I have been a long time Debian user, running their unstable version on
my desktop since the late 1990s. I have a Core 2 Duo processor and was
running in 64 bit mode. However, I have decided that I wanted to back
off from being at the bleeding edge ALL the time, whilst I didn't want
to go as far back from the bleeding edge as Debian Stable (which I run
on my home server). Since upgrading to 64 bit mode, I haven't seen any
particular benefits, and quite a lot of downsides, so I decided to
install the standard Intel '86 version. Since I am a KDE user, kubuntu
is the obvious choice - and since I am still relatively brave I
Because of the downgrade to 32bit, it really means an install from
scratch, but ensuring I don't erase the partitions containing the my
data. I think some of this is the cause of the problems.
I have a pair of SATA drives each configured in 4 identical partitions.
100MB /boot partition, 2G swap, 4G root, 154G LVM. The 1st, 3rd and
4th Partitions are three separate RAID devices. The 4th Partition has
LVM on it, as a Volume Group on top of the RAID. My data that I needed
to keep was all on Logical Volumes in the VG, but through experience of
with Debian, the 4G root device is not big enough and various strategic
directories (/var/cache, /var/lib, /usr/lib/openoffice, /usr/share) are
also logical volumes too.
Using a lot of manaual input to the partition section of installation, I
was able to configure my new solution to reformat the filesystems on
root, /boot, and the 4 other lv mentioned above, but leave the rest
intact, and proceeded to install.
However, when it came to install grub as the boot loader it failed
totally. When I checked on virtual terminal 4, the log was complete
I was able to recover and finish installation (after about 3 of 4
attempts, starting from scratch each time) by rebooting the original
CD, going into rescue mode and starting a shell, mounting all my key
volumes and then using apt-get install to install grub. I then ran
grub-install to manually install it in /dev/sda and /dev/sdb. I
finally called update-grub to create a menu.lst file and make the
initrd images etc.
Upon reboot I appeared to have a working system.
Since I am new around here, I am not sure if this is a known problem
with raid installations, or indeed where I should be reporting the
issue. Can someone point me in the right direction.
kubuntu-users mailing list
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users