Old 04-12-2008, 10:30 AM
"Dario Figueira"

Default HELP! KDE task/menu bar disappeared and I can't get it back!

*
Hello all, this threads title says it all.

Although my problem isn't the the auto-hide bug,
I was trying to remove a package with Adept Package Manager (i can't exactly recall what, maybe GSL or Glib) because the package provided was of an older version and i needed the newest, which i had already downloaded.

But in the middle of it, it stopped, when i asked to "show details" a little window explaining that usually when removing or updating ... KDE closed all sessions (maybe), but he wasn't able to close 1 of them, YES or NO to close that session.

But i couldn't click Yes or No, or do anything about it.
So i tried closing Adept; Everything exploded and i rebooted.

Now i have no TaskBar and no Konkeror..

The command "kicker" is not recognized so

dcop kicker kicker showTaskBarConfig
doesn't do anything for me
Also when i shut down, "kdevelop3 crashed and caused the signal 11 (SIGSEGV)"
Also Also "sudo apt-get install ..." doesn't work in recovery mode because it seems he can't acess the internet, and so can't download stuff, he says "blablabla.ubunto.pt can't be resolved" (i have internet by the Network, by a cable :P lol)

How do i reinstall what seems to be lacking? (i've tought about reinstalling Kubunto but was afraid of losing everything else installed, it took me the better part of 3 days to get everything up and running [YARP, Ace, OpenCV, GTk+, ...])

Thank you so much for your time

--
Dario Figueira

Old 04-12-2008, 11:17 AM
Donn

> How do i reinstall what seems to be lacking? (i've tought about
> reinstalling Kubunto but was afraid of losing everything else installed,
You could reinstall kubuntu-desktop from the Kubuntu CD.
You might need to remark the sources in /etc/apt/sources.list other than the
deb cdrom line (usually at the top).

Then:
Insert the CD,
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install kubuntu-desktop

Try that.

Old 04-12-2008, 11:51 AM
Knapp

On Sat, Apr 12, 2008 at 1:17 PM, Donn <donn.ingle@gmail.com> wrote:
> > How do i reinstall what seems to be lacking? (i've tought about
> > reinstalling Kubunto but was afraid of losing everything else installed,
> You could reinstall kubuntu-desktop from the Kubuntu CD.
> You might need to remark the sources in /etc/apt/sources.list other than the
> deb cdrom line (usually at the top).
>
> Then:
> Insert the CD,
> sudo apt-get update
> sudo apt-get install kubuntu-desktop
>
> Try that.

Just press alt-f1 then it will pop-up then left click the bar and
choose configure pannel. Set it to what it should be and your problem
is gone. This is a stupid bug that has been there for YEARS with no
fix.

--
Douglas E Knapp

Old 04-12-2008, 01:41 PM
"Dario Figueira"

On 4/12/08, Donn <donn.ingle@gmail.com> wrote:
> How do i reinstall what seems to be lacking? (i've tought about
> reinstalling Kubunto but was afraid of losing everything else installed,

You could reinstall kubuntu-desktop from the Kubuntu CD.

You might need to remark the sources in /etc/apt/sources.list other than the
deb cdrom**line (usually at the top).

Then:
Insert the CD,
sudo apt-get update
sudo**apt-get install kubuntu-desktop

Err http://pt.archive.ubuntu.com dapper Release.gpg
**Could not resolve 'pt.archive.ubuntu.com'

and a bunch more like that; It seems he is not looking into the CD to get the update, but trying to acess the internet..

How do i fix that? Force it to look into the CD; Or open the Wireless Manager to make it connect to the wireless network; Or make it connect to the Network to the router so he can have net?

On 4/12/08, Knapp <magick.crow@gmail.com> wrote:
Just press alt-f1 then it will pop-up then left click the bar and
choose configure pannel. Set it to what it should be and your problem
is gone. This is a stupid bug that has been there for YEARS with no
fix.

