Old 04-11-2008, 09:11 PM
Christophe Guilbert

Default openoffice 2.4 on Kubuntu 6.06

Hi every one ,
I have Kubuntu 6.06 installed, I experience too much problem with the
default 2.02 Openoffice. I would like to upgrade it to 2.4.
Is anyone tried Openoffice 2.4 on Kubuntu 6.06 ?
Any problem with Kubuntu 6.06 ?
Best way to install it ?

Thanks for any info.

Chris

PS: looking forward for the next kubuntu LTS ...

Old 04-11-2008, 10:07 PM
Jonathan Jesse

Chris

Just a reminder in regards to the last bit of your note that 8.04 will not be a LTS version of Kubuntu. 8.04 will be supported for 18 months. 6.06 willstill expire with the release of 8.04 this month

Old 04-11-2008, 10:10 PM
Bruce Marshall

On Friday 11 April 2008, Christophe Guilbert wrote:
> Hi every one ,
> I have Kubuntu 6.06 installed, I experience too much problem with the
> default 2.02 Openoffice. I would like to upgrade it to 2.4.
> Is anyone tried Openoffice 2.4 on Kubuntu 6.06 ?
> Any problem with Kubuntu 6.06 ?
> Best way to *install it ?
>
> Thanks for any info.

I'm running 2.4 on 7.10 Kubuntu

I converted the RPMs with alien and used dpkg to install.

Be aware that you will probably be reminded there are updates for your
original version of OO and you should NOT apply these.

Gets to be a pain to bypass them though.

Old 04-11-2008, 11:14 PM
"Jonas Norlander"

2008/4/12 Bruce Marshall <bmarsh@bmarsh.com>:
> On Friday 11 April 2008, Christophe Guilbert wrote:
> > Hi every one ,
> > I have Kubuntu 6.06 installed, I experience too much problem with the
> > default 2.02 Openoffice. I would like to upgrade it to 2.4.
> > Is anyone tried Openoffice 2.4 on Kubuntu 6.06 ?
> > Any problem with Kubuntu 6.06 ?
> > Best way to install it ?
> >
> > Thanks for any info.
>
> I'm running 2.4 on 7.10 Kubuntu
>
> I converted the RPMs with alien and used dpkg to install.
>
> Be aware that you will probably be reminded there are updates for your
> original version of OO and you should NOT apply these.
>
> Gets to be a pain to bypass them though.

Some reason why you can't uninstall the version shipped with kubuntu first?

Old 04-12-2008, 01:22 AM
Bruce Marshall

On Friday 11 April 2008, Jonas Norlander wrote:
> > *Be aware that you will probably be reminded there are updates for your
> > *original version of OO *and you should NOT apply these.
> >
> > *Gets to be a pain to bypass them though.
>
> Some reason why you can't uninstall the version shipped with kubuntu first?

I did that.... several times Even tried going back to the 2.3 version that
Ubuntu supports.... but when I do that it seems I get a messed up version
without any icons on the menu bar... It works, but something is not right.

But for instance, right now, 7.10 is telling me I have updates for 12 pieces
of OO plus python-uno. So it is trying to update the installed version.

And it gives info that looks like:

Candidate version: 1.2.3.0-1ubuntu5.3

Installed version: 2.4.0-9287

So it thinks it should install the ubuntu version.

Old 04-12-2008, 06:50 AM
Mark Fraser

On Friday 11 April 2008 22:11:51 Christophe Guilbert wrote:
> Hi every one ,
> I have Kubuntu 6.06 installed, I experience too much problem with the
> default 2.02 Openoffice. I would like to upgrade it to 2.4.
> Is anyone tried Openoffice 2.4 on Kubuntu 6.06 ?
> Any problem with Kubuntu 6.06 ?
> Best way to install it ?

You could always wait a couple of weeks until 8.04 is out which will come with
2.4.0.

Old 04-12-2008, 10:58 AM
"Willy Hamra"

yup, usually the deb package prepared by the kubuntu team is always the best, so better wait for it to be in the official repos rather than have everything mixed up. i heard 2.4 will only be available in the hardy repos, but not sure about it though.