-   -   Akonadi - Is it really necessary? (http://www.linux-archive.org/kubuntu-user/682611-akonadi-really-necessary.html)

uteck 07-11-2012 07:33 PM

Akonadi - Is it really necessary?

If you are using kmail or anything contained in kontact then akonadi
is used for the settings and data. If you use the nepomuk search,
then you need it as well, or is that just virtuoso? I think akonadi
even stores the activities settings if you use them.
If you don't use any of that extra crap like most people, then akonadi
is just a resource hog.

I got tired of my calendar not syncing in Kontact and switched to
Thunderbird this week, so I don't have a reason to keep it, but I
can't remove it since it is so tightly integrated into KDE.

On Wed, Jul 11, 2012 at 2:15 PM, Richard S. Crawford
<richard@underpope.com> wrote:
> I turned on my computer this morning (I'd added a new keyboard), and noticed
> that it was running at a glacial pace. I opened a terminal window and
> executed "top" just to see what was going on, and found four processes
> related to Akonadi running, and each taking up at least 33% of CPU power.
>
> I've always wondered what Akonadi actually is and whether I actually need it
> on my system. If not, how do I get rid of it, assuming it continues to slow
> down my computer so much?
>
> --
> Sláinte,
> Richard S. Crawford (richard@underpope.com) http://www.underpope.com
> Twitter: http://twitter.com/underpope
> Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/underpope
> Google+: http://gplus.to/underpope

no .sig found
Please restart your browser.

"Richard S. Crawford" 07-11-2012 07:37 PM

Akonadi - Is it really necessary?

If you are using kmail or anything contained in kontact then akonadi

is used for the settings and data. *If you use the nepomuk search,

then you need it as well, or is that just virtuoso? *I think akonadi

even stores the activities settings if you use them.

If you don't use any of that extra crap like most people, then akonadi

is just a resource hog.

I got tired of my calendar not syncing in Kontact and switched to

Thunderbird this week, so I don't have a reason to keep it, but I

can't remove it since it is so tightly integrated into KDE.
I don't use Kontact or KMail or anything like that. I use GMail, Google Calendar, etc., for all those tasks. I conclude that Akonadi isn't doing anything on my computer other than hogging up valuable CPU usage.

*