Thank for your time, but i did say*in*my*original*post*that it was not the usual auto-hide bug

Old 04-12-2008, 03:02 PM
Donn

> and a bunch more like that; It seems he is not looking into the CD to get
> the update, but trying to acess the internet..
You need to edit the /etc/apt/sources.list file and make sure the line:
deb cdrom:[Kubuntu 7.10 _Gutsy Gibbon_ - Release i386 (20071016.1)]/ gutsy
main restricted
is at the top and all the other entries in the entire file are remarked-out
(start with a #). The quickest way to do this is to copy sources.list to
sources.list.original:
1. sudo -i
2. cd /etc/apt
3. cp sources.list sources.list.orig
4. rm sources.list (be VERY SURE YOU BACKED IT UP)
5. cat > sources.list
6. Now type in this line:
deb cdrom:[Kubuntu 7.10 _Gutsy Gibbon_ - Release i386 (20071016.1)]/ gutsy
main restricted
7. Press enter and then Ctrl+D
8. Make sure it worked:
less sources.list
9. If you see the line you typed then proceed, else try from 5 again (or use
vi or nano to edit the file)
10. Now tell apt to update:
apt-get update
11. That should look for the cd (I am not 100% sure)
12. Now perform the task:
apt-get install kubuntu-desktop

You may have to fiddle at the end, perhaps removing kubuntu-desktop and
re-installing it.

If (when) that all works, make sure you replace the old sources.list from the
backup you made...

HTH

Old 04-12-2008, 05:15 PM
Nigel Henry

On Saturday 12 April 2008 15:41, Dario Figueira wrote:
> On 4/12/08, Donn <donn.ingle@gmail.com> wrote:
> > > How do i reinstall what seems to be lacking? (i've tought about
> > > reinstalling Kubunto but was afraid of losing everything else
> > > installed,
> >
> > You could reinstall kubuntu-desktop from the Kubuntu CD.
> > You might need to remark the sources in /etc/apt/sources.list other than
> > the
> > deb cdrom line (usually at the top).
> >
> > Then:
> > Insert the CD,
> > sudo apt-get update
> > sudo apt-get install kubuntu-desktop
>
> Err http://pt.archive.ubuntu.com dapper Release.gpg
> Could not resolve 'pt.archive.ubuntu.com'
> and a bunch more like that; It seems he is not looking into the CD to get
> the update, but trying to acess the internet..
>
> How do i fix that? Force it to look into the CD; Or open the Wireless
> Manager to make it connect to the wireless network; Or make it connect to
> the Network to the router so he can have net?

Hi Dario. Could not resolve is a DNS problem. What do you have
in /etc/resolve.conf ?

There should be something like:
nameserver <followed by an IP address>

Mine shows:
nameserver 213.36.80.1
This is no use to you, as it's my ISP's DNS server.

You've lost Konqueror for the moment, but do you have any other webbrowsers
installed? Firefox, or Opera. If so can you access websites. This may confirm
a DNS problem if websites are not accessable.

I don't know how usefull it would be to access your Dapper CD, and re-install
kubuntu-desktop, as Donn suggested above. I'm sure KDE has been upgraded
since your original install, and possibly the upgraded KDE required other
upgraded dependencies so that KDE would work ok.

I have an upgraded to Dapper install that was installed from a Breezy CD, and
would not consider using the Breezy CD's now, as the Breezy packages are
ancient.

Personally I think I'd try to resolve the DNS problem, but if you want to try
your Dapper CD, su to root in KDE's Konsole, type "kwrite" ( no quotes), and
navigate to /etc/apt/sources.list. Comment out the lines with a # at the
start of all lines that are for accessing a repo.

Now back to the top of the page, and remove any # marks that are at the start
of lines referring to the cdrom.

Save the changes, insert the Dapper cdrom into the drive, then do, sudo
apt-get update, and hopefully apt-get update will retrieve all the packages
on the cdrom, and list them as available.

As Donn mentions above, now do an apt-get install kubuntu-desktop, and see how
it goes.

I still think it would be better to resolve the DNS problems though, but
that's just me.

Nigel.

