 PM
Ryan Gauger

Old 07-29-2012, 05:09 PM
Bruce Marshall

On Sunday, July 29, 2012 03:42:15 AM Lutz Ostkamp wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am trying to install Kubuntu 12.04 on my desktop. I have set up an
> encrypted LVM with a root, swap, and separate home partition + an
> unencrypted /boot, and I have manually formatted them.
>
> When I start the installer, I get to manual partitioning, where I want
> to set mount points etc. When I set the settings for a partition in the
> popup window and then click OK, the installer quits and I get back to
> the live dekstop, without an error message. (like described here:
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/base-installer/+bug/572622)
>
> This usually happens on the second partition I set up, the first works
> fine. It is not tied to a specific partition, because I have tried
> different orders.
>
> Workarounds described here did not work:
>
> Now, is this a known problem, and are there any workarounds? I remember
> having the same problem when I installed 11.10 on my laptop, but I got
> it to work after a few attempts there.
>
> Using the alternate CD is not really an option at the moment, because I
> have wiped my PC, and I can't burn another CD (unless you can burn one
> from the live system with only one CD drive?).
>
> Any help is appreciated!
>
> greets,
> Lutz

Can't offer any help because this problem has existed for the last 3 or 4
releases. I installed a copy of 12.04 just two days ago and again, it bombed
on the manual disk setup.

I can usually get away with about 4 manual entries so my work around is to
just limit my setup to /boot, /, /home, and one other.. then I go in
after the install and use my old fstab to add in the ones I left out and put
them into the new fstab.

"I've been trying for some time to develop a life style that doesn't require
my presence." - Gary Trudeau

Old 07-29-2012, 05:21 PM
Bruce Marshall

On Sunday, July 29, 2012 12:09:08 PM Ryan Gauger wrote:
> I usually install using a live CD, but if installation fails or won't
> continue, as Lutz said, I try a USB, which always works (and has never
> failed when using USB).
>
> ---Ryan

I almost always use an iso image built to a USB drive... and I still always
get the failures... and I did two days ago.

Old 07-29-2012, 06:08 PM
Lutz Ostkamp

Am 29.07.2012 08:00, schrieb O. Sinclair:
> On 29/07/2012 03:42, Lutz Ostkamp wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I am trying to install Kubuntu 12.04 on my desktop. I have set up an
>> encrypted LVM with a root, swap, and separate home partition + an
>> unencrypted /boot, and I have manually formatted them.
>>
>> When I start the installer, I get to manual partitioning, where I want
>> to set mount points etc. When I set the settings for a partition in the
>> popup window and then click OK, the installer quits and I get back to
>> the live dekstop, without an error message. (like described here:
>> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/base-installer/+bug/572622)
>>
>> This usually happens on the second partition I set up, the first works
>> fine. It is not tied to a specific partition, because I have tried
>> different orders.
>>
>> Workarounds described here did not work:
>>
>> Now, is this a known problem, and are there any workarounds? I remember
>> having the same problem when I installed 11.10 on my laptop, but I got
>> it to work after a few attempts there.
>>
>> Using the alternate CD is not really an option at the moment, because I
>> have wiped my PC, and I can't burn another CD (unless you can burn one
>> from the live system with only one CD drive?).
>>
>> Any help is appreciated!
>>
> I have experienced this several times on both 11.04 and 11.10. Thing is I don't exactly recall how I get around it... but I THINK that setting up the swap partition before /home / and the others does the trick. Can not test as this is my "production" computer. But eventually I have always managed to get by that bug/problem.
>
> Good luck
> Sinclair

Thanks everyone for your comments. I got around the problem now by using the alternate image on a USB stick. (I had some trouble getting my PC to boot from USB drives, that's why I didn't do it earlier.)

This thing with the swap that Sinclair suggested did not work. swap is usually detected automatically, so I didn't have to set it up.

cheers,
Lutz

Old 07-30-2012, 07:47 AM
"O. Sinclair"

[...]

Good to see you managed. As I said I don't quite remember HOW I got
around it, just that I eventually always do. I play around quite a lot
with my setup so reinstallation happens (too) regularly and I normally
use a USB created with Remastersys. And meet this problem you had... but
somehow get around it.