Old 04-12-2008, 01:59 AM
Michael

Default Default Applications

I am trying to change a default program. When I goto Settings > KDE
Components > Default Applications, the Configure - KDE Control Module
comes up. However, the screen is blank except for the bottom push
buttons, Help, Defaults, Apply (which is grayed out) and Cancel.

What's the scoop?

Mike

Old 04-12-2008, 02:07 AM
"D. Michael McIntyre"

On Friday 11 April 2008, Michael wrote:

> buttons, Help, Defaults, Apply (which is grayed out) and Cancel.
>
> What's the scoop?

I have no idea, but I see the same thing. It appears to work normally if you
run this module from KControl though.
--
D. Michael McIntyre

Old 04-12-2008, 02:15 AM
Michael

D. Michael McIntyre wrote:

buttons, Help, Defaults, Apply (which is grayed out) and Cancel.

What's the scoop?

I have no idea, but I see the same thing. It appears to work normally if you
run this module from KControl though.

Wow!* That did the trick.* But - there is no option for media player.*
I would like VLC as I have uninstalled Kaffeine.* Is there an option to
add a default media player?

Old 04-12-2008, 11:40 AM
Martin Laberge

On Friday 11 April 2008 22:15:19 Michael wrote:
> D. Michael McIntyre wrote:
> On Friday 11 April 2008, Michael wrote:
>

> buttons, Help, Defaults, Apply (which is grayed out) and Cancel.
>
> What's the scoop?
>

> I have no idea, but I see the same thing. It appears to work normally if you
> run this module from KControl though.
>
> Wow!* That did the trick.* But - there is no option for media player.* I would like VLC as I have uninstalled Kaffeine.* Is there an option to add a default media player?

in kcontrol go to file-associations and select the type of file (ex: avi)
and move up the list the program you prefer to use to open this type of file
and repeat for all types of medias

--
Martin Laberge
mlsoft@videotron.ca

Old 04-12-2008, 11:50 AM
Donn

On Saturday, 12 April 2008 04:15:19 Michael wrote:
> But - there is no option for media player.
> I would like VLC as I have uninstalled Kaffeine.  Is there an option
> to add a default media player?
You could also right-click the media file and choose open-with. Then
choose 'other' and find the app binary (a bit of a drag). I think it will
then update the system to remember that for next time.

Old 03-09-2009, 12:09 AM
Ian

8.04 / 3.5.9

I have changed the default application for web browsing to Konqueror in
System Settings.
However, every time I click on a link within Konqueror, it asks me if I
want to save the file
or open it with the default browser which states it is Firefox2. I even
went to far as to
uninstall Firefox but that didn't help.

I installed Opera, and when using Opera, I can click on any link and it
will go that link.
Again, not so in Konqueror. I changed the default browser to Opera, but
when using
Konqueror, the system still tries to load Firefox. Where else but in
System Settings is
this being set?

Ian

Old 06-05-2011, 07:54 PM
Ignas Anikevicius

Hello list,

I am very sorry if it is just a basic question but I failed to get
google to help me. Could someone point me how to set up default
applications, so automagical applications like skype, firefox and
similar would understand what is my default browser, mail client and so
on. Up to now I was using BROWSER environmental variable, which seemed
to help me. However, I want more integration of applications now.

Thanks a lot,
Ignas A.

Old 06-05-2011, 08:34 PM
Volker Armin Hemmann

On Sunday 05 June 2011 20:54:01 Ignas Anikevicius wrote:
> Hello list,
>
> I am very sorry if it is just a basic question but I failed to get
> google to help me. Could someone point me how to set up default
> applications, so automagical applications like skype, firefox and
> similar would understand what is my default browser, mail client and so
> on. Up to now I was using BROWSER environmental variable, which seemed
> to help me. However, I want more integration of applications now.
>
> Thanks a lot,
> Ignas A.

.local/share/applications/mimeapps.list

--
#163933

Old 06-05-2011, 08:57 PM
Dale

Ignas Anikevicius wrote:

Hello list,

I am very sorry if it is just a basic question but I failed to get
google to help me. Could someone point me how to set up default
applications, so automagical applications like skype, firefox and
similar would understand what is my default browser, mail client and so
on. Up to now I was using BROWSER environmental variable, which seemed
to help me. However, I want more integration of applications now.

Thanks a lot,
Ignas A.

If you use KDE, system settings, default applications, then adjust your
settings there. I'm not sure which GUI you use since you didn't mention
it so this may or may not help.

Dale

:-) :-)

Old 06-05-2011, 09:15 PM
Ignas Anikevicius

On 05/06/11 21:34, Volker Armin Hemmann wrote:

> .local/share/applications/mimeapps.list
Thanks, I have found that, but I failed to find any documentation on
what is the syntax of the file as this file on my laptop is very sparse.

I.