Old 04-12-2008, 03:37 AM
Fred Schuelzky

Default 7.10 won't recognize my usb turntable

D. Michael McIntyre wrote:
> On Friday 11 April 2008, Fred Schuelzky wrote:
>

>> Does any one know how to get 7.10 kubuntu to recognize a usb
>> turntable? The unit and cords etc. work fine in windows?
>>

> Working fine in Windows means the hardware is OK, but otherwise doesn't imply
> anything. "A usb turntable" isn't specific enough to be of further help.
> What make and model of turntable? We need to look and see if any information
> is available about whether or not it is supported.
>
> Also, it could be that it really *is* supported, and you don't recognize
> what's happening under the hood, or how to interact with it. I would expect
> that if it works, it probably runs off the snd-usb-audio driver, and you
> probably have to interface with it as a soundcard, probably as hw:1 or
> something.
>
> If you run kinfocenter (or System -> KInfocenter Information Center) you can
> look at the Sound info to see if it shows up.

Being new to ubuntu I wasn't even aware of kinfocenter. After trying
the turntable plugged in and unplugged, the os is seeing the usb device.
The turntable is a Numark TTXUSB.

Your right i wasn't aware of what was happening under the hood, and
don't know how to make it work.

Kinfo under sound card:
Card Config
Hda nvidia at 0xfe 028000 irq 17
Burr-brown from Ti usb audio codec at usb-0000:00:02.0-4, full s

Audio devices:
0: ALC662 Analog (duplex)
1: usb audio (duplex

I guess I need to start figuring out how to get Audacity or what ever to
see the turntable. I Want to digitize my old LP collection and also
play records through the computer.

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction

Fred

Old 04-12-2008, 04:25 AM
"D. Michael McIntyre"

On Friday 11 April 2008, Fred Schuelzky wrote:
> Audio devices:
> 0: ALC662 Analog (duplex)
> 1: usb audio (duplex

This is great news.

> I guess I need to start figuring out how to get Audacity or what ever to
> see the turntable. I Want to digitize my old LP collection and also
> play records through the computer.

I obviously can't test this from here, but it looks like if you go to Edit ->
Preferences and look at Playback Device and Recording Device, you ought to
find your device on the list. I'm not sure what the actual text will say,
but I bet it's human-readable.

Audacity is probably good enough for your purposes, but if you want to play
records live, I can't think of a likely way to do that unless you use JACK to
route the audio input from the record player to the audio output on whatever
soundcard you normally use. (Well, unless you use a physical audio cable to
connect them, if that is an option.)

JACK is a pretty huge subject, and I would encourage you to seek out the
Ubuntu Studio Users list, or the Linux Audio Users list for further help with
that. First, I would encourage you to just get started with Audacity, and
see what happens from there.

Good luck!
--
D. Michael McIntyre

Old 04-12-2008, 12:17 PM
Eric

D. Michael McIntyre wrote:

> Audacity is probably good enough for your purposes, but if you want to play
> records live, I can't think of a likely way to do that unless you use JACK to
> route the audio input from the record player to the audio output on whatever
> soundcard you normally use. (Well, unless you use a physical audio cable to
> connect them, if that is an option.)

I have the same turntable and the same problem. The turntable comes with
Audacity for both Windows and Macs. It even has a printed manual for
Audacity.

The turntable also allows you to hook it up to your computer in the same
way you hook up any other turntable to a PC. Using that method, I have
been able to use Audacity. This method required a pre-amp

Eric Jackson

Old 04-13-2008, 01:37 PM
Fred Schuelzky

Eric wrote:
> D. Michael McIntyre wrote:
>

>> Audacity is probably good enough for your purposes, but if you want to play
>> records live, I can't think of a likely way to do that unless you use JACK to
>> route the audio input from the record player to the audio output on whatever
>> soundcard you normally use. (Well, unless you use a physical audio cable to
>> connect them, if that is an option.)
>>

> I have the same turntable and the same problem. The turntable comes with
> Audacity for both Windows and Macs. It even has a printed manual for
> Audacity.
>
> The turntable also allows you to hook it up to your computer in the same
> way you hook up any other turntable to a PC. Using that method, I have
> been able to use Audacity. This method required a pre-amp
>

> Eric Jackson
>

>> JACK is a pretty huge subject, and I would encourage you to seek out the
>> Ubuntu Studio Users list, or the Linux Audio Users list for further help with
>> that. First, I would encourage you to just get started with Audacity, and
>> see what happens from there.
>>
>> Good luck
Eric
I was under the impression that the Numark TTXUSB has a built in
preamp. It has a gain control on the panal where you plug in the audio
cables / usb cable.

Appreciate the input.

Fred

Old 04-13-2008, 05:44 PM
Eric

Fred Schuelzky wrote:
> Eric wrote:
>> D. Michael McIntyre wrote:
>>

>>> Audacity is probably good enough for your purposes, but if you want to play
>>> records live, I can't think of a likely way to do that unless you use JACK to
>>> route the audio input from the record player to the audio output on whatever
>>> soundcard you normally use. (Well, unless you use a physical audio cable to
>>> connect them, if that is an option.)
>>>

>> I have the same turntable and the same problem. The turntable comes with
>> Audacity for both Windows and Macs. It even has a printed manual for
>> Audacity.
>>
>> The turntable also allows you to hook it up to your computer in the same
>> way you hook up any other turntable to a PC. Using that method, I have
>> been able to use Audacity. This method required a pre-amp
>>

>> Eric Jackson
>>

>>> JACK is a pretty huge subject, and I would encourage you to seek out the
>>> Ubuntu Studio Users list, or the Linux Audio Users list for further help with
>>> that. First, I would encourage you to just get started with Audacity, and
>>> see what happens from there.
>>>
>>> Good luck
> Eric
> I was under the impression that the Numark TTXUSB has a built in
> preamp. It has a gain control on the panal where you plug in the audio
> cables / usb cable.
>
> Appreciate the input.
>
> Fred

Oh I guess I have a different model. My turntable is a Newmark TTUSB (no
x). It's the cheaper model.

I don't have 7.10 installed. I have 6.06 LTS installed. I just tried it
again. Success! It worked.

I also have a USB music keyboard. I can't remember if I read this about
the keyboard or the turntable but with one of them, the device had to be
plugged in and turned on when you booted up. My computer wouldn't
recognize them if you plugged it in after booting.

In Audacity, my input is "line" I went to Audacity's preference and
selected Audio I/O. There were two choices listed under both Playback
and Recording. The default didn't work for recording so I selected the
other choice and it recorded. My playback and my record devices are
different. Also in Preferences on the I/O page I selected to have the
sound playback while recording. I clicked on the monitor switches.
That's it. It recorded.

Eric Jackson