Old 04-12-2008, 07:28 PM
"Dario Figueira"

On 4/12/08, Donn <donn.ingle@gmail.com> wrote:

10. Now tell apt to update:
apt-get update
11. That should look for the cd (I am not 100% sure)
12. Now perform the task:

apt-get install kubuntu-desktop

Donn, i'm sorry for all the bother but we're still not there yet.

Ok, so i found out what my CD reference was and so filled out the sources.list with
deb cdrom:[Kubuntu 6.06.1 _Dapper Drake_ - Release i386 (20060806.1)]/ dapper
main restricted

seems fine, so here goes "apt-get update"

no errors, but no listing of packages either , just a
"Reading package lists... Done"

which leads to a*"apt-get install kubuntu-desktop"
returning
"Reading package lists... Done

Building dependency tree... Done
Package kubuntu-desktop is not available, but is referred to by another package.
is only available from another source

E: Package kubuntu-desktop has no installation candidate"

On 4/12/08, Nigel Henry <cave.dnb2m97pp@aliceadsl.fr> wrote:

Hi Dario. Could not resolve is a DNS problem. What do you have
in /etc/resolve.conf ?
nameserver*192.168.2.1
(yes,*i*have*a*router*lol)*

You've lost Konqueror for the moment, but do you have any other webbrowsers
installed? Firefox, or Opera. If so can you access websites. This may confirm
a DNS problem if websites are not accessable.

:S**no*i*don't*have*any*other*web*browser*instal led*

I don't know how usefull it would be to access your Dapper CD, and re-install
kubuntu-desktop, as Donn suggested above. I'm sure KDE has been upgraded
since your original installwell i've only used it for work, not recreation ^^ so i haven't really fiddled with it and never upgraded from what i installed from the CD, so.. reinstalling from the CD seemed a pretty good option, altho if we managed to get him downloading stuff and installing it AND therefore working, i would be overjoyed nonetheless

*

type "kwrite" ( no quotes), and
navigate to /etc/apt/sources.list. Comment out the lines with a # at the
start of all lines that are for accessing a repo.

O_O, kwrite is gone too! how the heck did i manage to implode Kubuntu not so throughly but with cirurgical precision?

--
Dario Figueira

Old 04-12-2008, 08:51 PM
Donn

On Saturday, 12 April 2008 21:28:49 Dario Figueira wrote:
> which leads to a "apt-get install kubuntu-desktop"
> returning
> "Reading package lists... Done
> Building dependency tree... Done
> Package kubuntu-desktop is not available, but is referred to by another
> package.
> This may mean that the package is missing, has been obsoleted, or
> is only available from another source
> E: Package kubuntu-desktop has no installation candidate"
Hmm... try:
apt-cache search X
where X is variously:
desktop
kubuntu
kde
etc.

It should be there, but perhaps it's not under the usual name on the CD for
some reason. Sorry, getting to the limits of my knowledge here and my CD Rom
has died so I can't even test it for you..

Old 04-12-2008, 09:59 PM
"Dario Figueira"

On 4/12/08, Donn <donn.ingle@gmail.com> wrote:

Hmm... try:
apt-cache search X
where X is variously:
desktop
kubuntu
kde
etc.

It should be there, but perhaps it's not under the usual name on the CD for
some reason. Sorry, getting to the limits of my knowledge here and my CD Rom

has died so I can't even test it for you..

Let there open a hole in the ground and swallow me up

by doing apt-cache search desktop i found a package "kdesktop"; tried intalling it, it said it was already installed; i removed it and tried intalling it... and

"Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree... Done
Package kubuntu-desktop is not available, but is referred to by another package.

is only available from another source
E: Package kubuntu-desktop has no installation candidate"

.... -.-'

now what little desktop there still was is lost..

I'm resigned to reinstalling kubuntu; Is there a way to do it without having the target partition formated?

Sorry Donn, thanks alot for the effort anyway :s
--
Dario Figueira

Old 04-13-2008, 01:26 AM
"Dario Figueira"

SOLVED

already reinstalled kubuntu =p.. struggling with reinstalling all the stuff i need