Old 04-12-2008, 10:56 AM
Valter Mura

Default Quoting in messages

Hi All,

this is not a problem in Kubuntu, but in the list.

Is it possible for all the good kubuntu Mates here to correctly quote the
messages in the replies? I'm getting replies of 10 Kb instead of 2 Kb, and
the space in my disk is very precious... :-)

So mates, quote, no... kuote!
--
Valter
Gnupgp ID: 0xD7274715 in hkp://keyserver.ubuntu.com

Old 04-12-2008, 11:25 AM
Jonathan Patrick Davies

On Saturday 12 April 2008 12:56:37 Valter Mura wrote:
> Is it possible for all the good kubuntu Mates here to correctly quote the
> messages in the replies? I'm getting replies of 10 Kb instead of 2 Kb, and
> the space in my disk is very precious... :-)

Yes, I feel the same. It's best to snip out everything apart from the part that
you want to quote, rather than *everything*.

Makes things a lot tidier.

Jonathan
--
Kubuntu - Pure KGX http://www.kubuntu.org

Old 04-12-2008, 11:34 AM
Ulrich Grün

Am Samstag, 12. April 2008 13:25:55 schrieb Jonathan Patrick Davies:

<-snip->
> tidier
<-snip->

I second the motion ;-)

--
Greetz,
Ulrich.

OS: Kubuntu 7.10 (Linux)

Old 04-12-2008, 11:46 AM
Donn

> I second the motion ;-)
Even though this will turn into a monster thread that will flame, I second the
seconded motion

Old 04-12-2008, 12:20 PM
Martin Laberge

On Saturday 12 April 2008 07:46:40 Donn wrote:
> > I second the motion ;-)
> Even though this will turn into a monster thread that will flame, I second the
> seconded motion

I have to let you take a little analysis of this wish, in regard to space on disk.

A text message fully quoted , with a full page of text, is about 2k/page.

A TWO-GIG on your multigig HD, contains 1 MILLION messages of 2k

Dont you have one or two gig on those multiples gig, dedicated to
your mail data. ?

Do you really expect to manage 1 Million mail messages.?

The space consumption in mailboxes is MOSTLY due to personal messages
containing funny PPS or WMV from your friends, or HTML mails from
announcers and spammers. Those can be from 1Meg to 20+Megs Each.
That is about 1,000 to 10,000 times greater than a big text message.

I understand your concern about the length of a message, but i hardly
beleive that SPACE on DISK is a real concern here.

Just my 2cents.

--
Martin Laberge
mlsoft@videotron.ca

Old 04-12-2008, 02:06 PM
Michael Leone

Jonathan Patrick Davies wrote:
> On Saturday 12 April 2008 12:56:37 Valter Mura wrote:
>> Is it possible for all the good kubuntu Mates here to correctly quote the
>> messages in the replies? I'm getting replies of 10 Kb instead of 2 Kb, and
>> the space in my disk is very precious... :-)
>
> Yes, I feel the same. It's best to snip out everything apart from the part that
> you want to quote, rather than *everything*.
>
> Makes things a lot tidier.

True. But if you're really worried about the extra 8K that a message
takes up, you could always delete it, and just rely on the online
archive. Then you're wasting no space at all.

Or get an new HD, of course - I've seen 500G HDs for $89US. Can't beat
that price. If your HD space is so precious, this seems the obvious
answer, distinct and apart from any space that email might take up.

Of course, the best reason to do it is the email etiquette reason.

Old 04-12-2008, 02:17 PM
"Jussi Schultink"

On Sat, Apr 12, 2008 at 5:06 PM, Michael Leone <turgon@mike-leone.com> wrote:
> Jonathan Patrick Davies wrote:
> > On Saturday 12 April 2008 12:56:37 Valter Mura wrote:
> >> Is it possible for all the good kubuntu Mates here to correctly quote the
> >> messages in the replies? I'm getting replies of 10 Kb instead of 2 Kb, and
> >> the space in my disk is very precious... :-)
> >
> > Yes, I feel the same. It's best to snip out everything apart from the part that
> > you want to quote, rather than *everything*.
> >
> > Makes things a lot tidier.
>
> True. But if you're really worried about the extra 8K that a message
> takes up, you could always delete it, and just rely on the online
> archive. Then you're wasting no space at all.
>
> Or get an new HD, of course - I've seen 500G HDs for $89US. Can't beat
> that price. If your HD space is so precious, this seems the obvious
> answer, distinct and apart from any space that email might take up.
>
> Of course, the best reason to do it is the email etiquette reason.
>

> > Jonathan

Jussi

Old 04-12-2008, 02:26 PM
Valter Mura

Il sabato 12 aprile 2008 16:17:46 Jussi Schultink ha scritto:

> You May also wish to peruse this document:

This is exactly what I meant. :-)

Thank you Jussi!

Old 04-12-2008, 02:46 PM
Donn

> I understand your concern about the length of a message, but i hardly
> beleive that SPACE on DISK is a real concern here.
Not so much disk space as a lengthly download time - which is rough on slow
and limited connections.

But you make a good point about size.

Old 04-12-2008, 03:11 PM
Norberto Bensa

Quoting Jussi Schultink <jussi01@ubuntu.com>:

> You May also wish to peruse this document:

I find this funny.

Did you realised that you quoted the whole email, with quotes and all,
just to add two lines pointing to a mailinglist etiquette?

Just let this thread die. It pop ups every now and then in every
mailing I'm subscribed to.

Regards,
Norberto